• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Being a silver age collector I tend to go for the books that are harder to find, and thanks to roulette44 I've acquired many from him, and even though it looks like showcase 4 has definitely gone up in demand and value thanks to the new TV show and the upcoming DC movies, lets go to the numbers: the lowest amount of CGC unrestored copies has to go to Detective #225 here are the numbers.

Unrestored Copies as per the census

Tec #225 - 150 copies ^^

SC #4 - 241 copies

BB #28 - 642 copies

Hulk #1 - 854 copies

AMF 15 - 1,531 copies

That may be so, but consider that interest in Detective 225 has only recently peaked (because of the appearances of MM on TV and so forth)

It's likely people have been submitting all the other books (including Showcase 4's) at a higher rate, over a longer time period than Detective 225s.

I bet there's been a spike in Detective 225 submissions since the renewed interest in MM.

Being a silver age collector I tend to go for the books that are harder to find, and thanks to roulette44 I've acquired many from him, and even though it looks like showcase 4 has definitely gone up in demand and value thanks to the new TV show and the upcoming DC movies, lets go to the numbers: the lowest amount of CGC unrestored copies has to go to Detective #225 here are the numbers.

Tec #225 - 150 copies ^^

SC #4 - 241 copies

BB #28 - 642 copies

Hulk #1 - 854 copies

AMF 15 - 1,531 copies

If Detective 225 is sought due to the Martiam Manhunter first appearance then it is interesting to note that his second appearance in 226 is an incredibly scarce book, with only around 40 graded copies and most of those low grade.

Same thing - although this may be a rare book, lack of graded copies doesn't necessarily = scarcity.

Tec #225 - 150 copies ^^

SC #4 - 241 copies

BB #28 - 642 copies

Hulk #1 - 854 copies

AMF 15 - 1,531 copies

That may be so, but consider that interest in Detective 225 has only recently peaked (because of the appearances of MM on TV and so forth)

It's likely people have been submitting all the other books (including Showcase 4's) at a higher rate, over a longer time period than Detective 225s.

I bet there's been a spike in Detective 225 submissions since the renewed interest in MM.

Between September and today has been 10 copies added to the census, of which the highest copy was a 5.0 (so nothing major for a CPR game).

In the same time SC4 has added 9 copies in which one copy went from a 8.0 to an 8.5 (+1 in 8.5, census lost an 8.0 so highly probable of a CPR) and then the next highest was a 4.5 added.

BB28 has added 44 copies to the census, highest being an 8.0 and the majority of the books being added in the VG range

Edited by iceman399

Tec #225 - 150 copies ^^

SC #4 - 241 copies

BB #28 - 642 copies

Hulk #1 - 854 copies

AMF 15 - 1,531 copies

If Detective 225 is sought due to the Martiam Manhunter first appearance then it is interesting to note that his second appearance in 226 is an incredibly scarce book, with only around 40 graded copies and most of those low grade.

Same thing - although this may be a rare book, lack of graded copies doesn't necessarily = scarcity.

yep, a lack of census numbers also could mean it's not as key or popular book--and in this case a 2nd appearance should have lower census numbers than a 1st....with GA, the census numbers can be more accurate as those books are truly in the rare (20 or less) or scarce (100 or less) category. Also, some of the old school collectors prefer not to slab their books, and I've estimated (with GA at least) there being the same number of raw books in existence as there are slabbed copies. There are certainly some early/mid 50s books that can rival gold in difficulty.

Tec #225 - 150 copies ^^

SC #4 - 241 copies

BB #28 - 642 copies

Hulk #1 - 854 copies

AMF 15 - 1,531 copies

I fully agree, it does not. Detective 226 is a very scarce book, but then again so are other issues from this title around the same age.

Tec #225 - 150 copies ^^

SC #4 - 241 copies

BB #28 - 642 copies

Hulk #1 - 854 copies

AMF 15 - 1,531 copies

yep, a lack of census numbers also could mean it's not as key or popular book--and in this case a 2nd appearance should have lower census numbers than a 1st....with GA, the census numbers can be more accurate as those books are truly in the rare (20 or less) or scaruce (100 or less) category. Also, some of the old school collectors prefer not to slab their books, and I've estimated (with GA at least) there being the same number of raw books in existence as there are slabbed copies. There are certainly some early/mid 50s books that can rival gold in difficulty.

I think Detective 226 is typical of a scarce DC issue from that era. Many just don't turn up that often, especially in nice condition. The fact that most appear to be very low grade may also be a factor over not being CGC graded in larger numbers.

absolutely agree with everyone's opinion here, these DC silver age books are so hard to find in decent grade, btw have you guys seen that detective #225 in cgc 8.0 on eBay it looks pretty nice, I'm thinking of upgrading my 7.0 copy. hm
BIN is $20k+ :insane:

I'm guessing that's a decent price (or better) for a 5.0 purple??

I'm also guessing that the C-1 designation (Poor Quality but Slight Quantity) helped the price along.

I'm even further guessing that the "new" Restored grading system has further confused the given Value of a restored book?? (6 degrees of resto up to 15 plus 1 conserved).

???(shrug)