• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emotionally Stimulating Modern Series List

84 posts in this topic

I missed this thread! :cloud9:

Strangers in Paradise

Sweet Tooth

Daytripper

Y: The Last Man

Bone

Sandman

Preacher

The Walking Dead

Watchmen

Stray Bullets

Echo

V for Vendetta

Current:

Rachel Rising :cloud9: (Sad it's ending.)

Saga

Descender

Outcast

Ongoing or Mini-Series
Saga
Mister Miracle (for the remainder of its 12-issue run)
Deadly Class (this is one of the few Remender titles that gets progressively better as it continues)
Monstress (in a 'Princess Mononoke' kind of way)

Graphic Novels
Beautiful Darkness and Satania by Kerascoet (French). These water-color graphic novels are absolutely gorgeous and absolutely fabulous. (Beautiful Darkness is the better of the two.)

I haven't reread it in a few years, but I remember Dynamo 5 getting to me at times. It was a generally fun, classic super-team book but with a nice modern twist (a few twists, actually). I liked the idea of finding out you actually had all these unknown brothers and sisters, and that this guy who you venerated as a pure hero, turned out to be the flawed man who was actually your father. 

Whether it gets you emotionally or not, it's still a great series. 

On 2/13/2018 at 2:27 PM, scumdolly said:

Ongoing or Mini-Series
Saga
Mister Miracle (for the remainder of its 12-issue run)
Deadly Class (this is one of the few Remender titles that gets progressively better as it continues)
Monstress (in a 'Princess Mononoke' kind of way)

Graphic Novels
Beautiful Darkness and Satania by Kerascoet (French). These water-color graphic novels are absolutely gorgeous and absolutely fabulous. (Beautiful Darkness is the better of the two.)

Have to agree with most of these except Monstress. I will have to read past the first trade to see if it holds up.

On 1/1/2015 at 10:54 PM, IntoAnother said:

This thread was created in hopes of discovering series that others may have found to be very emotionally stimulating to recommend to others.

I'm not emotionally mature enough to post in this thread. :grin:

On 2/16/2018 at 9:17 PM, followtheleader said:

Woods' Massive always hit home for me. 

Patrick

Why? Caused anxiety? (Not being snarky). I thought the first 3 arcs or so were brilliant & great world-building, but it started to fall apart at the end (for me)

Thoughts on Usagi Yojimbo? Great art and writing overall, sometimes funny (especially his interactions with Gen) but sometimes sad.

Spoiler

Issue 75 with the seperation from Jotaro is heartbreaking.

11 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm surprised we've made it to page 4 without anyone mentioning Tom King's "Vision" run.

I may have to check this one out one day. It was also suggested to me by someone else for it's humor. Is it also comedic at times in your opinion?

8 hours ago, Hekla said:

Thoughts on Usagi Yojimbo? Great art and writing overall, sometimes funny (especially his interactions with Gen) but sometimes sad.

Reveal hidden contents

Issue 75 with the seperation from Jotaro is heartbreaking.

Excellent suggestion, the art is as captivating as the story is imo. 

3 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

I may have to check this one out one day. It was also suggested to me by someone else for it's humor. Is it also comedic at times in your opinion?

I don't remember it as much for its comedic elements to be honest.  Then again, I think people remember sad things more than they remember the happy ones.

And while I'm at it, I might as well offer up 2 other suggestions:

1) Silver Surfer: Requiem (J. Michael Straczynski, Esad Ribic)

2) Spider-Man: Blue (Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale)