• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Southwest Florida Comic shops?

16 posts in this topic

Will be in Fort Myers Beach for vacation in March. Wondering if anyone can shed light on what the best comic shops in the area may be? Anything within a couple hours of Fort Myers is fine. Looking strictly for back issues, silver and golden, maybe even a grail. Any insight is appreciated!

Tis the season for Canadians in Florida. Sorry I live on the other side of Alligator Alley, the Atlantic coast. I only go to Ft. Myers a few times a year for work but don't shop so I can make it back home at a reasonable time.

Searching the web, these look like they are in a decent part of town:

Comics Cards and Stuff

And just across the bridge in Cape Coral:

Cool Comics and Games

S, 311 Del Prado Blvd #10, Cape Coral, FL 33990

You should feel at home, lots of Canadians here this time of year and lots of Germans in Ft. Myers for the winter. Is there a rule that all of Quebec has to drive to Miami for the winter?

If you are willing to drive 45 minutes or so, you can check out Naples, FL for shops or just to go spend the day. Downtown Naples is good for date night shopping and dinner/drinks.

I can't recall any really good stores in Fort Myers/Naples area. The last one I liked going to was Bigkatt's but that closed in 2014 I believe.

If you don't mind an easy drive that will be about an 2 hours due East, you can visit Tate's over in Lauderhill. It's considered one of the best comic stores in the entire country (they won the Eisner in 2010). They have a lot of back issues, and vintage action figures and the like. They don't really have any graded stuff though.

http://tatescomics.com/

I would make a night of it, because Tate's is open until 9pm. Make sure you go to the main location at:

4566 North University Dr.

Lauderhill, Florida 33351

You could checkout Tate's then head over to Fort Lauderdale (probably like 15 to 25 minutes from Tate's), have some dinner somewhere on Las Olas Blvd then watch Deadpool at the IMAX theatre.

Also, if you really want to have an adventure there are a lot of other comic stores in Broward (where Tate's is) that you could try. Also some in West Palm Beach (Past, Present & Future Comics) that have back issues. Make it a comic day over on the East coast.

Unfortunately there really isn't any good stores in Dade county (where Miami is).

I can't recall any really good stores in Fort Myers/Naples area. The last one I liked going to was Bigkatt's but that closed in 2014 I believe.

If you don't mind an easy drive that will be about an 2 hours due East, you can visit Tate's over in Lauderhill. It's considered one of the best comic stores in the entire country (they won the Eisner in 2010). They have a lot of back issues, and vintage action figures and the like. They don't really have any graded stuff though.

http://tatescomics.com/

I would make a night of it, because Tate's is open until 9pm. Make sure you go to the main location at:

4566 North University Dr.

Lauderhill, Florida 33351

You could checkout Tate's then head over to Fort Lauderdale (probably like 15 to 25 minutes from Tate's), have some dinner somewhere on Las Olas Blvd then watch Deadpool at the IMAX theatre.

We generally go to Sunrise to see a Panthers game so this would be perfect. Thanks for the tip!

It'll be about a 2 hour drive north from Ft Myers, but I'd recommend making the trip up to Emerald City in Clearwater. Big fun store with tons of backstock.

http://emeraldcitycomics.com/

I went to Emerald City Comics last year and was quite impressed. The store is huge with just about anything under the sun. It's like a small convention. They had a very reasonable and impressive selection of back issues; raw and graded. It is well worth the trip.

Tates Lauderhill like paradigmcomics mentioned, as well as Past Present Future in WPB. There's actually two stores in lauderhill on the same road as Tate's just don't know the name of it.

There's also a hidden gem that sells paper/hardback books and they have so many long boxes of comics. I have found some sweet back issues there as well as the keys they have in the case. It's north of West Palm Beach about 6-8 miles. I don't know the name of it I just know how to get there.

Good luck and GO BRUINS!!!! (sorry I like Boston)

Tates Lauderhill like paradigmcomics mentioned, as well as Past Present Future in WPB. There's actually two stores in lauderhill on the same road as Tate's just don't know the name of it.

There's also a hidden gem that sells paper/hardback books and they have so many long boxes of comics. I have found some sweet back issues there as well as the keys they have in the case. It's north of West Palm Beach about 6-8 miles. I don't know the name of it I just know how to get there.

Good luck and GO BRUINS!!!! (sorry I like Boston)

That's one of the Past, Present, Future Comics satellite locations. I haven't been to it since it moved. Here's the address:

5458 N University Dr.

Lauderhill, FL 33351

Book Exchange on Northlake Boulevard, perhaps? In an older strip plaza on Northlake by Prosperity Farms. Great little book store, lots of comics. Can be a bit pricey, but lots to look through. I love that place :grin:

Edited by architeuthis

If you're going to Sunrise, just spend your money at the Sunrise Mills Mall and the BB&T center seeing the Panthers.

Tate's is good and I usually buy from them at the cons. Past Present & Future has a lot but most everything can be found cheaper somewhere else. I usually go for free comic book day or to get new supplies. They'll have any new issues you want though.

My opinion: There is no reason any tourist should be travelling up the US-441 corridor of Broward County (Lauderhill, North Lauderdale, Tamarac, etc.). Leave that up to the locals and stay away from the Swap Shop flea market unless you want to get in an unprovoked sword fight:

Swap Shop Samurai Sword Attack

On 2/12/2016 at 4:59 PM, Jaylam said:

I went to Emerald City Comics last year and was quite impressed. The store is huge with just about anything under the sun. It's like a small convention. They had a very reasonable and impressive selection of back issues; raw and graded. It is well worth the trip.

I was just searching to see if anyone had ever mentioned this place as I will be in that area for vacation in june so will go there for sure.