• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 6:17 PM, BB-Gun said:

21866442636_0684a94aca_b.jpg

Those Mickey Mouse Sunday pages were so popular Dell asked someone to create a regular strip just for comics.

Barks chose Donald for his adventure strips.

:blahblah:

I have several collections of dailies that were pasted into scrapbooks.  Fortunately the stories were also reprinted in color.

30677651393_8d6c56f15b_b.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, Arkadin said:

This recent pick-up is a bit of a grail for me, a real piece of comic history. It's taken years for one of these to show up on eBay.

The very first Terry and the Pirates Sunday strip:

8829735b-8e1f-4a9f-a0b0-e965c701aa40.jpg

I like that Sunday page very much.  Was it also published in a comic.

imageproxy.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

There are a lot of Terry comic books, so it might have been. Not sure though, as I don't collect those.

These have been collected in hardcover by IDW as half pages - yet I have never seen an early Terry strip as a half, only as tabs like the one above. 

Anyone here ever see one as a half?

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, Arkadin said:

There are a lot of Terry comic books, so it might have been. Not sure though, as I don't collect those.

These have been collected in hardcover by IDW as half pages - yet I have never seen an early Terry strip as a half, only as tabs like the one above. 

I have some pages by Wunder that were halves but not much early Caniff.

I like those Whitman Books too.

2788538080_6cf7db705a_o.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 3:49 PM, Arkadin said:

Just added some 1930 first year Buck Rogers to my strip collection. 86 years old and about as classic as you can get.

IMG_0061.jpg

Any early Buck Rogers is worth seeing.  I enjoy these more than the later work by Frazetta (although both are great). 

I am not really sure how I got the Star Map.  It could be from a reprint or posted by another Boardie.

2679776558_0b93772370_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, Arkadin said:

Apparently the earliest comics with Terry were Popular.  If I recall  they started with March 1935.

I love old sunday comics pages and how gigantic they are. It's such a different experience than seeing them reprinted less than half the size in books. Seeing this thread made me want to dig out my stacks of Buck Rogers pages. Next I have to dig out my Krazy Kats.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG