• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Now,how many Marvel Comics #1?

150-200 likely

Do you think the October printing is worth more than the November one?
on the rare occasion I had an oct, or both, I priced the oct at a premium....not sure the market as a whole views likewise, but I did

Wow...don't know if I thought more or less...I wonder,with that black cover,how many have CT/restore work?

Figure there are less or more Subby #1?

Probably 1/2 restored. But it's not a black cover but blue (thumbs u

Never seen one in person..? :blush: I always sort of thought it looked navy,but most pics looks black.

Thank you.

It's a blue cover. Never seen a pic depicting it black?

Here's the Allentown copy when I used to own it

image_zpsfgxih29z.jpeg

My eyes just want to see it black I guess.

Any idea who had the restore work done on that?Necessary do you think?

no idea who or when work was done...not nec at all, but likely it was done before the restored stigma reared its head

Hi Rick,

What do you see happening to the market and prices for GA books as the population ages and, for lack of a better word, "exits" the hobby? Is there much interest in this era as a whole with younger collectors, or is the outcome going to vary greatly based on character/ title?

Thanks,

Ryan

Great question and very relevant. Can't wait to hear G.A.tor's response. Can we tack on to this question what would happen to any key book, e.g. AF15, Hulk 1, Action 1, ...

for the immediate future, blue chips would appear to be "relatively" safe.... though, personally I've seen some of them appreciate to aggressively of late for my tastes...

Hi Rick,

What do you see happening to the market and prices for GA books as the population ages and, for lack of a better word, "exits" the hobby? Is there much interest in this era as a whole with younger collectors, or is the outcome going to vary greatly based on character/ title?

Thanks,

Ryan

Great question and very relevant. Can't wait to hear G.A.tor's response. Can we tack on to this question what would happen to any key book, e.g. AF15, Hulk 1, Action 1, ...

for the immediate future, blue chips would appear to be "relatively" safe.... though, personally I've seen some of them appreciate to aggressively of late for my tastes...

Won't these blue chips eventually hit a high that they will have no where to go but down? Especially when older collectors or their heirs start selling off these comics. I'm not sure kids growing up now will have the same connection or desire to purchase these books in 30 years, as present collectors who grew up with them. I know we don't have a crystal ball, but can you see AF15 continuing to rise at its current rate and not eventually come back down to earth, market correction. Will the demand be there to pay the skyrocketing prices?

Hi Rick,

Thanks,

Ryan

Won't these blue chips eventually hit a high that they will have no where to go but down? Especially when older collectors or their heirs start selling off these comics. I'm not sure kids growing up now will have the same connection or desire to purchase these books in 30 years, as present collectors who grew up with them. I know we don't have a crystal ball, but can you see AF15 continuing to rise at its current rate and not eventually come back down to earth, market correction. Will the demand be there to pay the skyrocketing prices?

they are already 50-75 years old and still skyrocketing...virtually no one buying today had any direct connection to initial release...no reason to think next generation will behave any differently...

in theory all items have a ceiling price...but, mor often than not, the ceiling becomes the floor after it is reached

Why is there such a big discrepancy between Overstreet and what books are currently selling for and is the guide still relevant?
bob moves his prices the old fashion way....it's a once a year "guide" that really has lost most all relevance when it comes to "in demand" books... the world and info is instant these days, so a once a year guide can't capture , generally, the market at a glance...

it is a great source for information and for basis for pricing common, harder to sell books, but not relevant on keys

Gator

I hear you are the man to ask so here goes. This book seems to be a 4.5 to me except the 3 hole punch. Would be better but 1/2" spine split at bottom and staple pulls. Will this get a 4.5 qualified or a lower Universal grade, like 1.8-2.0?

9A812D59-F629-4D56-9AB6-9FD927E75AB8.png_zpsbrn8kiog.jpeg

83530107-2858-4667-9B6C-3A457368A8BA_zpswrvjsqvk.png

most 3 hole punched books Ive see from cgc are 1.0 to 2.0 blue (2.0 highest I've seen)

Mr. GAtor, do you think the new holders are better for brittle books or worse?

Better. Old holders allowed a certain amount of movement within the slab that sometimes "shook" brittle pieces loose. The pressure of the new case should prevent any brittle pieces from "falling" off within the slab...bottom line is brittle isn't getting any better regardless of which slab its in

Mr. GAtor, do you think the new holders are better for brittle books or worse?

Better. Old holders allowed a certain amount of movement within the slab that sometimes "shook" brittle pieces loose. The pressure of the new case should prevent any brittle pieces from "falling" off within the slab...bottom line is brittle isn't getting any better regardless of which slab its in

thank you sir! (worship)

Hey G.A.tor,

I have heard that Canadian Edition GA DCs generally go for about 1/2 of their US counterparts. Does this sound about right to you? I thought there was a thread on it, but I cannot seem to locate it.

The Can.GA DCs are smaller,lacking a story,sometimes the one featured oñ the cover.

I collect them,but pay significantly less due to the missing content.

Sorry Rick,thought I'd open my big mouth!

The Can.GA DCs are smaller,lacking a story,sometimes the one featured oñ the cover.

Thanks. (thumbs u This is very good information to know.

Thanks. (thumbs u This is very good information to know.

Sounds about right

GAtor - When you set up at conventions are there specific cities or states where you make sure to bring certain product? For instance, you know that you are setting up in Boston so you make sure you have more Spider-man on hand and high end Classic Illustrated.

I guess I am asking if there is a specific market per city?