• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

There is a lot of talk over on hisstank about Joe being put on the backburner with an all or nothing push with GI Joe 3 in 2017-2018.

I'm surprised it took this long.

As a JOE fan it wasn't hard to kind of see the brand dying, mostly to premium collectible type of stuff being announced, and it's hard not to look across the isle at Transformers, which even though people person_without_enough_empathy, Bay put together billions in profits and brand recognition with his films. TF is a force overseas too in a way that's almost impossible for JOE.

Both Hasbro and Mattel have to be looking at what's going with properties in films that share popularity peeks with their properties.

As a diehard JOE fan I hope they come up with something fun.

Here is what I posted in the conversation over there... (while some were yelling about gun rights) I thought it made sense without being political.

I do not believe the following is a political statement as it does not advocate a position.

No matter which position anyone in this forum takes on the debate of gun ownership in the United States that does not release us from the fact that there is a debate. For years Volkswagen would not allow its vehicle designs to be associated with anything that carried a weapon due to concerns over its image of war. (Remember why there was never a Binal-Tech Bumblebee?)

Now there is credence to the idea that Hasbro is trying to be delicate in exploring methods to keep the GI Joe toy line active in a cultural atmosphere where children and gun usage is a closely analyzed matter. I believe it would be company suicide for any newscaster to point a finger at Hasbro and say, "The shooter was a known GI Joe fan and collector." Like it or not, the media would raise the question of whether or not 'war toys' should be made available to kids. So how does Hasbro keep the brand active in this atmosphere?

Star Wars and Transformers are fantasy war. GI Joe is real world modern warfare.

I honestly suspect that we are on the verge of another redesign.

I also believe that the 80's are dead.

I also believe that Hasbro will NOT be marketing real world military lines to five year olds to play with. It is one thing to market that to older teenagers and adults. However the kid market needs to be there and until Hasbro seems to figure it out, I would say we are not seeing a full blown GI Joe line outside of the fan club and SDCC.

On top of this though, I think we are about to see a 6" Scale Line

I also believe that Joe will be eventually divided back into an Adventure team or a sci-fi fantasy team.

They should have revisited the Joe vs Zombie theme that they started in the Pursuit of Cobra line were Cobra created the virus that allowed for the Zombie Apocalypse and that Joe was the last line of defense. I cannot believe that was abandoned.

That's very cool. Hama has said that he enjoys doing other things besides Snake Eyes. I was hoping that he would have shown up at the Carbo show despite what happened last year but he did not. I will have to wait until NYCC to get another sketch opportunity. (Usually on the 8x11 paper)

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking of Tunnel Rat since the character was based on him.

I realize G.I. Joe, the vast majority of them, are not tough to find, which is why I tended to focus on foreign releases, but has there been some kind of massive warehouse find of domestic mail-away toys over the last few years?

I see so many more than I used too in great number and wonderful condition. Like I said, never rare to begin with, but I feel like I see them in such large quantity now.

That's very cool. Hama has said that he enjoys doing other things besides Snake Eyes. I was hoping that he would have shown up at the Carbo show despite what happened last year but he did not. I will have to wait until NYCC to get another sketch opportunity. (Usually on the 8x11 paper)

Tunnel Rat would be cool! (thumbs u Not many comic creators have a character based on them.

"I was hoping that he would have shown up at the Carbo show despite what happened last year" Whats this about? What happened?

"I was hoping that he would have shown up at the Carbo show despite what happened last year" Whats this about? What happened?

At Big Apple Comic Con, Hama was not announced on the Guest List but was present at the show. He was assigned a table but was not advertised nor was any fanfare made of his appearance. At the time on his FB feed he remarked about it and asked his FB followers whether or not he should stick around or not. The Carbo show put him in a place at the venue that can best be described as "offset" from the rest of the artists. He was not pleased about the circumstances as he felt he had wasted the day and seemed uncertain about ever returning to the Carbo show after that. (Guess he decided against it this year.)

Hama is one of the more generous creators out there. He has a minimal charge for sketches, does not charge for signatures and his happy to meet his fans. Over the past couple of years, I have commissioned three sketch opportunities and he has put a generous amount of effort and detail into them despite his declining health. (He has mentioned a declining vision issue as well as arthritis.)

I realize G.I. Joe, the vast majority of them, are not tough to find, which is why I tended to focus on foreign releases, but has there been some kind of massive warehouse find of domestic mail-away toys over the last few years?

I see so many more than I used too in great number and wonderful condition. Like I said, never rare to begin with, but I feel like I see them in such large quantity now.

Not that I know of, but I know of a few collectors that are getting out of the toys as they continue to become more brittle. The plastic and rubber used for the o-rings used in vintage GI Joe construction is not the most flexible and time has not been kind.

Not that I know of, but I know of a few collectors that are getting out of the toys as they continue to become more brittle. The plastic and rubber used for the o-rings used in vintage GI Joe construction is not the most flexible and time has not been kind.

Yeah this is a giant concern IMHO as well the the near flawless capability of resealing and manufacturing cards, bubbles, and bags.

For myself though, I just have zero interesting of any post-oring Joes. That might be a nostalgia thing, and probably is, but I think also related to Hasbro's inability to create new fervor with the product.

I wish they'd just come out with something new.

Ohhh... you are missing out my friend. The new sculpts and designs are dramatic improvements over the o-rings. I have repurchased a couple of o-ring vintage figures but made sure that they were loose.

But the new versions?

This is hands down the BEST Snake Eyes ever produced. It had a price point of $7 when it came out in 2010. Basically Hasbro made a Sideshow figure at 3.75'' scale. Not shown by this picture is the silencer which fits on to the uzi or the pistol. The swords can be affixed into the backpack hole so it looks like it is part of the web gear or it attaches to the back of the lower belt. The wrists are jointed so the right hand can swivel and go sideways while the left swivels and allows the hand to raise and lower. Double jointed knees and elbows as well as a peg head allows a range of motion that the original figures couldn't dream of. On top of that the construction is a softer plastic than the ABS plastic that they used to construct the figures with so there is no worry of breaking off thumbs or anything else.

There are some major misses in the modern line but there are also some stand out superstars.

03_snakeeyes.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

Ohhh... you are missing out my friend. The new sculpts and designs are dramatic improvements over the o-rings. I have repurchased a couple of o-ring vintage figures but made sure that they were loose.

But the new versions?

This is hands down the BEST Snake Eyes ever produced. It had a price point of $7 when it came out in 2010. Basically Hasbro made a Sideshow figure at 3.75'' scale. Not shown by this picture is the silencer which fits on to the uzi or the pistol. The swords can be affixed into the backpack hole so it looks like it is part of the web gear or it attaches to the back of the lower belt. The wrists are jointed so the right hand can swivel and go sideways while the left swivels and allows the hand to raise and lower. Double jointed knees and elbows as well as a peg head allows a range of motion that the original figures couldn't dream of. On top of that the construction is a softer plastic than the ABS plastic that they used to construct the figures with so there is no worry of breaking off thumbs or anything else.

There are some major misses in the modern line but there are also some stand out superstars.

03_snakeeyes.jpg

Oh, there is no doubt the figures now are gorgeous, it's just that I don't collect toys for toys sake. While that Snake Eyes is amazing, it's not a Snake Eyes that ever been in anything I like or owned before, meaning both the past, and nothing new that would make me want to buy it.

I can liken it to even maybe as early as v4 or even v3 Snake Eyes (o-ring), it's just not desirable to me because that figure has never been in anything or representative of anything I value.

That reality to go along with that I'm just tired of the same old as well, puts Joe in an odd place with me.

I was really looking forward to that SK Omega line that was long rumored but nothing ever came of it.

I only own one MOC 1980s Joe, and don't plan on buying any more of them due to the unfortunate o-ring problem. I don't collect modern toys, so I have fun collecting loose figures and vehicles from the 1984-86 time period (which was the time I collected Joes as a kid). I look for figures/vehicles loose, and sometimes with a nice conditioned opened box as well, and that has been a very satisfying collecting experience for me.

I only own one MOC 1980s Joe, and don't plan on buying any more of them due to the unfortunate o-ring problem. I don't collect modern toys, so I have fun collecting loose figures and vehicles from the 1984-86 time period (which was the time I collected Joes as a kid). I look for figures/vehicles loose, and sometimes with a nice conditioned opened box as well, and that has been a very satisfying collecting experience for me.

Throw in 87 and that's really the Golden Age right there IMHO.

I think up to 89 is the golden age due to Destro's Iron Grenadiers and the amazing story that was happening on Cobra Island to tie it altogether. Some really good figures came out of 89 such as Alley Viper, Annihilator, Night Viper, and such.

I think up to 89 is the golden age due to Destro's Iron Grenadiers and the amazing story that was happening on Cobra Island to tie it altogether. Some really good figures came out of 89 such as Alley Viper, Annihilator, Night Viper, and such.

Oh I love those two, I'm a hardcore Iron Grenadier fan, and I still have multiple Rolling Thunders and Stealths but just as an overall brand for me I think the animated film started started a trend of wearing on me and it kind of felt like Joe was going another route, even if that route initially was good and they still had examples of great figures - 89 was Battleforce, a lot of space stuff, the and the repaint Mauraders.

But going a year earlier I can see how it could extend, v2 Storm Shadow is dope, Hit n' Run is a great figure, some cool beginnings of (repaints) Night Force and Tiger Force. I just think after '87 repaints started to happen a lot but it was still strong enough to be Silver Age

Agree! (thumbs u Good memories from that time. :cloud9: