• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Nice spin. But it's still sitting at # 19 domestically after inflation.

It won't touch Deadpool, let alone Batman Forever. As I posted a week ago, it *might* match Guardians of the Galaxy, but that's a stretch.

I'd hate to be a Warner Bros. executive who'd have to explain that:

"Uhh, yeah. We spent close to half a billion dollars, put the two most iconic superheroes of all time together, added in Wonder Woman and a heavy slate of Oscar-worthy talent...

And fewer folks went to see it than did to see a bunch of goofy no-names in space, including a talking raccoon and giant tree."

You do know those numbers are international numbers, correct? It feels like you are comparing apples and oranges.

Avengers: AoU did close to $1.4 billion internationally and it fell short of Avengers by almost $170 million domestically. I suspect Disney was still pleased with Avengers: AoU and after the backlash against BvS, how can Warner Bros be anything but pleased with the final tally? This movie made more than MoS and Justice League will make even more. It didn't bomb, but in spite of the backlash, it did pretty well IMHO.

When this movie is done, domestically it will easily be a top 10 movie for the year. If it had come out last year, it would have finished 5 or 6 and that was a year with the strongest lineup we've seen in a long, long time (The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Avengers: AoU, Furious 7, Hunger Games: Mockingjay.)

Some of you have so much hate for this movie, you can't see that it was successful financially for Warner Bros.

Edited by rjrjr

Nice spin. But it's still sitting at # 19 domestically after inflation.

It won't touch Deadpool, let alone Batman Forever. As I posted a week ago, it *might* match Guardians of the Galaxy, but that's a stretch.

I'd hate to be a Warner Bros. executive who'd have to explain that:

"Uhh, yeah. We spent close to half a billion dollars, put the two most iconic superheroes of all time together, added in Wonder Woman and a heavy slate of Oscar-worthy talent...

And fewer folks went to see it than did to see a bunch of goofy no-names in space, including a talking raccoon and giant tree."

You forgot to start your executive briefing with, "Umm.." You must start an executive summary with, "Umm..." or it doesn't come across strong enough.

:baiting:

1) I would have posted the international comps (i.e., by viewership / tickets sold / inflation-adjusted) but BoxOfficeMojo doesn't list them.

2) Because $1 made domestically is worth _at least_ 1/3 more than a dollar made internationally due to to the revenue splits.

Most egregious example, of course, is China, where studios only bank 25% of the gross vs. 55-60% of the gross for an equivalent ticket sold in the U.S.

So that $95 million dollars BvS "made" in China? Warners will see less than $24 million of it.

Not a small sum, until you realize that had that extra $95 million been made here it would have netted the studio more like $60 million.

It embedded in it's DNA. Once you see it, it stands out periodically.

Since I provided actual scenes to show why I do not agree with your assumption, can you provide a video example where Zack Snyder portrayed misogyny? It would help with this discussion.

If you can't truly demonstrate this, hopefully you can then understand why people are calling out your assumptions as nothing more than trolling a film. It's had that feeling for more than one post.

Since I'm currently working from my IPad while trying to conduct business, I hope you'll understand my difficulty in providing direct video links. However, I managed to locate a blog link from a viewer who had a similar experience watching this film. Hope this satisfies your query. I'll check back later this evening for your impressions

http://beamesonfilm.blogspot.com/2013/06/men-of-steel-sexism-and-new-superman.html

All the best. (thumbs u

Since I'm currently working from my IPad while trying to conduct business, I hope you'll understand my difficulty in providing direct video links. However, I managed to locate a blog link from a viewer who had a similar experience watching this film. Hope this satisfies your query. I'll check back later this evening for your impressions

http://beamesonfilm.blogspot.com/2013/06/men-of-steel-sexism-and-new-superman.html

All the best. (thumbs u

I realize you were in a rush to post something. But if you read the comments associated with that 'article' it gives you a feel for those seeing these things in movies.

Blatant misogyny and the patriarchal diatribes of Marlon Brando's Jor-El are the reasons I cannot stomach Superman The Movie, Superman 2/ The Donner cut and Superman Returns.

The same patriarchal propaganda is laced throughout Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy- Batman Begins.

Apparently women/ mothers have no input when raising their sons....

May as well say if there is a male superhero in the movie and a female actress, misogyny must be afoot.

All the best. (thumbs u

Sexist...slightly. Misogynistic, no--I've seen no evidence that Zach Snyder hates women in his films. Sexism and misogyny aren't synonyms.

Seriously, DavidMerryweather is trolling. I wouldn't bother with responding to him as he moves the goal posts faster than you can setup to kick the ball.

:troll:

Edited by rjrjr

All the best. (thumbs u

Sexist...slightly. Misogynistic, no--I've seen no evidence that Zach Snyder hates women in his films. Sexism and misogyny aren't synonyms.

You have a good point here. I may have used the term misogyny where sexism would be more apropos.

Seriously, DavidMerryweather is trolling. I wouldn't bother with responding to him as he moves the goal posts faster than you can setup to kick the ball.

:troll:

If I'm a troll, I'm not very good at it, because no one has paid me 2c

Trolls should get paid darn it! They guard bridges and troll for tolls. I'd politely suggest that my critics pay up or shut up. Heck, just look how much money Zack has made churning out sexist movies! ;)

If I'm a troll, I'm not very good at it, because no one has paid me 2c

Trolls should get paid darn it! They guard bridges and troll for tolls. I'd politely suggest that my critics pay up or shut up. Heck, just look how much money Zack has made churning out sexist movies! ;)

I paid up with very clear examples that I identified without reading someone else's article. Now come on, Mr. DavidMerryweather - give!

:sumo:

Now I'm even more confused.

Or you're engaging in some Jedi-level trolling.

When has Lois Lane _ever_ been portrayed in a movie as a stronger female protagonist than she was in Man of Steel (I'm thinking of two scenes -- the investigative reporting montage & the interview with him, specifically)?

I'll give you Lois & Clark back in the '90s -- that Lois was far more than a damsel in distress archetype.

But if anything the writing of Margot Kidder's role in the first run of Superman movies was _far_ less progressive and feminist than that of Lois in Snyder's two movies.

Also, keep in mind the _vast_ majority of Lois Lane portrayals in the comics have been far more misogynist than your (misguided) assertions via Snyder's movie.

Example: Read nearly _any_ Silver Age issue of Lois Lane's solo run. Holy mess. And that's in her own book.

lol Yep. I collect those! Not a shining moment for female empowerment!

Cat, did you think that Tony Stark's mention of prima nocta was misogynistic in Age of Ultron last summer?

Last week i watched the new Superman vs Batman film for the first time. My what a rubbish film so dissapointed.

I am glad I sold my Superman #1 before this came out as I am sure the rubbishness would have de-valued the comic.

Cat, did you think that Tony Stark's mention of prima nocta was misogynistic in Age of Ultron last summer?

Good question. It's part of Tony Stark's character, and he's kinduva jerk. Not unlike what RDJ had the reputation of being years ago. It also came at a point where the male characters were joking while being insecure about their own masculinity.

The Director, Joss Whedon tends to write strong roles for women. IMO, the movie doesn't convey a sexist image in that female superheroes hold their own as equals in battle and can give as good as they get verbally.

Each Avenger's character has his or her own personality and strengths. For instance, Cap is quick to tell Tony to watch his language as he's still uncomfortable with the more relaxed use of expletives in modern culture.

Not arguing that he's made some sexist movies but (bringing it back to the thread) it's a _really_ hard sell that BvS is one of them.

Or Man of Steel. I'd have a hard time coming up with a female character in ANY superhero movie who kicked more than Faora did in that one. Yes, if you're a staunch feminist, there were a small handful of fairly minor eye-rolling scenes, but it was a testosterone film. There wasn't enough to characterize it as primarily or even uncommonly sexist.

Ummm......this movie was great.

If you don't agree, then you're wrong!

Long live Zack Snyder, and bring on the JLA!! Collect a little feedback from the critics, to appease them, and we'll hear less of this next time around (but please not too much, keep the movie great!)

JLA could do $2B at the box office with a rotten egg score of A+, a rotten tomato score of 98% and a rotten-beef-rump-roast score of "round and firm", and some of the same folks would be out here pointing out that their Tuesday performance in North Dakota east theatres was only the 3rd best of the century, losing out to a movie about a glass slipper and evil stepmother.

I'm just so excited to see what comes next as the DCEU gets the attention so many of us have waited for, for so long.

:acclaim: thanks for listening. If you disagree with any part of this message, your computer will receive the blue screen of horror in 3.....2......1........

JLA could do $2B at the box office with a rotten egg score of A+, a rotten tomato score of 98% and a rotten-beef-rump-roast score of "round and firm", and some of the same folks would be out here pointing out that their Tuesday performance in North Dakota east theatres was only the 3rd best of the century, losing out to a movie about a glass slipper and evil stepmother.

This is so true.

doh!