• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has there ever been a first appearance only on a cover?
1 1

100 posts in this topic

Good question, I'd like to know that myself. I can think of a ton of characters that appeared inside the book without making a cover appearance, but the other way around? That's challenging...

Gwenpool

What made me ask this actually was Gwenom. I don't know if Spider-Gwen will ever encounter the symbiote but if she does wouldn't that Guardians of Knowhere variant technically be her first appearance as Gwenom?

I can only think of one minor character by R.E. Howard called the Vulture that got killed off by Conan and Red Sonja. Appeared prominently on the cover of Conan 22, but didn't actually appear until issue 23 due to a missed deadline.

I would imagine if there are other instances, it would have probably been the same situation that caused it.

Kirkman's Invincible? Or is he in a cameo panel too in Noble Causes? Frankly, I flipped through the book quickly before I flipped it straight from the flea market on to ebay and didn't see him in the story, just the X-Men homage cover.

Gwenpool

What made me ask this actually was Gwenom. I don't know if Spider-Gwen will ever encounter the symbiote but if she does wouldn't that Guardians of Knowhere variant technically be her first appearance as Gwenom?

There could be a whole line here for Marvel

Gwenisher

Gwendevil

Ms Gwenval

The Invisible Gwen

Gwen and Dagger

Power Gwen and Gwen Fist

The Scarlet Gwen

Professor Gwen

Captain Gwen

Gwen, Spaceknight

Gwenwolf By Night

Gwen Nurse

Iron Gwen

G Gwen Gweneson

Gwoggy Nelson

Gwenactus

Gwenverine

Paste Pot Gwen

The Purple Gwen

Dr Gwen, Master of the Mystic Arts

Sabergwen

Gwevan The Hunter

Lizardgwen

The Mighty Gwengers

Aunt Gwen

Any character have their first appearance on a cover but not actually in the book itself?

Why yes. Yes there has been a book like that. Mister X's 1st appearance. Although his image also appeared on an album cover before this.

10gBEM8l.jpg

Gwenpool

There could be a whole line here for Marvel

Gwenisher

Gwendevil

Ms Gwenval

The Invisible Gwen

Gwen and Dagger

Power Gwen and Gwen Fist

The Scarlet Gwen

Professor Gwen

Captain Gwen

Gwen, Spaceknight

Gwenwolf By Night

Gwen Nurse

Iron Gwen

G Gwen Gweneson

Gwoggy Nelson

Gwenactus

Gwenverine

Paste Pot Gwen

The Purple Gwen

Dr Gwen, Master of the Mystic Arts

Sabergwen

Gwevan The Hunter

Lizardgwen

The Mighty Gwengers

Aunt Gwen

meh

Do all of the people on the cover of Action #1 and Amazing Fantasy #15 actually appear in the story? hm

Seems like lots of publishers used stock covers with generic images that were unrelated to the stories, so those might be the only appearances for the non-title characters.

I've never read it myself, but maybe Red Hulk?

Red Hulk is only on the cover of #1, and doesn't appear in the story until #2 (though he technically was behind the events that transpired in #1).

Any character have their first appearance on a cover but not actually in the book itself?

Why yes. Yes there has been a book like that. Mister X's 1st appearance. Although his image also appeared on an album cover before this.

10gBEM8l.jpg

Grrrr beat me to it. I hate you!!

10gBEM8l.jpg

Grrrr beat me to it. I hate you!!

:roflmao:

:foryou:

Gwenpool

I'm glad to see CGC changed their label for DPSSW1 and finally identified her as "Gwenpool".

When the issue first came out, they only referred to her as "Gwen Stacy" in the label.