• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,764 posts in this topic

So the reprints aren't sought after? I would think from a completionist perspective, these would be no different than the X Men reprints, no?

They might be sought after but definitely not to the same extent.

I think part of it is that most if not all of the X-Men have new covers. Same with the Marvel Tales, Marvel's Greatest Comics, and Marvel Triple Action books. There are some exceptions like Marvel Tales #33 and Special Marvel Edition #4 but the covers were altered for the Picture Frame format.

I'm not arguing your point, by the way. But for whatever reason, most folks around here just consider the Picture Frame era to be 11/71-12-72. Though Hulk #159 is dated 1/73.

Here's another example, War Is Hell #3. Its design is basically the same as the most of the Western Gunfighters PF books, but it's not considered to be part of the run because it came out a few months later. But it didn't stop me from buying and slabbing a copy.

ycsevF.jpg

jaoycp.jpg

hNisMK.jpgiCMkMY.jpg

DwZdDX.jpgMuInlP.jpg

I don't know, but am happy to speculate.

I think that there were only 2 guys at Marvel at the time with the versatility to do a lot of covers every month, Kane and John Buscema. Maybe 3 if you include Romita, but his art wasn't as well suited to some of the titles. Kane wasn't doing all that many interiors regularly, whereas Big John was pencilling Fantastic Four and Thor every month, at the minimum.

Just curious but what led to Kane being so prolific with the picture frame covers [aside from the fact that he was a brilliant artist]?

Fortunately for us Gil Kane fans, he also drew more than half of Giant-Size Marvel covers in 1974 and 1975. On the whole, I don't think the covers are as universally good as his Picture Frame output. But there are still plenty of winners like Giant-Size X-Men #1, Giant-Size Iron Man #1, and Giant-Size Super-Villain Team-Up #2.

It seems like Kane was Marvel's go-to cover artist for a long stretch from 1972-1975. At least for a lot of the titles.

Here's a truly tough western. With Barton's insanely nice example, this is the only other slabbed copy. When buying picture frame comics off the newstand, I don't remember ever seeing this title.

WesternKid3cgc.jpg

Barton you wouldn't happen to have an under copy available? :shy: This book is impossible to find in this condition.

This probably is an under copy. The scan is deceiving. The spine has a lot of skinny color breaking stress lines that you can't see in the scan. It's maybe an 8.5 or 9.0 even after some TLC. But if you want it after all that salesmanship, I'll toss it in the box the next time you snag something in one of my sales threads.

Barton you wouldn't happen to have an under copy available? :shy: This book is impossible to find in this condition.

This probably is an under copy. The scan is deceiving. The spine has a lot of skinny color breaking stress lines that you can't see in the scan. It's maybe an 8.5 or 9.0 even after some TLC. But if you want it after all that salesmanship, I'll toss it in the box the next time you snag something in one of my sales threads.

Sure just give me a heads up and consider it sold! (thumbs u

I'll fight you over Barton's undercopies. :baiting:

I have a MTA #6 at CGC that's currently Scheduled for Grading.

If that book comes back at 9.0 or better, this book already has your name it. Well, not actually on the book. Just metaphorically.

DATRnz.jpg