• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capullo selling his Batman artwork online
1 1

296 posts in this topic

The market supply is really small for these since McFarlane is not selling his ones (it seems) Capello is not selling his ones (it seems) the only way to get one was through Miki.

There were actually two others I would have liked to have got via Artist Choice but since I already had 2 this was way low priority...also the OFFER starts at 8K - that was not the price, it was throw out a number but don't let it be below 8K and by the way it won't be 8K !!!

Its supply and demand and resources to purchase...all I know is supply is tight, demand is unknown, resources are unknown.

the one on HA was not very exciting, the one on Comiclink is more so...may be interesting to see.

One of Greg's most endearing qualities is the sheer amount of terrific artwork he produces working monthly so it's really artificial scarcity. The Spawn covers were so consistently good there are only a handful that I wouldn't consider a Capullo grail piece to own but the Batman covers are a different story.

I keep thinking in comparison to David Finch, Marc Silvestri, Whilce Portacio, Dale Keown because Greg's fan base is basically the same people, and that's mostly the Spawn stuff. I think Jim lee or Campbell level pricing would be a stretch but who knows.

The stuff inked by Mcfarlane cross into Todd's fan base but if you're spending the kind of money he's asking for top level examples, you can get McSpidey covers and splashes.

The HA auction, Romitaman had this one listed for awhile a few years ago. I see a Greg bought back the cover of Spawn 41 at some point which sold at HA for 2700, i think. With Danny Miki quadrupling his asking prices for Spawn covers that have been sitting unsold for at least 5 years now at 6-8k. I wouldn't be surprised if this one didn't somehow manage to stay in line with the new valuations and I will take any auction price near the 30k level with a grain of salt.

Edited by Koa

That's nice. Will it reach $30k?

Will it even reach 6-8? Judging by how many years the other covers sat at these prices (until yesterday), it's unlikely. It'll be interesting to see nevertheless.

Personally I think it will reach $10k

+1

Here's the thing, the covers up at the artists choice have been sitting for years at 6k and then at 8. if nobody was willing to pay that for those particular covers what makes anyone think they'll sell at 30?

Pricing psychology. I'm not a money guy so maybe someone else can chime in if there is a specific name of the pricing strategy. Expensive = good. Apparently a couple years ago Kanye West was selling plain white t-shirts for $120 and they sold out quickly.

I think what you are talking about is manipulation of perceived value of an item, but the one making it. That if they make it highly priced, it will be seen as more valuable and desirable, based solely on such a commanding asking price.

Yeah, that has been known to work, but usually only in the short term. Because, inevitably, you will get someone who wants one, not out of love or desire for the item, but to see a profit from reselling it ever higher. But once that speculation dreams are dashed and word get out these items are worthy anywhere near the asking price, the demand quickly drops away by all, save the most ardent die-hards.

In short, it is a strategy that might get you some money in the short term, but will hurt you in the long one. I wouldn't suggest using it in any valid business model.

I think to a degree it's like the art of Bill Waterson and Gary Larson - - "The Calvin and Hobbes" as well as "The Far Side" comic strip artwork. Whereas with other similar properties like Jim Davis' "Garfield" where his prices direct to consumer were relatively cheap and readily available. I speculate if Jim Davis horded all of his art or donated them to museums relegating them in the "not available / not for sale" status, his original artwork would command much higher prices and greater prestige.

A large part of the valuation is based upon the scarcity in what is available in the open secondary market. So, what Capullo is effectively doing is price mapping, controlling the inventory and valuation by setting the pricing. Ultimately whether it becomes more trash than treasure or vice versa is to be determined by the longevity his own legacy and fan base.

The HA auction, Romitaman had this one listed for awhile a few years ago. I see a Greg bought back the cover of Spawn 41 at some point which sold at HA for 2700, i think. With Danny Miki quadrupling his asking prices for Spawn covers that have been sitting unsold for at least 5 years now at 6-8k. I wouldn't be surprised if this one didn't somehow manage to stay in line with the new valuations and I will take any auction price near the 30k level with a grain of salt.

hm

I think to a degree it's like the art of Bill Waterson and Gary Larson - - "The Calvin and Hobbes" as well as "The Far Side" comic strip artwork. Whereas with other similar properties like Jim Davis' "Garfield" where his prices direct to consumer were relatively cheap and readily available. I speculate if Jim Davis horded all of his art or donated them to museums relegating them in the "not available / not for sale" status, his original artwork would command much higher prices and greater prestige.

A large part of the valuation is based upon the scarcity in what is available in the open secondary market. So, what Capullo is effectively doing is price mapping, controlling the inventory and valuation by setting the pricing. Ultimately whether it becomes more trash than treasure or vice versa is to be determined by the longevity his own legacy and fan base.

Good point. I think Watterson also transcends the medium he works in a way Jim Davis does not. Frank Miller and Todd Mcfarlane also do that in their own way. Capullo doesn't. Greg has done his definitive work to date on Spawn and even though i think he surpassed todd 10 times over while on the book his work ends up bolstering Todd Mcfarlane's legacy more than his own.

I guess at the end of the day the marketplace will be the judge. If 40-50k Capullo art from 2015 starts appearing in collections at these prices than he's the biggest commercial artist in comic book history.

Edited by Koa

I just noticed this cover on CLink, it's up for the May auction:

RAD834472016427_164539.jpg

Interesting to see the market value of that piece. On HA only two Capullo Spawn covers have been sold - the last one was this one - sold in 2012 for 4,2k:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/greg-capullo-and-todd-mcfarlane-spawn-39-cover-original-art-image-1995-/a/7059-92065.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

What did this go for?

I just noticed this cover on CLink, it's up for the May auction:

RAD834472016427_164539.jpg

Interesting to see the market value of that piece. On HA only two Capullo Spawn covers have been sold - the last one was this one - sold in 2012 for 4,2k:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/greg-capullo-and-todd-mcfarlane-spawn-39-cover-original-art-image-1995-/a/7059-92065.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

What did this go for?

auction starts on 5/12

Capullo has been moving pieces though - the available list is down to 32 which means about 10 have sold - and not all his cheapest pages either.

Are those pages on his site marked as sold? That would be a good move so he doesn't keep getting bugged by fans over the availability.

No, it appears he just takes them down when they're sold

Capullo has been moving pieces though - the available list is down to 32 which means about 10 have sold - and not all his cheapest pages either.

Are those pages on his site marked as sold? That would be a good move so he doesn't keep getting bugged by fans over the availability.

Sold Pieces are taken down.

Here's the thing, the covers up at the artists choice have been sitting for years at 6k and then at 8. if nobody was willing to pay that for those particular covers what makes anyone think they'll sell at 30?

Pricing psychology. I'm not a money guy so maybe someone else can chime in if there is a specific name of the pricing strategy. Expensive = good. Apparently a couple years ago Kanye West was selling plain white t-shirts for $120 and they sold out quickly.

yeah, but 120 is still affordable for lots of people. Greg is listing filler pages at 1-3k. Popular artists have covers listed for less than some of his filler pages. I just hope his pricing strategy doesn't catch on among modern artists.

I've been tracking. The pages that have sold online via Greg's site have cost:

1300, 1600, 1600, 1400, 2700, 3000, 1000, 3500. I'm missing two, but they were $1K range.

To clarify, this is just Greg's site. He's sold quite a few $$$$$ pages outside of it at cons.

I've been tracking. The pages that have sold online via Greg's site have cost:

1300, 1600, 1600, 1400, 2700, 3000, 1000, 3500. I'm missing two, but they were $1K range.

To clarify, this is just Greg's site. He's sold quite a few $$$$$ pages outside of it at cons.

This must be specifically the Batman pages right?

I'd stab 38 hobos for the cover of issue #37.

One for each issue and the 38th just because I was on a roll.

Unless you're getting paid a grand a piece for stabbing them you're gonna still have to set up a payment plan.