• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

Most of the Action Comics I bought from my LCS awhile back. I happened to be there one day when an older lady had just brought those in and sold them to the owner and he let me go through them first.

Edited by Azkaban

Got this for a song in a recent Heritage weekly auction. I've always liked this cover...

superman204.jpg

A favorite of mine, too, and I've even got a story to go with it:

I'm fairly certain this wasn't my first comic, but it is the first comic I remember buying, because it has a story that goes with it.

I was 6 years old, it was a Sunday in December, and we were shopping on State Street in Bristol. Bristol is a twin city - right on the Virginia-Tennessee border, and State Street is in the middle of town. In fact, the street IS the border, with one side of the street in Virginia and the other in Tennessee. In those days, Virginia had blue laws which prohibited most stores from being open on Sundays, but Tennessee didn't. So one side of the street was closed, while the other was open.

Anyway, I saw the comic below (the actual one below, I still have it) on the newsstand, and REALLY wanted it. My mother tried to discourage me, reminding me that Christmas was soon, and it wasn't a good idea to buy things for yourself that close to Christmas. But I REALLY wanted it, and was willing to spend my own money, so I bought it.

Christmas morning, guess what I found in my stocking? I learned an important lesson then, you never can tell what Santa might be bringing you.

As I said, this is my actual copy - I don't know what happened to the other copy, as for many years I had both in my collection. Must have given it away sometime. I must have lent this one out sometime, too, since my mother wrote my name on it.

Superman204_001_zps3bc96bbf.jpg

Got this for a song in a recent Heritage weekly auction. I've always liked this cover...

superman204.jpg

A favorite of mine, too, and I've even got a story to go with it:

I'm fairly certain this wasn't my first comic, but it is the first comic I remember buying, because it has a story that goes with it.

I was 6 years old, it was a Sunday in December, and we were shopping on State Street in Bristol. Bristol is a twin city - right on the Virginia-Tennessee border, and State Street is in the middle of town. In fact, the street IS the border, with one side of the street in Virginia and the other in Tennessee. In those days, Virginia had blue laws which prohibited most stores from being open on Sundays, but Tennessee didn't. So one side of the street was closed, while the other was open.

Anyway, I saw the comic below (the actual one below, I still have it) on the newsstand, and REALLY wanted it. My mother tried to discourage me, reminding me that Christmas was soon, and it wasn't a good idea to buy things for yourself that close to Christmas. But I REALLY wanted it, and was willing to spend my own money, so I bought it.

Christmas morning, guess what I found in my stocking? I learned an important lesson then, you never can tell what Santa might be bringing you.

As I said, this is my actual copy - I don't know what happened to the other copy, as for many years I had both in my collection. Must have given it away sometime. I must have lent this one out sometime, too, since my mother wrote my name on it.

Superman204_001_zps3bc96bbf.jpg

Beautiful copy, Jeff. And a great Christmas story to go along with the book. I recall buying the book off the newsstand as well. Thanks for the memories!

:cloud9: Supergirl :applause:

And let's not forget her boyfriend Comet.

action311-superhorse-love.jpg

These stories can be filed under forbidden romances I guess:

I Love Ya But You're Strange - Brian Cronin

Supergirl Made Out with Her Horse? - Comic Vine

;)

Comet, definitely one of the more wacky and out-there silver age concepts. You think there would have been a more straightforward way to introduce a superhorse...but then it definitely wouldn't have been as fun in hindsight.

Anyways, here's my favorite Comet cover.

AC336_zpsdkwphpcq.jpg

It's got it all...Comet, the fortress, a stern Supergirl, a bewildered Superman, sexist comments!!

:cloud9: Supergirl :applause:

And let's not forget her boyfriend Comet.

action311-superhorse-love.jpg

These stories can be filed under forbidden romances I guess:

I Love Ya But You're Strange - Brian Cronin

Supergirl Made Out with Her Horse? - Comic Vine

Great copy, my friend. One of my favorite Actions. And love your comments about the cover, too.

;)

Comet, definitely one of the more wacky and out-there silver age concepts. You think there would have been a more straightforward way to introduce a superhorse...but then it definitely wouldn't have been as fun in hindsight.

Anyways, here's my favorite Comet cover.

AC336_zpsdkwphpcq.jpg

It's got it all...Comet, the fortress, a stern Supergirl, a bewildered Superman, sexist comments!!

So I was updating my two display shelves in my office to a Batman v. Superman theme, in anticipation of the upcoming movie, and I was curious what is the earliest cover was that featured Superman and Batman fighting each other.

I know there are a multitude of early World's Finest books with them competing against each other, but I'm talking about actual fisticuffs...mano a bato!!

The earliest one I could find was World's Finest Comics #95 from August 1958.

Here's my well-loved and tattered copy for your enjoyment...

WF95_zpsmvpewnpq.jpg

Does anybody out there know of any earlier examples?

I just got this one..... I've wanted a pretty copy for years. It's not a good picture due to glare and I haven't had the opportunity to remove it from the slab yet. I've got a weakness for D.C. purple.....and this one caught my eye in the PhotoJournals....... August '56. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ACTION%20COMICS%20219.....7.5%202.jpg

Yeah....... lol .....I always loved anything with Wayne Boring and gemstones :cloud9: ........ there was only a brief period, and this is just my opinion, when Boring was at his peak and was doing covers. It must have been profoundly disappointing to him to be kicked to the curb in favor of Swan, when his skills were gelling so nicely. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u