• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Predator directed by Shane Black (3/2/18)

157 posts in this topic

The official movie Facebook page launched the other day, with an interesting quote.

The Predator (Facebook)

Shane Black’s ‘Predator’ Sequel Is Called ‘The Predator’; First Poster Revealed

While reboot/sequel/sequelboot culture is getting a bit tiring, it’s impossible not to be excited about a new Predator movie when Shane Black is involved. The Kiss Kiss Bang Bang filmmaker had a supporting role in the original Arnold Schwarzenegger-fronted actioner and contributed heavily to that film’s screenplay, and he returned to the franchise in 2014 by boarding 20th Century Fox’s reboot. However, instead of starting from scratch, Black and co-writer Fred Dekker (of Monster Squad fame) opted to craft a sequel, explaining to us here at Collider, “Why start over when you’ve all this rich mythology to mine?” Black added that he’s a fan of “really inventive sequels,” which should be obvious given the stellar Iron Man 3, but since that time we haven’t heard too much by way of updates on the new Predator movie. Until today, that is.

The official Predator Facebook page unveiled a promo poster touting, “Here we go again, bro,” with the poster’s tagline reading “You’ll Never See Him Coming.” Folks noticed that in red on the poster were the words “The Predator,” leading us to wonder if that’s the title of this new Predator movie. We reached out to Black himself who confirmed that, barring any other ideas, The Predator is the current title of the film.

the-predator-poster.jpg

I actually thought the last Predator movie was insane in a good way. Shane Black, I'm in.

agreed, the last one had a lot going on. i liked the fact that they are two different races of predator, loved the yakuza and hunter predator fight! great ending to a fight.

Predator gets defeated by Gwyneth Paltrow in sweatpants.

The last movie Predators was half decent and kind of a homage to the first, with Shane Black directing this, I'll probably give it a miss.

I actually thought the last Predator movie was insane in a good way. Shane Black, I'm in.

agreed, the last one had a lot going on. i liked the fact that they are two different races of predator, loved the yakuza and hunter predator fight! great ending to a fight.

Also CRAZY performance by Fishburne.

I'd like to see this movie. Predators was pretty good, action wise. I am more a fan of the first film and want to see one badass go after another. Which is exactly what Predator was. Being a fan of the Dark Horse comics, there isn't a Predator storyline that has been done that will translate well into a movie (see Aliens vs Predator).

Predators was just a bit too much. It mixed some cool elements, but when you put it all together it was just very blah.

One on one. In a hot, humid jungle. That works.

Predator 4 Gets A 2018 Release Date

It's official. 20th Century Fox has announced a release date for the fourth Predator film. The next Predator movie will be released on March 2, 2018.

Earlier this month, Fox released the first teaser art for the film. The poster revealed the possible title of the film as The Predator, and it included the phrase, "You'll never see him coming."

Predator gets defeated by Gwyneth Paltrow in sweatpants.

The last movie Predators was half decent and kind of a homage to the first, with Shane Black directing this, I'll probably give it a miss.

What if it was a teenage boy in Lycra?

Really in. Shane Black is a terrific writer which I think is an aspect that's been missing with some of the Predator stuff we've seen (though as I mentioned I did enjoy Predators). If we are talking about throwbackish action, this is the guy IMHO.

Interesting -- I knew Shane Black starred as Hawkins in the original Predator; I didn't know that he was also heavily involved in the original's screenplay.

Makes sense though -- it was a few years after Lethal Weapon.

Interesting -- I knew Shane Black starred as Hawkins in the original Predator; I didn't know that he was also heavily involved in the original's screenplay.

Makes sense though -- it was a few years after Lethal Weapon.

What do you mean? They came out the same summer.

I really enjoy most of what he's written. Last Boy Scout, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, obviously Lethal Weapons, and I find Long Kiss Goodnight really watchable.

The Nice Guys is high up on my anticipation list for this year. Trailer was great.

Correct -- for some reason in my head I keep thinking Lethal Weapon was 1984, not '87.

But I do know he was just 22 years old when he sold the Lethal Weapon -script.

Agreed on the films you listed. the Nice Guys red band trailer made me laugh out loud.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Meeting With The Predator Director Shane Black

Well, there may be another return to the franchise, as the original film's star, Arnold Schwarzenegger, says he's going to meet with the director soon. At the Arnold Sports Festival in Columbus, Ohio, the actor told TheArnoldFans.com of his plans.

"I haven’t talked with him (Shane Black) yet but I’m going to meet with him for lunch sometime soon. Just as soon as I’m finished with this (Arnold’s Sports Festival) and "The Apprentice" and all this stuff. But I will get together with him. If there is any news, we’ll of course let you know right away," Schwarzenegger teased.

"There’s also a meeting coming up soon about Conan, about the project moving forward," he said.

:o:o

Interesting.

Shane Black Addresses The Predator Reluctance and Schwarzenegger's Return

"I was reluctant. I said, 'Look. You guys at Fox, I mean, I enjoy these movies, but we've been churning out these AvP whatever, they each cost a certain amount of money, they're okay, but there's no effort to elevate them or make them any kind of an event.' They're just sort of another Predator," he told Thrillist.

Luckily for fans of both Black and The Predator, Fox's response to the writer brought him on board almost instantly.

"They said, 'What if we said to you we want to reinvent this, and really treat it with as much of an event status, or as much hoopla as we would the Alien prequel, which is coming out also? We really want to make this something. The kind of movie that people line up for.' I said, 'Really, you'll spend a bunch of money?' They go, 'Yep.' I go, 'Make it really scale, spectacle?' 'Yep.' 'mess, that sounds interesting,'" Black said.