• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #37

37 posts in this topic

I have a Detective #37 that I bought in the mid 70's. It's missing it's back cover and has 3 pieces of tape on the spine so it didn't cost me much. The question is ....what do I do with it? Apparently, I don't seem to be able to scan the image I have of the cover.

Detective Comics from the corresponding month/year had the same back cover as Action Comics and More Fun comics most of the time. So March 1940...you would need an Action Comics 22 or More Fun 53.

I have a Detective #37 that I bought in the mid 70's. It's missing it's back cover and has 3 pieces of tape on the spine so it didn't cost me much. The question is ....what do I do with it? Apparently, I don't seem to be able to scan the image I have of the cover.

Do you want to sell it or restore it?

Selling, I'd CGC it beforehand. Yeah, it's incomplete and will get a 0.5, but you'll get more money that way.

For restoration/marrying purposes, be patient. I used to have a copy with the wrong back cover, and one day Metropolis got one missing the front cover for cheap (8+ years ago) and I was able to complete it. You never know what will turn up.

Thanks for the responses. The front cover and inside pages don't look all that bad .I would love to hear opinions on those conditions. I tried to scan an image, but I can't seem to add an attachment.

its a bat cover pre robin with a nice presenting cover. slab it to protect it and hang onto it! a back cover may pop up at some point down the road. but a blue .5 with that cover is a great piece to a collection! continued demand and minimal supply... nowhere to go but up.

I will send it in for the grade. I bought it in 1978 with a Detective #46 that someone decided to shoot 10-12 times with a BB gun (otherwise it is a nice book). I spent $35 for the both, so odds are I'm ahead.

I will send it in for the grade. I bought it in 1978 with a Detective #46 that someone decided to shoot 10-12 times with a BB gun (otherwise it is a nice book). I spent $35 for the both, so odds are I'm ahead.

You've now owned that book for half it's life. Or to look at it another way, the issue on the newsstand when you purchased the 37 is now as old as the 37 was when you bought it.

Cool story. You seem to have been around a while so share some other comics. We all love looking at covers.

Leroy