• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

“When you get to the end of all the light you know and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.”

Edward Teller

IMG_3353_zps4xuoh9vv.jpg

Michael, there are literally tears in my eyes and I am having to wipe them off my cheeks.

You're not alone! :cry:

Michael, there are literally tears in my eyes and I am having to wipe them off my cheeks.

You're not alone! :cry:

It turned on the water works for me as well.

Heart-warming & truly inspirational. You are a beacon of hope for this planet!

-bc

Purnabha and I are in contact day by day via Whatsapp. Shahina, Kshama, Farhin and Thasina from Roshni all stay regularly in touch.

It is they, not I, who deserve your approbation...

More updates will follow in due course.

“Oftentimes we call Life bitter names, but only when we ourselves are bitter and dark. And we deem her empty and unprofitable, but only when the soul goes wandering in desolate places, and the heart is drunken with overmindfulness of self.

Life is deep and high and distant; and though only your vast vision can reach even her feet, yet she is near; and though only the breath of your breath reaches her heart, the shadow of your shadow crosses her face, and the echo of your faintest cry becomes a spring and an autumn in her breast.

And life is veiled and hidden, even as your greater self is hidden and veiled. Yet when Life speaks, all the winds become words; and when she speaks again, the smiles upon your lips and the tears in your eyes turn also into words. When she sings, the deaf hear and are held; and when she comes walking, the sightless behold her and are amazed and follow her in wonder and astonishment.”

― Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

IMG-20160325-WA0006_zpssgymbuld.jpg

Michael, This is tremendously inspiring and moving. You are making an extraordinary contribution.

Indeed. And speaking of contributions - Michael, is there a way for us to send donations to either your organization or to India, either of money or perhaps other things that are needed? If so, please let us know how to arrange that.

Thank you.

Michael, This is tremendously inspiring and moving. You are making an extraordinary contribution.

Indeed. And speaking of contributions - Michael, is there a way for us to send donations to either your organization or to India, either of money or perhaps other things that are needed? If so, please let us know how to arrange that.

Thank you.

Andy, thank you.

Yes, it would have a massive impact on Roshni's morale, especially right now.

Purnabha and I are working on a list that is growing day by day, and we quickly began to realize we would be struggling to cover even half of what we feel is needed.

Anyone who is interested can shoot me a pm. I will preserve the privacy of anyone who prefers anonymity. If anyone wants to shout it from these rooftops be my guest!

The impact of any donations will be faithfully reported here.

You know, guys, I'm so overwhelmed by all your supportive replies. I was on the brink of shutting down this thread, but you've changed all that.

It's difficult to explain, and after all, it's not about me, so it doesn't really matter. But for what it is worth to anyone, I don't feel remotely like a hero.

More like Lazarus.

" The more you love, the more you can love--and the more intensely you love. Nor is there any limit on how many you can love. If a person had Time Enough, he could Love all of the majority who are decent and just."

A quote from Time Enough for Love by Robert Heinlein, One of my favorite authors and when you mentioned Lazarus, it reminded me of this book

Notebooks of Lazarus Long

from

TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE

NY: G.P. Putnam's Sons (A Berkley Medallion Book), 1973

By: Robert Heinlein

The following "aphorisms" come from the "Notebooks of Lazarus Long" in Robert Heinlein's 1973 novel, Time Enough for Love. These notebooks are called "Intermission" (pp. 240-251) and "Second Intermission" (pp. 346-353) and are full of pithy insights and opinions of Lazarus Long, the central character in this classic science fiction novel. Some of the aphorisms can be readily agreed with...while others might provoke disagreement. Yet, all of them generate thought about our own time (my own personal standard concerning "science fiction"). They are presented here in that spirit...thought-provoking observations from an author, Heinlein, who has never been bereft of such insights in any book he has written...and who never forgot who he was writing for...and when.