• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Frozen Comic Appreciation Thread

98 posts in this topic

On July 27th, we are finally getting a Frozen ongoing comic from Joe's Books.

http://diskingdom.com/2016/04/22/frozen-comic-book-coming-soon/

:whee:

Comic Book writer Georgia Ball has revealed the cover for a new Frozen comic book series from Joe’s Books. This comic book will be coming out on the 27th July and is priced at $2.99.

Brand-new adventures await Anna, Elsa, Olaf, Kristoff, and the rest of your favorite characters from Disney’s Frozen! Return to the magical kingdom of Arendelle again and again in this all-new, original comic series from Joe Books

I see this one becoming my first Registry Set since 2011's Under Locke & Key.

My new Frozen #nn Signature Series, signed by Idina Menzel (Elsa) & Jonathan Groff (Kristoff).

It reminds me of the strong start to a CGC collection the same way my Locke & Key CGC 10 did in 2008.

DSC06300%202%20Small_zps3ms3f2xf.jpg

It's my prize Frozen book, so far. Mainly because I've been a fan of Idina's since her work in Rent and Wicked. Heck, I own all of her movies from Just A Kiss to Enchanted (Not sure if I still have Kissing Jessica Stein though.)

I actually have a CGC SS 9.8's with Eva Bella's (young Elsa) and Livvy Stubenrauch's (young Anna- "Do you want to build a snowman?") signatures and another CGC SS 9.8 signed by Spencer Ganus (teen Elsa- the actress successfully sued Disney to get her cut of the profits.) I also have a few graded 9.8's, for no real reason.

No collection is complete without the ultra-rare 2nd print either, which I luckily snagged in CGC 9.8. These books are hard to find in high grade as well. Not that a lot of people had a lot of luck getting the first prints in 9.8 as well. I noticed a lot of raws riddled with spine ticks and cover crinkling.

I loved the interior art inside by Massimiliano Narciso. It reminded me a lot of Michael Turner's linework. Alessandro Ferrari took the best elements from the movie and made one of the best comic adaptations from a movie that I ever read. He still writes the amusing Frozen comic strips in Disney's Frozen magazine.

I think this comic had a 7,500 or more copy print run, which was always odd to me because of the high level of art in it and the fact Joe's Books had a 100,000 copy print run on the Frozen cinebooks . Considering there are millions of Frozen kids books and enough merchandising still out there, so that you can't walk twenty feet in Walmart without running into a Frozen item (from bicyle helmets to Frozen licensed fishingpole), I think the comics will eventually be quite the rare collectible down the road too. Kids can't collect what they don't know exists. Even in little New Hampshire, I still run into kids dressed up as Anna (even during the summer!)

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about this news. It's so cool to be back collecting a graded Modern series again.

I had real difficulty finding a Frozen 1 that wasn't abused or had a crinkle near the spine on the back cover, I think I ended up with 3 that look 9.8.....will the comic tie directly into the Frozen 1 or was that considered a one shot

Edited by krighton

I had real difficulty finding a Frozen 1 that wasn't abused or had a crinkle near the spine on the back cover, I think I ended up with 3 that look 9.8.....will the comic tie directly into the Frozen 1 or was that considered a one shot
I'm guessing Frozen #nn was just a one-shot "movie tie-in" and this new series will be be like the comic strip, just longer and about the ongoing adventures of Elsa & Anna and their friends. Definitely, can see Tangled and Little Mermaid cameos. If Baymax from Big Hero 6 can show up in "Frozen Fever", than anything is possible.

I'm guessing Frozen #nn was just a one-shot "movie tie-in" and this new series will be be like the comic strip, just longer and about the ongoing adventures of Elsa & Anna and their friends. Definitely, can see Tangled and Little Mermaid cameos. If Baymax from Big Hero 6 can show up in "Frozen Fever", than anything is possible.

tumblr_inline_nuymfjh0de1spja7s_500.png

I hadn't noticed that before and Frozen Fever has been played in our house a thousand times! It's known as "The Other Frozen" and it's played on repeat... When I say "repeat", NEG, I mean "REPEAT"... (please, not again) :eek:

The quality of the book has exceeded my expectations.

I was expecting it to be like the comic strips in the Frozen Magazine (now up to #9, I believe.)

But this was way better than those, as it doesn't evaporate from your mind as fast.

During the Lutefisk Festival, a dispute erupts over the reindeer herders trespassing over the musk ox farmer's land that might destroy the grass the oxen graze over. Queen Elsa and Princess Anna must make a political decision fast on what to do, as a snowstorm is coming that might eventually starve the reindeer herd.

This might not be a wee-one's favorite Frozen story, but it does offer up a decent moral struggle of what to do when two parties are arguing, that's not too condescending either.

...and when the negotiations work, always follow-it-up with come cool "ice powers" to seal the deal. (thumbs u

There's a mini story where Elsa, Anna, Olaf, Kristoff and Sven find a secret passage in the castle that surely will lead to treasure. But, instead it explains (without having to) how the family was able to stay in the castle for so long and not be seen.

The writing is delightfully mature, courtesy of Georgia Ball. Instead of giving us more of the same princess stuff, we get to see some backdoor political maneuvering between the two sisters and some unpredicted alliances.

...and the linework by Bernedetta Barone is professional and unrushed (compared to the magazine's art.)

Highly recommended!

I want to note that there is no variant to this #1 issue.

Which I find really refreshing. I won't rule out an eventual 2nd print though, or even a newsstand variant.

Either way this is going to be a nice low key Registry Set. (thumbs u

That's an awesome book! I wish I would have started to get the ongoing. I was a little disappointed with the layout for Disney Princesses. Here is my daughter's copy of the #nn book I subbed. I might send in my other copy soon. blockquote>Oh, that

I have (I don't know,) a "few" 9.8's of the #nn one and only the signed one doesn't have that annoying crinkling or spinal stress (under the top staple.)

You need to find a 9.8 of the 2nd print #nn. That one is fairly rare in NM+ alone.

I know Jerry Reymann (3204 Auctions) on eBay has a couple 9.8's of the ongoing for sale on the fairly cheap. He's one of my favorite sellers, who knows how to pack a slab.

Love the statue too. I buy just about every handcrafted Elsa figurine. I recognize the artist (Jim Shore?) I've been meaning to pick up one at Hallmark for a couple years now. I have all of his Christmas Ornaments through Disney Traditions.

Thank you! We like to pick up different frozen stuff from time to time. I got the statue from my LCS the other year. I'll see if it has any info on the bottom or if I have the box still. They might've ordered it from diamond (shrug) I'll keep a look out for the 2nd print. Thanks for the tip

...and here's the official start to my ongoing/eventual Registry Set.

Frozen%201%209.9_zpsjoh21aqr.jpg

Great acquisition! My daughter saw it and now wants one... lol

lol

(thumbs u

I love this book. Not as much as my Idina signature comic, but it's up there.

I can't believe how low these print runs are to these books (I saw a probable 15K number somewhere for the #1 here,) when you consider the millions of copies being printed for the children's books (the Frozen Cinestory book had an alleged 100,000 copy run.) Plus, I never see used copies of Frozen books at bookstores or yard sales. I hardly see any merchandise, anywhere after it's bought.

I think with the case of the comic books are, they can't buy something they don't know exists.

Thank you! We like to pick up different frozen stuff from time to time. I got the statue from my LCS the other year. I'll see if it has any info on the bottom or if I have the box still. They might've ordered it from diamond (shrug) I'll keep a look out for the 2nd print. Thanks for the tip
Yeah, I've been thinking about it all day and decided I must have one too. Not this week as I had a antifreeze leak fixed, so my radiator won't get frozen.

Yeah, that 2nd print in 9.8 is very elusive. I noticed on the bottom of a lot of raws, there is an ugly chip (along with color breaking spinal stress.) Someone out there has a few 9.8's, possibly up for grabs though.

I did notice CGC labeled a First Print as a Second Print in 9.6. I was going to buy it, to fix the issue (break it out and send in the label,) but it was for $20 shipped (I think) and it just seemed like a little too much at the time to fix someone else's mistake. Kind of regret it now.

...and here's the official start to my ongoing/eventual Registry Set.

Frozen%201%209.9_zpsjoh21aqr.jpg

Nice book..didn't even know that existed... I do have the 1st and 2nd printing of NN#1.

Btw I do have an extra 9.8 nn#1 2nd print if there is any interest... Just send me a PM...

Edited by obsidian00

I was a little disappointed with the layout for Disney Princesses.
Yeah, I was a little surprised myself, on how they set that one up.

Yes, the comic strip format is a surprise but it still works great and is a nice throwback to when Disney ran these strips in newspapers. It's a fun book overall.