• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

I posted this in Modern (and I apologize for duplicating it here, with some minor edits), but it seems like you guys would be a better audience:

I picked up a collection today, including the vast majority of the 90s Turtles books from Mirage. That includes Tales of TMNT #70 -- the last issue. The last copies of eBay all going around $100 or more (and two of them were in the FN/VF range).

The copy I have would probably be a 9.4 -- nice, but not spectacular.

The thing is, while there are a few copies of this series that have been graded and are currently for sale, none have actually sold.

So I wonder if this is just a series that is NOT a gradeable comic, that the buyers just aren't there to pay the premium for the service.

I posted this in Modern (and I apologize for duplicating it here, with some minor edits), but it seems like you guys would be a better audience:

I picked up a collection today, including the vast majority of the 90s Turtles books from Mirage. That includes Tales of TMNT #70 -- the last issue. The last copies of eBay all going around $100 or more (and two of them were in the FN/VF range).

The copy I have would probably be a 9.4 -- nice, but not spectacular.

The thing is, while there are a few copies of this series that have been graded and are currently for sale, none have actually sold.

So I wonder if this is just a series that is NOT a gradeable comic, that the buyers just aren't there to pay the premium for the service.

You'll likely find that except for volume 1 of the TMNT (80's Mirage), the vast majority of collectors prefer their books raw. I'm quite familiar with this book and I'd say if you want it for your personal collection which consists of mostly slabs, have it graded. Otherwise, sell it raw. If you can snag a 9.8, you'll likely get a premium for it. 9.6 and below, you're better off just selling raw. The folks who are interested in it are more likely to read it or complete their raw run rather than just have it for a collectible. My 2c

If you do plan on selling it, feel free to send me a PM. I'm interested.

There is 1 9.9 of TMNT #37. That is the only 9.9/10 from the Mirage series that I know of.

Thanks for the info. Pretty amazing there is only one 9.9 in this entire series.

It sold on ebay in 2007 or 2008 if I recall. Not too expensive, either. Hasn't popped up since. I've been keeping an eye out for years.

Yep, you're right. There weren't too many slabbed TMNT books back then outside of the first 4 back then.

Hey Guys,

I'm extremely happy to share these 2 pre tmnt pieces of Eastman &Laird

First up is a 1982 cover by Eastman this was on the top of my comic want list for a long time and I finally landed a copy. I love how Kevin signed his name on the cover KBE

"NSFW"

image_zpsjdssux0i.jpeg

Lastly this piece here was on my hopes and dreams list this mini comic is rare that I honestly thought I would never own a copy.

image_zpsx8k5bxtb.jpeg

Thank you for looking and enjoy :)

Edited by Miamiknight3434

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. :applause:

You may want to put a "NSFW" warning for others, though. :gossip:

I'd say Tales V.2 is more for reading and less for collecting, barring #70. #70 is the last comic Mirage made. It post dates V.4 #31 and #31 in production date despite both being published years after Tales #70. So, #70 will probably always have merit, and being a part of RTNY doesn't hurt either... I have the 9.6 universal slab and I'm considering putting it up on the bay. Should I do this, I am making sure to include a file with all the interior pages so one could read the book w/o cracking the case. I do agree that Tales V.2 is not a highly sought volume for graded copies, but think #70 will always have merit raw or slabbed.

-----

Very cool. I know there a quite a few of these pretmnt books out there, but have never seen an exhaustive list. I think I have a couple...wonder how many there are?

If you include all the PL Saurian Design material and his work with SCAT as well as the material KE did for Clay Geerdes, you're easily gonna have a list of 30- 40 different publications with pre-tmnt contributions by PL and KE. I'd say there more than that, no doubt, too. I always wanted to try and get a list/database going, but don't have the time. Knowing PL was a professional artists for 10 years prior to TMNT #1, I would say someone trying to account for cataloging all his work during that time has their work cut out for them. I'm sure there are smidges of KE prior to 1981 out there, but feel a majority of his pre-TMNT work was done from 1980 - 1984...

This thread needs a bump, just thought I'd let my fellow turtle heads know I'm selling one of my beloved Shredder sketches in the c/m forum. I usually wouldn't post anything about a sale, but it's an awesome Eastman Shredhead, reasonably priced.