• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will newstand comics prove to be the rarest variant?
1 1

93 posts in this topic

Newsstand was the common method of distribution until early direct market came along around 1977 or so.

Newsstand isn't a "rare" item during the 80's but as we approach the early 90's the ratio of newsstand to direct market took a steady decline.

The distinction is that Newsstand Editions are much more scarce in higher grade due to the distribution channels.

Fast forward to present day and the ratio is the lowest it has been in history for newsstand editions, 1% or less of a particular title's print run. This now makes them tougher to find, ie "rare" and tougher to obtain in high grade.

For example, what do you think is tougher to put together, a New DC 52 run of Batman in only newsstand format or collecting all the 1 in 50 variant covers that each issue produces.

This does make it extremely rare and in 5 to 10 years completionists may be scratching their head looking for these books.

I've eluded to this numerous times over the years.

This is not some theory as someone mentioned earlier.

You don't need 3rd party grading companies to acknowledge it and put it on their label to make it fact. Collectors need to educate themselves and each other.

The "theory" part of it is that Newstand copies are less likely to survive in high grade. Not that there are less of them to begin with after a certain date. I think we can all agree that newstand copies from the last five years - like your New 52 Batman run - are a very small part of the total print run. But it is theory newstand copies of that Batman run are going to be in lesser condition on average. Depends on who bought them. Little kids visit comic book stores in towns that have them and adult collectors buy comics in towns where no comic book shops are around. It might be that sharp, cutting edge collectors are mostly who are buying newstand copies RIGHT NOW.

Besides, given the sorry, beat up shape that a lot of brand new comics arrive in at comic shops, it's hard to imagine retail newstand is much worse condition wise.

I sort of look at these no number DD issues as the last attempt at newsstand for Marvel. Not my pic/book - I do have one of the Marvel Unlimited DD issues but I don't think it was this one.

Ironically I have no interest in anything later that has a labeled UPC showing "direct" or "newsstand" - they are likely rarer but I just didn't care once the distinction was spoon-fed to buyers, I figure there are a few astute comic sharks who caught on by then and hoarded 'em.

(shrug)

4da2c50f76b849f46d636e1d56f01eea_xl.jpg

Edited by bababooey

Ironically I have no interest in anything later that has a labeled UPC showing "direct" or "newsstand" - they are likely rarer but I just didn't care once the distinction was spoon-fed to buyers, I figure there are a few astute comic sharks who caught on by then and hoarded 'em.

(shrug)

Hoarding (recent) newsstands would generally be tough to do. Many parts of the country have zero newsstands. Those areas which had newsstands 10 or 20 years ago were things like grocery stores, which didn't usually buy large quantities of any book. Back issue hoarding requires suppliers... but comic dealers don't have newsstands (except by buying collections, which might have them). Dealers buy their new comics direct. Ebay isn't a very good supplier for newsstands either, unless you've got a lot of time to search, are willing to pay for shipping (generally higher than the original cover price), enjoy squinting at tiny photos, and don't mind a wide range of book conditions.

The closest thing to hoarding of high grade newsstands for 1986-to-present would be simplying buying already-slabbed newsstand books at market price, and hoping that you get them for direct edition prices. Even then, you might have some competition doing the same thing. (ASM #300 or ASM v2 #36, for example.)

For collectors who only need one copy of any book in their collection, I don't think newsstand recognition is an issue that will matter much. Those types of collectors don't generally worry about the highest ratio incentives or the most difficult-to-find book in the highest condition.

But for collectors who enjoy finding every version of a book they like... say ASM #252... they'll want a direct edition, a Canadian edition, a newsstand edition, and possibly foreign editions or reprints/homages from recent years. Compared to ASM #251 or ASM #253, every single type of ASM #252 is probably a "better book" from a general collector viewpoint.

Newsstands in general may be tougher, but just like high ratio incentives... the toughest version of a book no one cares about is still just an expensive book no one cares about (like ASM #667... oooooh, controversy! lol )

But, the toughest versions of key issues can be particularly exciting to collectors. We've only had those in the hobby since about Star Wars #1 35-cent... and even that one wasn't always accepted as "special".

Looks like DC thought it was also a good idea to charge more. hm

Both Marvel and DC charging an extra 25% for newsstand copies only shows that distribution of mewsstands was lower than direct copies.So, they had to charge more to recoup printing costs and turn a profit.

If they were charging more, thinking of after market prices....the books would be marketed with a red and white "variant cover" box , on the cover and likely price them at $9.99 a pop.As the distribution would be in newsstands, sales probably would have been slower at that big of a mark up.

Ironically, this would have presented a new craze on the aftermarket and a month or 2 after the red/white variant cover/cash in by Marvel UPC editions were put forth.....odds are they would start being chased down...much more than they currently are...and Marvel would have no issue selling newsstands at 10 bucks a pop.

This is not the case, there is no manufactured collectible element at hand.

That is why, over the long term, I believe that newsstand copies in HG will prove to yield considerably more resale value, in the years to come.

The idea of newsstands having more value over direct copies has only come about in the past....what, 2 or 3 years?

How long did it take for 35 cent and Whitman pre-pack variants to see large upticks in realized prices, after they were brought to light by collectors and dealers as genuinely scarce books?

5 years, at least, I am guessing.

Once more collectors realize the scarcity of HG newsstands, that is when will we see realized prices really start to escalate.

I hope this theory pans out. I've got a shortbox of books I bought from a conveinence store near my house when I decided to collect old school again. Box contains ASM & PPSS 9-44, WOLVERINE 145-172, and a few X-men books.

The copies of ASM 36 that I submitted came back 9.6 & 9.8

I hope this theory pans out. I've got a shortbox of books I bought from a conveinence store near my house when I decided to collect old school again. Box contains ASM & PPSS 9-44, WOLVERINE 145-172, and a few X-men books.

What are you hoping for PPSM? That you can sell them for $2 instead of $1? :insane: Anyway...

ASM 22-33, for example:

Total distribution (avg.): 114,157 - from the Statement of Ownership in ASM(v.2) 37

Estimated DNA pre-orders (avg.): 60,748 - calculated using numbers from Comichron

The North American direct market only accounts for about 53% of the total distribution. Subscriptions are only another 6%, so 40% of the distribution is unaccounted for in the numbers we have available. Of course, that number is not all newsstand sales since it has to account for the direct market numbers outside NA and any discrepancies between the estimates and actual DNA distribution.

What are you hoping for PPSM? That you can sell them for $2 instead of $1? :insane: Anyway...

ASM 22-33, for example:

Total distribution (avg.): 114,157 - from the Statement of Ownership in ASM(v.2) 37

Estimated DNA pre-orders (avg.): 60,748 - calculated using numbers from Comichron

The North American direct market only accounts for about 53% of the total distribution. Subscriptions are only another 6%, so 40% of the distribution is unaccounted for in the numbers we have available. Of course, that number is not all newsstand sales since it has to account for the direct market numbers outside NA and any discrepancies between the estimates and actual DNA distribution.

Not really hoping for anything. I really enjoyed collecting off the newsstand. :cloud9:

Things have sure changed. Back in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid I lived in a town of about 60,000 people. There must have been 2 dozen or more places around town I could buy comic books. You couldn't miss them, almost every drug store, grocery store and even some department stores sold them. Didn't matter if it was a local outfit or a chain; they had them. Now there are only 2 places that carry them; my local comic shop and a Books A Million located in our mall.

Things have sure changed. Back in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid I lived in a town of about 60,000 people. There must have been 2 dozen or more places around town I could buy comic books. You couldn't miss them, almost every drug store, grocery store and even some department stores sold them. Didn't matter if it was a local outfit or a chain; they had them. Now there are only 2 places that carry them; my local comic shop and a Books A Million located in our mall.

I think the reason prices are so high on 9.8 news stand books as opposed to direct sale books is becuase it was sitting in a store where every kid would grab them and look at them whereas in a comic shop most people who touch the wall books buy them. This makes it much harder to get 9.8 off the news stand.

Edited by grayzr

I have noticed that other grading companies add 'Newstand Copy' or something similar to the label.

I think if the CGC adopt this in the future, and maybe applys it to the census, it would definitely drive up the demand for newsstands post 1980 or so when their numbers started falling.

Certain collectors would much rather own a 9.8 newsstand which is 1 of 150 on the census, as apposed to owning a 9.8 direct which is 1 of 1000.

The most watched CGC 9.8 comic I ever sold on eBay was a Newsstand Edition of ASM #36 (WTC issue) eight years ago with 84 watchers. I was puzzled and if I remember right, it didn't sell too good either.

With this specific issue, the newsstand UPC box stands out from the rest of the all black cover making the newsstand version unmistakable at first glance. It is the only one that I can tell just by looking at the thumbnail of the photo.

The latest addition to the discussion:

CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 Newsstand - $275 auction final

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331850374796

Average CGC 9.8 price for direct edition has been about $70 in May.

doh! Unbelievable. I took a Best Offer on mine for half that maybe a month or so ago.

That guy is a scammer that shills his auctions.

he's sold this same book FIVE times

I have seen the theory's and the date /number estimates for the Direct edition vs newsstand edition.   According to the information it seems that 1977-1982 direct editions would be rare books.  The newsstands during this period(1977-1982) are the overwhelming majority.  Was there any way to tell what the early direct editions were?

4 hours ago, paul747 said:

I have seen the theory's and the date /number estimates for the Direct edition vs newsstand edition.   According to the information it seems that 1977-1982 direct editions would be rare books.  The newsstands during this period(1977-1982) are the overwhelming majority.  Was there any way to tell what the early direct editions were?

http://www.hoknescomics.com/marvelwhitman.htm

Looks like 6/79 Marvel went Direct Editions.