• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

:shy:

Jerome

No, because it was never about that. (shrug)

(tsk)

Hello gents , these are some pretty cool books, that I honestly have never heard of.

Checked out past and recent sales and we're around $200 for both the X-Men legacy, and the Deadpool book. Not chump change, but not expensive enough yet.

To crack the Dirty Dozen, figure the book is going to have to sell for at least $1500 on at least a couple of occasions in a 9.8 to make it in. (thumbs u

-J.

Jerome

I know you may have trouble understanding this, but books selling for lots of money due to manufactured rarity doesn't make them grails (the most overused word on this message board).

Heh, my spellchecker doesn't like the word "grails" for some reason.

You're right, it isn't the "manufactured rarity" or the fact that they sell for lots of money that makes them "grails"....

The fact that they are "earnestly pursued and/or sought after" by many, many collectors does. (thumbs u

And the term "key" is what is thrown around the boards far too often, not "grail". A grail can be anything to anyone by its very definition.

-J.

Then everything is a grail, which makes the word completely meaningless. :golfclap:

You still haven't come up with a reasonable explanation for why the Batman/Superman 4 isn't on your list.

:gossip: Foreign REPRINT. The criteria as laid out in the first post states that reprints were not considered.

No, the criteria says that subsequent printings of issues are excluded ("First prints only"). The book is question is a first print Batman/Superman 4 from Panini.

And as pleasing as the cover image is to the eye, even it is reprinted from an interior page from the English version.

Also, even if it were not a reprint and was considered, it has not consistently sold for enough in a 9.8 to qualify at this time anyway. The fact that it is also a foreign book may help it or it may hurt it. No one knows. But it is a variable not present with any of the other books, so it is not considered.

-J.

meh

If CGC 9.8s are the only things that matter, please make a video where you burn most of your sig line. TIA.

batman/superman 4 is not on par with the dirty dozen.

Yea, that Deadpool Merc commands a few dollars.

Is this the one?

Answering my own question. Yes it is. Just found it. Add Deadpool Merc with a Mouth #1 to the list. Does anyone know which con it was distributed?

According to My Comic Shop it was SDCC.

I'm surprised so many people are bashing the list generated by the OP.

If you don't like the list, maybe you can make your own? (shrug)

:shy:

Jerome

No, because it was never about that. (shrug)

(tsk)

Hello gents , these are some pretty cool books, that I honestly have never heard of.

Checked out past and recent sales and we're around $200 for both the X-Men legacy, and the Deadpool book. Not chump change, but not expensive enough yet.

To crack the Dirty Dozen, figure the book is going to have to sell for at least $1500 on at least a couple of occasions in a 9.8 to make it in. (thumbs u

-J.

Jerome

I know you may have trouble understanding this, but books selling for lots of money due to manufactured rarity doesn't make them grails (the most overused word on this message board).

Heh, my spellchecker doesn't like the word "grails" for some reason.

You're right, it isn't the "manufactured rarity" or the fact that they sell for lots of money that makes them "grails"....

The fact that they are "earnestly pursued and/or sought after" by many, many collectors does. (thumbs u

And the term "key" is what is thrown around the boards far too often, not "grail". A grail can be anything to anyone by its very definition.

-J.

Then everything is a grail, which makes the word completely meaningless. :golfclap:

You still haven't come up with a reasonable explanation for why the Batman/Superman 4 isn't on your list.

:gossip: Foreign REPRINT. The criteria as laid out in the first post states that reprints were not considered.

No, the criteria says that subsequent printings of issues are excluded ("First prints only"). The book is question is a first print Batman/Superman 4 from Panini.

And as pleasing as the cover image is to the eye, even it is reprinted from an interior page from the English version.

Also, even if it were not a reprint and was considered, it has not consistently sold for enough in a 9.8 to qualify at this time anyway. The fact that it is also a foreign book may help it or it may hurt it. No one knows. But it is a variable not present with any of the other books, so it is not considered.

-J.

meh

If CGC 9.8s are the only things that matter, please make a video where you burn most of your sig line. TIA.

While I can appreciate a slick linguistic two-step as much as the next guy, it's still a (foreign) reprint, regardless of who the publisher is. A different publisher reprinting previously released material is nothing new in this hobby. And never once has anyone ever called or considered it to be "new material". (thumbs u

And, uh, yeah, in the modern market, 9.8's, right or wrong, are the expected standard (again, is this also, suddenly a novel concept ? (shrug) ) . As such, it was stated in the original post that the most weight was given to historical 9.8 sales whenever available.

-J.

+1

I'm currently working on a list of the 12 least valuable variants I own. Sadly, I can't narrow it down to 12. There's a 167-way tie for -$1.

+1

I'm currently working on a list of the 12 least valuable variants I own. Sadly, I can't narrow it down to 12. There's a 167-way tie for -$1.

Need the list WITH pics.

If you mail them to me for less than $167 in shipping costs, you'll come out ahead. (thumbs u

Exactly !! OP created this thread. It's his thread, his rules.

Yes and no. I posted the list expecting and inviting feedback and knew it would change over time. But like I said a ways back, I had to find a "sweet spot" of criteria that could reasonably be applied uniformly to "most" variants in order for a list to even be possible or mean anything.

When you start talking about things like ashcans, 1:1's that were auctioned off for charity, reprints, error books, blanks/ with elaborate OA, etc, you are no longer in the sweet spot that applies to "most" variants. There are tons of books that fall into the sweet spot, but very few that do have any significant or sustained value.

That's part of what makes the Dirty Dozen special.

Hence, the point of the thread. (thumbs u

-J.

One of the harsh realities of message board life is that, once a thread is posted, no matter who posts it, it no longer belongs to the OP...it belongs to the world, and anyone and everyone can....and should be able to...post their own opinions in response, even if that isn't the direction the OP intended.

In other words...once released into the wild, nobody owns any thread.

One of the harsh realities of message board life is that, once a thread is posted, no matter who posts it, it no longer belongs to the OP...it belongs to the world, and anyone and everyone can....and should be able to...post their own opinions in response, even if that isn't the direction the OP intended.

Can't agree with that. If this were the case, then there would be no need for sub-forums/topics as it wouldn't matter what anyone said, it'd just be a mess, devoid of centered discussion and likely wither and die on the vine. Gotta stay on topic, granted can't always be 100% of the time, but as much as possible.

Jerome

+1

Need the list WITH pics.

most of them are have 'for ebay!' written on every single page with various levels of nsfw animal husbandry drawings dispersed throughout. Or they're non-spidey JRJR covers.

Can't agree with that. If this were the case, then there would be no need for sub-forums/topics as it wouldn't matter what anyone said, it'd just be a mess, devoid of centered discussion and likely wither and die on the vine. Gotta stay on topic, granted can't always be 100% of the time, but as much as possible.

Jerome

FWIW I don't think the thread has veered wildly off topic at any point, people talking about other valuable variants (even if not yet valuable enough to crack the Dirty Dozen) isn't a surprise, and I fully expected boardies to question my methodology when categorizing the Top 12 (which is why I took such great pains to clarify it in advance lol ).

-J.

OiQVXHV.gif

does he say 'stay'? or 'steady'

I always heard 'steady' when I was younger, but now it can go either way.

Saw cable and xforce #1 deodato cover has gone for 1000 for 9.8

Doesn't look like a legit sale as the same book has been relisted for the same price by the same seller for quite some time now (and that's the only sale over $300 that there has been for that book so far)...

-J.