• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman: Knightfall Multiple Printing Club
3 3

72 posts in this topic

Seeing all the various threads in the Copper and Modern sections devoted to the Death and Return of Superman multiple printings and DC Universe UPC logo variants, I wanted to see if any threads were devoted specifically to the multiple printing variants from Knightfall. My search did not yield any such results, so if a similar thread already exists and I missed it, I do apologize.

I include Batman #488-490 as the beginning of the Knightfall saga, as far as I know, Batman #489 was one of the first issues to receive a second printing. I'm also aware of the multiple Vengeance of Bane printings.

If you have any of the multiple printing variants for this saga, let's see them!

Here is a truncated quote from another thread, listing the multiple Knightfall print variations for Batman.

Key 80's Batman Issues

Here's a list of the Variants courtesy of this great thread: http://www.comicspriceguide.com/boards/345/Batman-2nd-,-third-and-other-printings?PageIndex=1

Batman 489

Dated Feb 93

UPC is Doug Moench/ Jim Aparo

US UK; Can Prices

Note: Batman title in white letters

Batman 489 Second print

Dated Feb 93

US, Can Prices

Note: Clearly states II on the cover designating second print and Batman title in yellow letters

Batman 490

Dated Mar 93

US UK; Can Prices

Note:Batman title in red letter

Batman 490 Second print

Dated Mar 93

US, Can Prices

Note: Clearly states II on the cover designating second print and Batman title in Pink letters(yes-Pink)

Batman 491

Dated April 93

US UK; Can Prices

Note: Batman title and UPC box in white letters

Batman 491 Second print

Dated April 93

US, Can Prices

Note: Clearly states II on the cover designating second print and Batman title and UPC box in yellow letters

Batman 491 third print

Dated April 93

US, Can Prices

Note: Clearly states III on the cover designating third print. Batman title in Blue letters.

Batman 492

Dated Early May 93

UPC is Doug Moench/ Norm Breyfogle

US UK; Can Prices

Note: Batman title on cover in dark blue letters inside a yellow bat. Batman title in dark blue letters inside a yellow bat. Knightfall bar on top in grey.

Batman 492 Second print

Dated Early May 93

US, Can Prices

Note: Clearly states II on the cover designating second print and Batman title on cover in dark blue letters inside a pink bat. Knightfall bar on top in grey.

Batman 492 third print

Dated Early May 93

US, Can Prices

Note: Clearly states III on the cover designating third print and Batman title in light blue letters inside a yellow bat. Knightfall bar on top in dark yellow/green.

Batman 492 Silver Edition

No date on cover

No prices on cover

Note: Issue information on cover shows 492 with the issue number in large bold numbers. Batman letters in dark blue letters inside a silver bat. Knightfall bar on top in silver.

Batman 493

Dated Late may 93

US UK; Can Prices

Note: Batman title in white letters in red bat

Batman 493 second print

Dated Late May 93

US, Can Prices

Note: Note: Clearly states II on the cover designating second print and Batman title in light blue letters in red bat

Batman 494

Dated Early June 93

UPC is Moench/Aparo/Mandrake

US,UK, Can Prices

Back Cover Ad= Flying Edge

Inside Front cover ad=Paramount movie ad for Coneheads movie

Batman 494 packaged printing

Dated Early June 93

UPC is Moench/Aparo/Mandrake

US, UK Can Prices

Note: 2 comic collectors set with Detective 665. Looks like this is still a first print.

Batman 495

Dated Late June 93

UPC is Moench/Aparo/Wiacek

US, Can, UK Prices

Back Cover Ad= Flying Edge

Inside Front cover ad=Paramount movie ad for Coneheads movie

Batman 495 packaged printing

Dated Late June 93

UPC is Moench/Aparo/Wiacek

US, Can, UK Prices

Note: 2 comic collectors set with Detective 663. Looks like this is still a first print.

Batman 497

Dated Late July 93

UPC is Moench/ Aparo/ Giordano

US UK; Can Prices

Note: Partial overlay outer wrapper in Black and White covering the letters "B" and "A" in Batman.

Batman 497(a)

Dated Late July 93

UPC is barcode with July 13,1993 printed on it.

US UK; Can Prices

Note: No overlay outer wrapper

Batman 497 Second print(has overlay wrapper)

Dated Late July 93

UPC is Moench/ Aparo/Giordano behind the overlay wrapper

US,UK, Can Prices

Note: states II on the cover BEHIND the overlay wrapper.

Batman 497 Second print(without overlay wrapper)

Dated Late July 93

UPC is Moench/ Aparo/Giordano

US,Can Prices

Note: More then likely Newstand version as the UK price is missing

Batman 497 third print(has overlay wrapper)

Dated Late July 93

UPC is Moench/ Aparo/Giordano behind the overlay wrapper

US,UK, Can Prices

Note: states III on the cover BEHIND the overlay wrapper

Batman 500

Dated Oct 93

Cover Price: $2.50 US

UPC is Bat symbol in yellow box

US,UK, Can Prices

Note: Cover has picture of Azrael(as Batman) holding up Bane by elastic straps. NO overlay cover. Originally sealed in a poly bag which included a poster.

Batman 500 (second print)

Dated Oct 93

Cover Price: $2.50 US

UPC is Bat symbol in yellow box

US,Can Prices

NOTE 1: The Roman number II is underneath the price designating second print.

Note: Cover has picture of Azrael(as Batman) holding up Bane by elastic straps. NO overlay cover.

Batman 500

Dated Oct 93

Cover price: $3.95 US

US,UK, Can Prices

Note: Cover has picture of Batman as a color overlay on the cover. Deluxe edition with postcards.

Batman 500

Dated Oct 93

Cover Price $3.95 US

US,UK, Can Prices

Note: Cover has picture of Azrael as Batman on the cover. Deluxe edition with postcards. There is some question as to whether this is an official release, printing error, collector's set, or intentional removal of the Batman overlay.[/b]

Now to find a list for Detective Comics.

I just scored this on eBay for cheap and am really happy with the condition. I really enjoy the pre-Knightfall covers from Travis Charest, I wasn't aware #489 and 490 had second prints until fairly recently. The yellow title logo really compliments the cover art more so than the white logo on the first printing IMO.

489_zpsv1wnipmd.jpg

I've got quite a few of these as I've been keeping an eye out for them. It'd be useful to document the logo color changes for books like #497 with the overlay that hides the Roman numerals. I'll get some scans up the next time I'm on my computer.

Batman%20497%2041%207.jpg

Batman%20497%2041%206.jpg

Batman%20497%2041%208.jpg

Very cool thread. Just to clarify, is the all white logo (2nd listing) the first print ?

Yes, 2nd, 1st, 3rd. I just tagged them. I uploaded them before I verified which was which!

Ive been trying to track down the platinum variants for Knighfall in the wild

How were these available?

I think each store, or Diamond account, got one. I know I have two that I got from the two LCS's in my town when they became available, but I don't remember if they were delivered with the regular editions or came out a little later. I know each store only had one available.

IMG_4600_zpsdqb8bvbq.jpg

IMG_4600_zpsdqb8bvbq.jpg

Nice! I've been able to pick up most of my later printings in the dollar bins over the years, but I haven't run across one of these in the wild. Nice book!