• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,625 posts in this topic

"You can't kill me!"

That was one I sold. Now I miss it.

:cry: Such a great cover!!!

2F3CC18C-04E0-4236-AB3F-99BA45F655A6_zps2gjgg4t7.jpg

I love the contrast of that black and white head. I don't think I've ever seen that cover, but it's fantastic.

I love that cover too but it's the purplish sky along with the white head that gets me. I sold a high grade copy of that book a few years ago. I think it graded an 8.5 and I've regretted it ever since. It looked like a brand new copy.

EDIT: Found my old scan of it. I think a boardie ended up with this book eventually. Just a stunner that looked it was printed yesterday except for the crease.

StrangeTales16.jpg

a 9.0 #7 is just about as cool as a 9.0 #11, which has sorta become my favorite early cover.

ff11-1.jpg

:cloud9:

..... favorite earliest FF cover is like choosing between Raquel, Bridgett, Natalie, Liz, and Marilyn ...... though a high grade 11 is beyond beautiful.... but then 7 :luhv: 8 :luhv: 13 :luhv: 1 :luhv: 16 :luhv: 18 :luhv::ohnoez::ohnoez::whee: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well said! lol

But FF# 11 does have a lot of special things going for it.

Obviously an intro of a crazy character.

The cover colors and color palate are also unique to most SA books. Who the heck makes a brown cover? Awesome. JIM #84 comes to mind but not many others.

The multi tone coloring on the Thing, Impossible Man and the sky scream late 1950's, early 1960's books. You just don't see that after the early 1960's so you are immediately aware that you're looking at an early SA book without even looking at the title or issue number..

Finally, the 12 cent circle cover. :cloud9: There are only a small handful of those.

It's interesting Stan/Marvel actually instilling the idea with the bold cover statement that this is a collector's item! This could be the start of a new thread...whereby the publisher boldly stated the notion on the cover that this wasn't some random issue in the series but was worthy of collecting or starting a collection...off the top of my head can't think of any others but it's going to prompt a search on my part...interesting...and don't recall a thread of this nature... hm

It's interesting Stan/Marvel actually instilling the idea with the bold cover statement that this is a collector's item! This could be the start of a new thread...whereby the publisher boldly stated the notion on the cover that this wasn't some random issue in the series but was worthy of collecting or starting a collection...off the top of my head can't think of any others but it's going to prompt a search on my part...interesting...and don't recall a thread of this nature... hm

If you ever watched the "Comic Book Greats: Todd Mcfarlane with Stan Lee" on VHS, Stan said "This tape I guarantee you will be a collector's item and it'll be in the Smithsonian" :ohnoez:

You can't really fault the colorist for issue 6s red trunks and green Doom. Just matching the coloring on the covers of issue 4 and 5.

And not only that: the colors are carefully chosen and arranged to have a great color harmony.

As for the #11, for a late reader like me, for which Fantastic Four #176 have been the second issue I have read, the Impossible Man is way more than a crazy character… He was like "what the heck is going on"? And then, the alternatively odd, heroic, astonishing situations which came up after Tigra and Thundra became part of the family… for a while. These issue were priceless in their fun and depth (I will never forget the final decision of the Brute). :cloud9:

Another one of my favorites I picked up from jimjum in October 2011... :cloud9:

ff16-1.jpg

i, too, owe a debt to jimbo…

IMG_1739.jpg

.... I do miss that one(as well as the 16....), but I'm glad you have it. We can never control what happens to our books once we have to sell, but sometimes we can find them a good home :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

prettiest 7.0 in my collection...

ff19.jpg

:gossip: ... 093********** serial number...... they were so tight then that I'm told they had a noticeable drop in submissions. It probably has a 1/8" tear inside or a stain on the back cover the size of a grain of rice. It would probably get an 8.0 on a straight resub (or higher...) GOD BLESS...