• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

Adventures in Selling

I participated in my first ever show last October. I was pleased with my sales, it was an excellent learning experience and most importantly, I had a great time. I must have did "ok" as I was invited back by the show organizers.

In my town, there use to be a larger two day Antique Show, but with the sale of the local Legion (where that event was held), the Antique Show organizers asked the organizers of the Collectibles Show to "take over"...I think this is a good thing, merging the two shows.

The first show under the new 'brand' is scheduled for Sunday, April 17th, 2016. Moving forward, the plan is to have a regular two day show in October.

For as long as there is some degree of interest I will share my experiences, good and bad. I also look forward to any new comments and tips from more seasoned sellers. Thanks for your interest!

Thanks for reading!Here is the link to my first journal entry about my first show experience (for those who may be interested or setting up themselves one day): http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8903742&fpart=7

See more journals by Wall-Crawler

Edited by Wall-Crawler

This year will be an improvement in terms of "being ready" and I will have a larger space and much of the supplies I bought last go around I will be able to use again, so really, minimal expenses this time, other than the booth fee.

However, I did opt to get business cards made as well as a banner for my booth.

I have been working diligently in getting my stock ready for a show and I will have more product (and less stress) in terms of getting ready as I am "good to go" now. I plan to keep working and getting it organized so I have more to offer with each go around.

The only thing I will need to improve (or get) is a wall book display. I did not yet construct anything (and I am not particularly handy). I opted out of the pre-fab displays as the shipping cost is brutal. So, if I have one thing I really want to get sorted for next time, it is that. Not 100% sure what I will do in that regard yet, if anything. We shall see.

a few dealers in my area use a premade wall display made from pvc pipes and such that iirc another dealer makes.........it all fits in a duffle bag about 3-4 ft long, maybe a bit longer but i've only seen it once as i'm not there when they set up or break down

i could prob get you pics in may, and even the dealers info if you'd like

a few dealers in my area use a premade wall display made from pvc pipes and such that iirc another dealer makes.........it all fits in a duffle bag about 3-4 ft long, maybe a bit longer but i've only seen it once as i'm not there when they set up or break down

i could prob get you pics in may, and even the dealers info if you'd like

That would be great! I have had a few nice boardies already shoot me some ideas previously and those are still "filed" for the future, but yeah, I will look at any and all ideas! Thank You!

Ok, so here is what I will be bringing and have priced and ready to go...

Longboxes:

Archie (figured this is an all purpose antique and collectibles show, might be some interest)

Avengers and related titles

Batman and related titles (2)

Captain America

Completed Sets - Assortment of "pre-packaged" completed mini series and maxi series (or even full series), story arcs, tpb's, etc (4)

Daredevil

DC titles (Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League)

Fantastic Four

Hulk

Spider-Man and related titles (2)

Superman and related titles

X-Men and related titles (2)

War Themed (again hoping that maybe a war collector finds something)

Shortbox of assorted comics $10 and up

Assortment of digests, magazines and treasuries. Binder of CGC books available.

...Working now on figuring out some sort of wall display...Again, it will not be an ideal set up but better than nothing, I think.

On my kitchen table will be doing a mock "display area" to see how it looks.

Alrighty, no idea if anyone cares but here are some pics of my set up and stuff.

Like most, I have been buying collections, books and other oddities whenever I can...

I took a lot of advice I got last go around to heart and this winter I made a very big push to get "show ready"...That meant TONS of organizing, prepping...Basically spent A LOT of free time in winter doing this.

As I will be doing more of these local shows, I also had a banner made up to (Vistaprint). I wanted to look "fun" but "professional".

I ended up making a display board with my Dad two days before the show. He has carpentry skills. I do not.

Anyway, before a quick summary of the day, here are a few pics of my set up and a view of the show from my booth later on in the afternoon after it started to thin out...

161867.jpg.597544303bfde19fc64d05455500dbf4.jpg

161868.jpg.234f4727fa6559222fdc022bbb98e9f6.jpg

161869.jpg.6eb7b2954b0d286c012b9e553fecb6aa.jpg

Vendors allowed in at 8 AM. I was set up and ready to go by 10 AM - When the doors opened.

For the first hour and a half, I was worried. Nothing. A few curious looks but I think this was the "garage sale" crowd, you know, the hard core early risers. I don't think I had what they were looking for.

Then some of the guys and friends who frequent the local comic shop started to show up. Then others later on in the afternoon who bought from me last October that I recognized and others who follow my FB page...New faces and youngsters who were with their parents. Casual buyers looking for something to read. A real mix which was nice.

I was relieved. From about 11:30 AM until 3:30 PM I was pretty steady. Thank goodness my wife helps me. She is great with managing the cash (she has great retail experience and use to work for a local antique dealer, did estate sales, etc.) and writing and keeping receipts while I talk to customers and answer questions.

I was happy to see the people I know of course, but I was more happy to see new faces. What really brought a smile to my face was to see young ones getting books...We are not talking a lot of $ here, but that is not the point. One boy was so excited to have his Batman book that his younger sister then HAD to get a book. Who knows, maybe future new readers?

All in all, it was a successful day, but by the time the show closed at 4 PM and I packed up and unloaded everything, I was pretty tired. I have such an appreciation for the folks who do much bigger and longer and travel more for shows even more now than I did before.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

A very professional looking display, very nice.

Glad you did well. Always nice to see young kids buying comics, they're the future of the hobby. We often give young kids free books or bonus books when they buy something.

+1 on the display!

Second last thing I will share...Local news story...

They really only took bits and pieces of what I actually said...Oh well. Regardless, still good local exposure. :)

http://www.nugget.ca/2016/04/18/keen-eye-is-key-for-young-collector

PS - I am not the "young collector" mentioned in the article and I obviously sell books for more than $250....I said the most expensive book I had there was $250...

Not sure if anyone cares but I am going to keep going lol

I am officially signed up for the next Northeastern Antiques Collectibles & Nostalgia Show.

This time the organizers have decided to try to make it a 2 Day Show. Saturday October 15th and Sunday October 16th. I am interested to see how a 2 Day Show performs vs the 1 Day format.

The price went up a bit due to the extra day, but still (I think) very affordable. I am getting a "booth" for $225.00 - This will be my only real expense for the show as I have done two previous shows and I now have everything I need already. I am getting the exact same spot I have had for the past two shows which is great as it is close to the main entrance (and washrooms) and they are allowing me to reconfigure the space how I want.

Question for anyone reading: I will have more boxes priced and ready to go than the previous two shows but not enough table space for all of them...How do people feel about boxes under the table? Or would a sign saying other boxes available or something like that be better? I would also try to "rotate" some during the course of the show. Thoughts?

My experience shows that under the table = better off leaving those boxes at home. Sure, some people will take the time and effort to look, but:

1. They get in the way of people trying to look at the better stuff on the tables and wall

2. The few extra dollars in sales is not worth the back stress lugging those extra boxes

3. People, for the most part, want an easy and pleasant browsing experience. Ordered boxes, prices clearly marked, etc.

Now, if you're blowing out $0.50/$1.00 books up top and you need to restock, then maybe I would reconsider.

YMMV

My experience shows that under the table = better off leaving those boxes at home. Sure, some people will take the time and effort to look, but:

1. They get in the way of people trying to look at the better stuff on the tables and wall

2. The few extra dollars in sales is not worth the back stress lugging those extra boxes

3. People, for the most part, want an easy and pleasant browsing experience. Ordered boxes, prices clearly marked, etc.

Now, if you're blowing out $0.50/$1.00 books up top and you need to restock, then maybe I would reconsider.

YMMV

Thanks. That is good advice. I was really leaning AWAY from having boxes on the ground and this cinches it. I have room for about 18 long boxes. I think though I might bring a few other boxes to "rotate". That is one thing I got a lot of compliments on my last show was how organized and nicely it looked. I think I want to maintain that standard.

Ok taking a break from the "My Road To Success" action and to ask a question...

As stated above, I will be participating in my third local show this coming October. This will be my first 2 day show.

As it is a two day show, they will be providing overnight security, likely some students from the local college, taking police foundations or something like that (I'd be surprised if it was a real security 'firm').

My question is, what do the pro's do for overnight? Obviously, you take the high end stuff back but do I roll the dice and just leave my set up as is, take it down/away or maybe just put the lids on? Stay out in the parking lot all night?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

5 5