• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

Just got this gem at my LCS today:

Four_Color_140_zpsz6d3pkkn.jpg

Does anybody know if the "Library Copy" indicates a file copy? It doesn't look like the stamp I've seen on most Dell File Copies, but most of the file copies I've seen are from a few years later than 1947, so it may have changed.

Just got this gem at my LCS today:

Four_Color_140_zpsz6d3pkkn.jpg

Does anybody know if the "Library Copy" indicates a file copy? It doesn't look like the stamp I've seen on most Dell File Copies, but most of the file copies I've seen are from a few years later than 1947, so it may have changed.

Busted Flush had a FC108 with the traditional stamp; so they were present earlier than this issue. This must be from some other library. Great book all the same!

This is the extremely rare 30 cent variant. The only other person that I know has one is Gary Colabuono. His is much higher grade. This to my knowledge is the very first 30 cent variant of any comic. This may be of interests to the 30 and 35 cent variant frenzy happening in the Bronze age.

Pogo%2030c%20001_zpsl0npegof.jpg

I got to read the interior of Animal 25 this morning and it was quite the fun book.

The Pogo story was OK and not Kelly’s best effort. I was really impressed with some of the other stories though; the Jigger story was actually quite fun and refreshing and I see it was by John Stanley which explains that. The R-over story by Dan Noonan was also really good and I was surprised it had a drug running theme as its story line which you can see in the interior illustration below.

Dell comics are Good Comics!

162135.jpg.b77b5a7da6e12535c37fc699c713b69a.jpg

162136.jpg.d7b55f53ef54f24cb6089a906b82ea40.jpg

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Love me some Animal Comics, and those copies look great! One of these days I need to get a group shot of my complete run to show around here...

Posted this in the Promo comic thread a few days ago, didn't get any comments. Maybe somebody here has something to say:

Special_Delivery_Pogo_zpsf42jgzpr.jpg

Not one you see that often, I was quite happy to find a cheap copy.

Love me some Animal Comics, and those copies look great! One of these days I need to get a group shot of my complete run to show around here...

Posted this in the Promo comic thread a few days ago, didn't get any comments. Maybe somebody here has something to say:

Special_Delivery_Pogo_zpsf42jgzpr.jpg

Not one you see that often, I was quite happy to find a cheap copy.

Lots of things popping up here I'd like to own!

I've seen this one come up for sale a few times on eBay, but I always had other fish on the line. Your copy looks great - nice white pages. I think the book on Walt Kelly has a picture of this promotional piece. I'm sure we'd like to see some of the interior of yours!

It was a Kelly fest today at Terry's comic show in Yorba Linda. For some reason I always manage to score Pogos at this show. Today was no exception with a nice pile of Animal Comics waiting for me to take them home. Some great covers and back covers here.

Very pretty comics 40! Miles away from the gruesome horror, crime & GGA I go after. Kelly and Barks have always held a soft spot in my heart though. I have a pretty good stash of those as well. Love the baseball cover on the 16.