• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

BA #12 was on the latest episode of Comic Book Men (AMC).

A guy was trying to sell an issue that had a significant amount of crease damage.

At best, it was a $300 copy. The shop offered $700 and the guy turned down the offer! :o

The shop are not inept. I think they were trying to put on a show for the sake of a good episode and to convince folks to stop by and trade.

I know a couple of people that have been on that show. To say it is pre-scripted and they do the deal before they ever hit the air is not incorrect. The wheeling and dealing on the show is just entertainment.

BA #12 was on the latest episode of Comic Book Men (AMC).

A guy was trying to sell an issue that had a significant amount of crease damage.

At best, it was a $300 copy. The shop offered $700 and the guy turned down the offer! :o

The shop are not inept. I think they were trying to put on a show for the sake of a good episode and to convince folks to stop by and trade.

Seems like a shill to me... Maybe they had some copies to unload hm

I'm surprised at the last few 9.8 sales.

A $1,750 direct and a $2,003 open auction for a Newsstand copy. Both around $500 down on recent sales.

I haven't seen the film yet but it can't be that bad ? :o

Particularly shocked by the Newsstand which is extremely tough to find and they were selling for $2,500 not so long ago.

I'm surprised at the last few 9.8 sales.

A $1,750 direct and a $2,003 open auction for a Newsstand copy. Both around $500 down on recent sales.

I haven't seen the film yet but it can't be that bad ? :o

Particularly shocked by the Newsstand which is extremely tough to find and they were selling for $2,500 not so long ago.

I am not surprised. Good movie, bad movie, it does not matter. This book will follow the same trend as every other movie related key - run up before the movie to new high, pull back a bit, level off at a much higher level than before, then build from there.

On 1/21/2015 at 11:27 PM, Jaydogrules said:

That was a mycomicshop "sale" and they are notorious for listing books on ebay as being "sold" (usually Copper Age books or thereabouts) at a full price that is very often significantly higher than multiple other listings on ebay. GPA still picks it up and records the sale but it almost always stands out as an outlier sale. There are recent sales of ASM 300 and 361, as well as NM 87 where they have done the same thing.

-J.

On 1/22/2015 at 12:54 PM, mycomicshop said:

This statement is not correct:

If a buyer clicks the eBay Buy It Now button, eBay marks the listing as sold. If a book sells on mycomicshop.com, then we tell ebay to end the eBay listing, and the listing should show as ended, not sold.

Your language makes it sound like we are actively involved in creating false sales data, and that's not the case. The effect you are observing is a buyer clicking the Buy It Now on eBay and GPA collecting the sales data despite the sale not actually completing. We have no involvement in that process other than creating the initial eBay listing.

For sales that take place on eBay, GPA collects that data themselves. We are not involved in reporting those sales or confirming whether a sale did or did not actually take place. If you have a concern about any sales of NM 87, ASM 361, or anything else, please PM me with the sale you're concerned about, I'll confirm if the sale completed or not, and if not I will let GPA know to remove it.

For sales that take place on mycomicshop.com, we provide sales data to GPA, and we don't report sales until the book is paid for and shipped. I've PM'd George at GPA to ask if it would be possible for us to switch to reporting our own eBay sales, rather than GPA collecting them, so that we can report only the purchases that were successfully paid for and shipped.

Regarding the BA12 CGC 9.8 sale:

Oct-29-2014 $1690 0235918008

The ebay user never completed their purchase, so we never received an order from eBay. The item would have been automatically relisted on MCS and ebay after enough time had passed without payment. However, that same item did sell a couple months later December 30, through mycomicshop.com, for $1495.95, and that sale really happened and shipped to the buyer.

I'm only just reading this thread for the first time, hence the late reply but it's worth replying to.

Jaydogrules, you can not have a book marked as sold on eBay unless someone actually commits to a purchase. MCS (nor anyone else) has the ability to tell eBay to mark books as sold if there is not a buyer committing to buy the book.

Stating that MCS does it 'notoriously' is not only erroneous, it's libelous.

On 1/22/2015 at 4:07 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Thank you for clearing that up. By the way I was never attempting to imply that MCS was actively doing anything nefarious, I was merely stating that due to your high volume of transactions "bad sales" will inevitably slip through on ebay, potentially queer the market, as did happen with that particular copy of BA 12. (thumbs u Removal of that $1690 sale from GPA will make a dent in the book's 90 day average.

-J.

No that's not what you said.

You stated that a reputable dealer was 'notorious' for falsifying eBay data (see my quote of you above).

I didn't enter this thread looking to troll Jaydogrules (I was reading up on something completely unrelated) but considering the posts are 3 years old and Jaydogrules is still showing a pattern of behavior of moving goal posts while discrediting good standing people in the hobby undeservedly (something that may not have been as apparent 3 years ago) I thought it was worth noting (and quoting) for posterity.

Carry on.

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Business must be bad.

I'm flattered to be taking up so much space in your head in the meantime.  

And FTR, mycomicshop STILL is a facilitator of fake eBay sales via eBay. They knew it and acknowledged it then, which is why they took the time to respond to my post and clarify how their site was being gamed to artificially fix the market. They've gotten more aggressive about scrubbing those fake sales when they find out about them (like they did with the one I correctly pointed out as being fake in my original post) since then but it still happens more than it should.  

Carry on. 

-J.

Thank goodness we have Jaydog to protect us little guys . . . . :insane:

Honest Injun he . . . :roflmao:

Edited by divad

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Business must be bad.

I'm flattered to be taking up so much space in your head in the meantime.  

And FTR, mycomicshop STILL is a facilitator of fake eBay sales via eBay. They knew it and acknowledged it then, which is why they took the time to respond to my post and clarify how their site was being gamed to artificially fix the market. They've gotten more aggressive about scrubbing those fake sales when they find out about them (like they did with the one I correctly pointed out as being fake in my original post) since then but it still happens more than it should.  

Carry on. 

-J.

@mycomicshop

14 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

On 1/22/2015 at 3:07 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Thank you for clearing that up. By the way I was never attempting to imply that MCS was actively doing anything nefarious, I was merely stating that due to your high volume of transactions "bad sales" will inevitably slip through on ebay

I acknowledge no such thing ("facilitator of fake eBay sales"). Not now and not three years ago when this was previously discussed.

Per your own response to me back then, you understand that we are not "actively doing anything nefarious", yet you still call us a "facilitator of fake eBay sales". Maybe to you that sounds like a neutral non-critical statement, but to most people that sounds like you're accusing us of willfully aiding fraudulent sellers.

In 2015 I discussed the concerns about non-completed BINs being picked up by GPA with George from GPA. To prevent that possibility, we started reporting our eBay sales to GPA, in addition to our web site sales we already report. GPA uses that list of verified ebay sales to confirm that any of our eBay sales they collect were indeed completed. GPA says that process is working, so as far as I know any sales made from our account should be 100% reliable whether they take place on our site or on eBay.

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

This is mincing words.  It's just a nicer way of saying "fake sale".

And since you've decided to take the bait of a couple of known board trolls let's talk about it a little more.  I'm really glad that our earlier interaction, even if only in part, led to a more accurate reporting of real sales by you.  Like any other ethical ebay seller, the onus is on you to make sure accurate sales data is passing through to eBay to the data collecting sites, otherwise what good are those sites?  And if fake sales are passing through, and you do nothing to stop it, that onus is also on you. You may not like my choice of words, and that's your prerogative, but the fact remains that I pointed out a valid flaw in your reporting system and you have said you have since 100% addressed it so thank you for that, and my work is done here on the matter.  

-J.

PS: There is one other possible reporting glitch that I have observed in your system, feel free to PM if you would like additional details on that one.  

If you're referring to me when you say "known board troll" for tagging MCS, I don't think your classification is correct.

Normally, your verbal diarrhea, while ill-informed and annoying, is for the most part harmless. But when it's aimed at another board member and a well respected dealer, you should at least have the balls to address them directly. The fact that you didn't quote or tag them makes it seem like you were hoping they wouldn't see your post, hence, why I tagged them.