• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a handful of low-grade readers on eBay, so I'll be able to enjoy reading some Carl Barks stories this week. Only a few of them are even marginally collectible (due to the condition), but one of them features the first appearance of Gyro Gearloose.

162071.jpg.95959c59f76eeed8e6cda37012e22a86.jpg

162072.jpg.932043a84270ae731b8965d0eae600a5.jpg

162073.jpg.1259764af3d88ff8c410d04c9c3bd1c3.jpg

162074.jpg.2aa58633d9578545addf37ac2ab93f8e.jpg

I recently picked up a handful of low-grade readers on eBay, so I'll be able to enjoy reading some Carl Barks stories this week. Only a few of them are even marginally collectible (due to the condition), but one of them features the first appearance of Gyro Gearloose.

Those look like presentable copies. Barks did an amazing job with those 10-page DD stories.

Those look like presentable copies. Barks did an amazing job with those 10-page DD stories.

I plan to dig into them tonight. It's been a long time since I've actively collected funny animal books, so it's probably been 15 or 20 years since I've read a Barks story.

I plan to dig into them tonight. It's been a long time since I've actively collected funny animal books, so it's probably been 15 or 20 years since I've read a Barks story.

Can't beat the readability of these; even the strip reprints are fun to read.

He really did. Some of his best work. :)

Nice haul on the books! :applause:

Is the "This comic is the personal file copy of Carl Barks. Anyone else possessing the book has stolen it" notation on the book or the slab?

I am leaning towards it being a "rubber stamp" on the book itself, but otherwise (shrug)

Is the "This comic is the personal file copy of Carl Barks. Anyone else possessing the book has stolen it" notation on the book or the slab?

I am leaning towards it being a "rubber stamp" on the book itself, but otherwise (shrug)

It's on the book. Barrier's book on Barks shows a copy of Four Color 189 with the same stamp.

It's on the book. Barrier's book on Barks shows a copy of Four Color 189 with the same stamp.

I think quoting myself could make me go blind, but anyway...

Barks_file_copy_photo_Barrier_zpsee40s4jp.jpg