• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Bittersweet Completion of a Silly Late Silver/Early Bronze DC Run

36 posts in this topic

Well, after a few years of trying I was finally able to complete my Debbi's Dates run in relatively high grade CGC slabs. My guess is this will likely never be done again. Mostly because it's just not a well collected title. Secondly, it is really hard to find these in 9.0 or better! Overall, I own 11 of the 20 graded copies out there.

I submitted all but two of these myself.

ComicScans233.jpg

ComicScans111.jpg

002_zpsqnfwwlow.jpg

And the last issue...I never found a raw copy worth grading until very recently. I had made an offer a while ago on the Oakland copy which is a 9.4, but it was priced much higher than I thought it was worth.

Anyway, I saw one recently advertised as an 8.5 on a dealers site that I hadn't dealt with before. I pulled the trigger, and immediately sent it to CGC for grading. As soon as the grades popped, it came back Restored. :cry:

I contacted the seller immediately. He asked if I checked it for restoration, and I said no. I rarely do. Shame on me. I guess buyers are supposed to check online purchases for restoration before they buy them. I politely asked if there was anything he was willing to do. He said he does a resto check, but didn't find anything on this book. Since it was two months or so after I bought it, he said he wouldn't do anything for me, and I should be happy because it came back as a 9.0. And collectors would love to have it in such a high grade, even restored. Now I have about $55 into a book I might be able to sell for $5. So, I am still looking for a nice unrestored copy of #4. :mad:

001_zpsuxfvenfy.jpg

Awesome books, Wes! I didn't even know this title existed.

It's a shame about the #4. And it's a shame about the dealer's response. So dumb and short-sighted. Please PM me his name and I'll file it away in a special place.

Edited by Ghost Town

It's a shame about the #4. And it's a shame about the dealer's response. So dumb and short-sighted. Please PM me the his name and I'll file it away in a special place.

Had never even heard of this title before. Nice grouping of all 11 issues - congrats. (thumbs u

And please let us know who the dealer is...

EP

This is about the coolest thing I've seen on here in some time!! Wes...this is out-of-the-park stuff...CONGRATS!! And I hear you on the #4 but it is still quite the acquisition in the wild...I'd be amazed that you had put the physical set together let alone copies in such beautiful shape!! :headbang:

Edited by trmoore54

It's a shame about the #4. And it's a shame about the dealer's response. So dumb and short-sighted. Please PM me the his name and I'll file it away in a special place.

Had never even heard of this title before. Nice grouping of all 11 issues - congrats. (thumbs u

Thanks, guys! Hey, Tom! Believe it or not, there is also a series called "Date With Debbi" that ran about the same time. It lasted 18 issues, and I would love to find a high grade copy of number 18! It is actually a 20 cent cover.

The dealer is Cedar Chest Comics out of New York, I believe. He has some nice raws and slabs, but be careful with the raws if you have them graded!

Another note about the run. At least three of the 20 graded books are actually Pedigrees. It somewhat bolsters how hard they are to find in high grade. They are:

#1 9.0 Western Penn (Mine, purchased from Cigar Steve Minneapolis)

#4 9.4 Oakland

#10 9.8 Savannah, the only graded 9.8 in the run. I took a run at this one when it was auctioned by HA, but wasn't too serious about it since I had a 9.6.

Thanks, guys! Hey, Tom! Believe it or not, there is also a series called "Date With Debbi" that ran about the same time. It lasted 18 issues, and I would love to find a high grade copy of number 18! It is actually a 20 cent cover.

The dealer is Cedar Chest Comics out of New York, I believe. He has some nice raws and slabs, but be careful with the raws if you have them graded!

I've dealt with Cedar Chest with mixed results and he lives in Florida now. He should have taken care of you on that restored book. The guy is more of a collector who is selling books than a real dealer and also he isn't that nice to deal with from my experience.

This is further proof I will stay far away from this guy.

I've dealt with Cedar Chest with mixed results and he lives in Florida now. He should have taken care of you on that restored book. The guy is more of a collector who is selling books than a real dealer and also he isn't that nice to deal with from my experience.

Mark,

No doubt. he just didn't seem to understand why someone wouldn't want a restored book that wasn't sold as restored. It became clear pretty quickly that I was a bother to him. I stepped away and will not deal with him again.

Mark,

No doubt. he just didn't seem to understand why someone wouldn't want a restored book that wasn't sold as restored. It became clear pretty quickly that I was a bother to him. I stepped away and will not deal with him again.

Trust me, he gets it. He just wanted to be a tool and not help you. Sorry to hear about it. At least it was a small amount of money. :(

Wes: Very cool run indeed.

I assume the resto is right at the top staple, it's pretty freaking blatant to see. Judging by you saying that you are into the book for $55 bucks, I'm assuming the book was $20-$25. Doesn't make sense to limit your customer base over $25 bucks, but some people just aren't thinking long enough term I guess.

Jim