• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

The team at Superhero News did a Throwback Thursday review of the "Man of Steel' movie since Batman v Superman is coming out very soon.

Some interesting items throughout the discussion.

- Jor-El as a 'pre-Superman' hero figure was influenced by the Superman animated series.

- Adam from the staff had Photoshopped Henry Cavill as Superman on top of Christopher Reeve's image when it was revealed back in 2003 Cavill was auditioning for the role. Henry Cavill wrote him back to thank him for the support.

TLH5aOe.png

- The movie could have done a better job of conveying why Jonathan Kent was so afraid of Clark's power being revealed. But that the mythology of Superman is so well known, it was hard for all audience members to move past this.

- There was a missed opportunity to demonstrate Clark trying to clear people from the fight scenes. But they also talked about being in the middle of a massive fight like this, having to do all he can to take out just as powerful villains.

- Superman in the Christopher Reeve movie is a character that went off for 12 years to the Fortress of Solitude to mature his awareness and skills. In the Man of Steel, Clark learns of his origins and abilities during the events of the Kryptonian invasion.

Whether you agree or not with all their points, it makes for a reasonable revisit of the film before the 3/25 release of its follow-on movie.

The movie was very hit or miss to me.

I rate it as a 6/10.

The hits:

The journey of Clark from child to adult and as an adult from job to job while in "hiding" was well done in my opinion.

visually well done battle scenes.

the misses:

the fight scenes all felt like I was watching a video game and someone else was playing. Super invincible guy punches another super invincible guy through skyscrapers that crumble and fall to pieces. (shrug)

Killing Zod. This is a major change in character for Clark/Superman. I don't care what the situation is, the Superman that I know would have found another way through the efforts of a better writer.

The death of Jonathan Kent. If Superman can move so fast, I found the whole situation ludicrous, Clark could have easily ran in, saved Jonathan from the tornado and no one would have known differently.

The 1976 film did the death in a far better way: he died of a heart attack while Clark was somewhere else. It teaches Clark that even with the greatness of his power there will always be situations where he can't save people.

I'll be watching it again tonight.

The death of Zod didn't bother me. People tend to forget that the Krpytonian villains were killed in Superman II - nobody was bothered then.

The death of Pa Kent was ridiculous though.

It was definitely a missed opportunity. Both DC and Marvel have a tendency to jump into the fights and fail to build up a connection to these characters. The death of Pa Kent could have been an awesome, heart tugging moment that added a much needed connection to Clark. Instead, we got :facepalm:

Edited by rjrjr

The death of Zod didn't bother me. People tend to forget that the Krpytonian villains were killed in Superman II - nobody was bothered then.

Throwing them into the "black" pits in the Fortress of Solitude isn't necessarily killing them. Although a "normal" person is unlikely to survive the fall, so I see your point. ( Their powers were stripped )

Throwing them into the "black" pits in the Fortress of Solitude isn't necessarily killing them. Although a "normal" person is unlikely to survive the fall, so I see your point. ( Their powers were stripped )

Yep, they died and Supes did nothing to save then when he could have.

I get it where people want their Superman to be that one wholesome ideal, where there is never an excuse to cross over the line. I really do.

But as much as comic books tried to hold to that for decades, they had to also come to terms with real life. If someone has made it clear they are going to destroy everything you love and appreciate, without a care in the world unless you stop them cold, it would make it tough not to take a life. Especially if it is genocide like Zod is promising near the end, how he will take them all to spite Clark.

'I am going to make them suffer, Kal. These human you have adopted. I will take them all from you, one by one.'

With that line, General Zod made his next mission clear. Before the train station where Clark is forced to break his neck or he would burn the family cowering in the corner. And with his level of dedication, you knew Zod would deliver on that promise. He will take them all!

Just finished watching MOS again tonight - I still think it's the closest depiction to comic book superhero action in any movie made so far.

It's also a great disaster movie and an exceptional alien invasion flick.

It is a really great film, though not without some flaws.

I get it where people want their Superman to be that one wholesome ideal, where there is never an excuse to cross over the line. I really do.

But as much as comic books tried to hold to that for decades, they had to also come to terms with real life. If someone has made it clear they are going to destroy everything you love and appreciate, without a care in the world unless you stop them cold, it would make it tough not to take a life. Especially if it is genocide like Zod is promising near the end, how he will take them all to spite Clark.

'I am going to make them suffer, Kal. These human you have adopted. I will take them all from you, one by one.'

With that line, General Zod made his next mission clear. Before the train station where Clark is forced to break his neck or he would burn the family cowering in the corner. And with his level of dedication, you knew Zod would deliver on that promise. He will take them all!

Yeah, watching it again tonight it's made fairly clear early one that the movie will only have one outcome.

I take my hat off to Snyder for taken something fairly silly and turning it onto a serious drama.

Yeah, watching it again tonight it's made fairly clear early one that the movie will only have one outcome.

I take my hat off to Snyder for taken something fairly silly and turning it onto a serious drama.

I upgraded recently to the Blu-Ray edition, which also comes with a DVD edition hidden inside (crazy that Warner Bros. is not advertising this is a dual-disc set). There is a version of the movie you can play that has creators and actors appear throughout the movie to explain additional details about the film. Well worth the time to watch it.

But I do agree. The one thing that truly bugs me about the movie is the Jonathan Kent tornado scene. I originally wrote it off too quickly as acceptable to demonstrate how Jonathan had influenced his son to hide his capabilities. But the good in Clark would have never allowed him to just stand there and watch that happen.

I upgraded recently to the Blu-Ray edition, which also comes with a DVD edition hidden inside (crazy that Warner Bros. is not advertising this is a dual-disc set). There is a version of the movie you can play that has creators and actors appear throughout the movie to explain additional details about the film. Well worth the time to watch it.

But I do agree. The one thing that truly bugs me about the movie is the Jonathan Kent tornado scene. I originally wrote it off too quickly as acceptable to demonstrate how Jonathan had influenced his son to hide his capabilities. But the good in Clark would have never allowed him to just stand there and watch that happen.

Watching it again tonight - I still don't like the scene but you can see on Clark's face that he is panicking during that situation and that leads to his hesitancy.

Watching it again tonight - I still don't like the scene but you can see on Clark's face that he is panicking during that situation and that leads to his hesitancy.

Definitely a scene you can see makes Clark feel powerless to Jonathan's wishes.

But I do really appreciate this movie. Have watched it a few times now. And really love that they delivered a Superman film where Clark was truly challenged physically, morally and emotionaly.

(worship)

Just finished watching MOS again tonight - I still think it's the closest depiction to comic book superhero action in any movie made so far.

I was debating this with my brother in law the other night and for me at least, this has been the best superhero flick to date. Probably alone in that but it worked for me, flaws and all.

I agree. Many people don`t realize what your talking about, and have been blinded over the years by kool-aid indoctrination. Many genocides could have prevented throughout history if forced was used back at the bullying aggressor/invading parties,instead of talk.

A lot of people don`t get how violent Zod was in his mission to wipe out the human race and replace it with his Krytonian culture and heritage!

Superman had no choice.

I was debating this with my brother in law the other night and for me at least, this has been the best superhero flick to date. Probably alone in that but it worked for me, flaws and all.

I concur a great film.

I hope this same Man of Steel shows up in the Batman vs. Superman movie!