• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sagii Tapes posted by sagii68
2 2

247 posts in this topic

REEL FOUR: Wabbit and Co. ( Promotional Rarities -pt.1)

Super-Book of Comics (2nd series)produced in the 1940's used some of the most popular characters of the day to promote Omar Bread co. There were two features in each issue, the first featuring the focal character on the cover of that issue, and the second featuring 'Omar', a hero who used a magic wheat kernel to save the day in wild adventures.

Not common by any stretch, these were giveaways with covers using the same paper stock as the interiors. It's hard to find high grade examples due to this, but scarce as a lot of them are, it's great to have them in any quality. That said, i only collect the Looney Tunes characters issues. Bugs, Porky and Elmer each had a couple starring issues among them. This one arrived in the mail today, it's the second of the two Elmer Fudd covers. I'm now only seeking two more issues to complete the Looney Tunes sub set.

Of note, the 'Hancock Oil' company issued editions that were reprints of the Omar issues, cover and all. The last issue of the Hancock run, which is not numbered, produced in 1948 features Bugs Bunny, According to Overstreet, it does not match/reprint any of the Omar editions. I have never laid eyes on a copy in person, or in pictures. This is now an obsession to obtain. Please PM me with any leads. Heck, a picture of this rarity would do! :D

Super-Book%20of%20Comics%20Omar%2022_zpscqbvk1vk.jpg

sbc22-bc_zpsd9ybmcio.jpg

Very unusual. I don't think I have ever seen any of these. Maybe they were issued regionaly.Most giveaways usually are.
Hey RM

Again, for a collector like yourself who has seen just about everything, that's saying a lot. The regional angle is probably spot on. Usually when you're only two to three books off of finishing a run, it can be a beast! But all in the game. Keep an eye out for the nn 1948 Bugs Hancock edition in your travels for me. You may not want to part with it if you decide to snag it for yourself, but i'd love to just oggle one :D

Thanks for reading friend!

REEL TEN: Valentine's Day

Happy V'Day Boardies! Lots of activity in the Journal Forum today, some great stuff being posted. I have a long 'weekend' off that started Thursday and ends Tuesday, and it's so cold here in NYC i have been on the Boards actively over the past days :D

Thought i'd devote an entry to the theme of 'Love' :luhv:

Ah, those wonderful date nights, whispering sweet nothings...

Dotty%20Comics%2039_zpsbisgg6y3.jpg

REEL TEN: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY- v1 Wonder Woman

I was, and in many ways still am a big Wonder Woman fan. At one time i had a killer collection of WW comics from golden age to 90's, but as my comic collecting focus changed to primarily 'esoteric' golden age(though i still love many other genres too)i sold them all to build those collections. I regret it now as at the time i thought i'd be able to put it together again as WW books were not commanding the prices they are now, but...

She along with Captain(Shazam) Marvel, and Bugs Bunny were my all time top three from my little kid days up till now. Cap i got into from the 1970's Saturday morning live action show, and Bugs was a Saturday morning staple still at that time along with Super Friends and WW was also on television at that time starring Lynda Carter in the now legendary series.

I had a great Cap and company collection too, though not as impressive as the WW, still impressive. Sold those too except for a few along with the WW's. Only my Bugs Bunny (my no.1 favorite character)artifacts, books and collectibles have gone unsold. When i had the WW comic set, i also acquired cool WW collectibles too. Those i still have. Was tempted to sell since i do not have the books anymore, but who knows, i may reassemble a smaller, if still respectable WW book run someday, so i'll keep em' and share 'em here for now.

Wonder Woman turns 75 years old this year. So Happy Anniversary to the first Princess Diana!

First up, an autographed photo with certificate of authenticity of Lynda in her iconic role;

IMG_2064_zpse9mt77ty.jpg

A TV guide from the days WW was on television, and the 1st edition of MS. Magazine who chose WW as their first cover subject. At the time WW was still in her 'white jump' suit days in the comics. The publication of this magazine prompted DC to put her back in her costume.

IMG_2058_zpswqvhnbjr.jpg

Any collector worth their 'Geek Cred' knows Lynda Carter wasn't the first actress to bring WW to life in a live action portrayal. That honor belongs to (blonde!!)Cathy Lee Crosby who stared in this interesting if ill conceived 1970's TV movie. Kind of a cross between her judo incarnation and star spangled one, it's worth picking up at the WB shop online. No magic lasso, but she does mention she travels in an Invisible Jet.

IMG_2065_zpsfatalbq0.jpg

John Byrne was probably the hottest artist in comics at that time of my collecting days (everyone read X-Men)and i too was a fan. So years later when he took over WW's comic, i was excited. Not his best writing, but art wise his rendition of WW is notable for only a two star patterned trunk, bigger bracelets and a larger tiara. He also did a novel at that time which when he made a store appearance at the old Jim Hanley's Universe in NYC, i came , bought a copy and got it signed! :luhv:

IMG_1674_zps2xztkbmc.jpg

05667f06-c1ea-4da3-90b6-44306e13aab2_zpsws85wl6z.jpg

This is a store display item the now defunct Gotham City Comics in NYC held for me as a fan after they sold out of the first Byrne issue it was meant to promote. This opens up into a 'pop up' box which held the comic.

IMG_2062_zpsx5ldioqn.jpg

This was a promotional pin to promote the comic(i also have the promotional(non retail)poster with the same image as the pin folded somewhere in a box in my home lol. These are some 'Olympic' styled pins sold in a set from that time also.

IMG_2060_zps6kolyyvi.jpg

REEL FOUR: Wabbit and Co. (Moderns pt.3)

Space Jam will be celebrating it's 20th Anniversary this November. It's a milestone in Looney Tunes history as it was a Box Office hit, starred Sports icon Michael Jordan (his only film?), Had a memorable hit song ('I Believe I Can Fly'), and introduced Warners 'answer' to Minnie as a steady girlfriend for Bugs, Lola Bunny.

Though not a 'masterpiece' it holds up well with recent viewing. Wikipedia cites legendary master animator Chuck Jones opinion of the film: He felt Bugs Bunny would not have needed to enlist the help of his fellow Toons or MJ to defeat the Nerdlucks. "...And moreover, It would not have taken him an hour and a half (film running time). Those aliens, whether they were tiny or colossal, would've been dealt with in short order come the seven minute mark".

lol As defined a character as Bugs is, i could not disagree with Mr. Jones there.

Anyway, the comic is also 20 years old. I have searched eBay for a perfect copy for years. Looking especially for a certified copy. But since CGC's inception, no one had submitted this book for grading.

Until last week, when i got an alert from eBay, one was posted. I was expecting 9.2, as i'm sure in it's 20 year history most copies of this book sat in bargain bins the nation over at stores and conventions. Much to my surprise it was a 9.8. And i pounced!

Note, it is the ONLY copy on the census as of this post.

Space%20Jam%20nn_zpsihtdobub.jpg

This Teaser poster for the film featuring a killer Bugs Bunny rendering hangs in my living room

FullSizeRender%203_zps1v4mxgcg.jpg

John Byrne was probably the hottest artist in comics at that time of my collecting days (everyone read X-Men)and i too was a fan. So years later when he took over WW's comic, i was excited. Not his best writing, but art wise his rendition of WW is notable for only a two star patterned trunk, bigger bracelets and a larger tiara. He also did a novel at that time which when he made a store appearance at the old Jim Hanley's Universe in NYC, i came , bought a copy and got it signed! :luhv:

IMG_1674_zps2xztkbmc.jpg

05667f06-c1ea-4da3-90b6-44306e13aab2_zpsws85wl6z.jpg

This is a store display item the now defunct Gotham City Comics in NYC held for me as a fan after they sold out of the first Byrne issue it was meant to promote. This opens up into a 'pop up' box which held the comic.

IMG_2062_zpsx5ldioqn.jpg

This was a promotional pin to promote the comic(i also have the promotional(non retail)poster with the same image as the pin folded somewhere in a box in my home lol. These are some 'Olympic' styled pins sold in a set from that time also.

IMG_2060_zps6kolyyvi.jpg

Love the Wonder Woman stuff Corey. Here's some "vintage" stuff that probably belongs here...

wonderwomanstuff_zps572de185.jpg

REEL FOUR: Wabbit and Co. (Sniffles the Mouse)

While not being one of the more popular characters in the LooneyTunes canon today , Sniffles was an early LT&MM star, making his debut in a 1939 short titled 'Naughty But Mice', one year before the 'official' first Bugs short.

Later known for his extremely talkative manner, Sniffles has been revived a few times recently, most memorable in the 1996 movie 'Space Jam' in a short cameo.

He appeared on some covers and had a feature in the 1940's LT&MM comics, paired with a girl with the ability to shrink named Mary Jane. They had two cover billing issues in the Four Color run which i have recently acquired.

Four%20Color%20402_zpspvxa76df.jpg

Four%20Color%20474_zpssuy42yh2.jpg

Sniffles.png_zpswcx9wfbt.jpeg

Edited by Sagii

Hey Sagii!

Nice Wonder Woman write up, I never knew of the TV movie before the Lynda Carter show! I'm sorry to hear of your regrets about selling your WW collection, those of us who have sold to upgrade or build other collections can relate.

I would love to have some high grade silver/bronze Wonder Woman in my collection, raw or slabbed. I've also wanted to build a 9.8 set for all those awesome Brian Bolland WW covers from the '90s.

Hey Brandon

Thanks for reading, glad you found it of interest and found a new fun fact! Yeah, it's a story many a collector can relate too.

I think a lot of the Silver Age Wonder Woman's are still obtainable, you may have to take chances on raw listed as high grade copies to get a 'bargain' than buying already slabbed, but it's a gamble.

I think the ship for #98 has sailed :cry: (and i used to have two copies!!). I have pics on an older PC i still have and may do a Reel entry titled 'Sold books' or 'Used to own books'.

Brian Bolland did some KNOCK OUT covers on WW. That would make for one stellar collection if you decide to take a shot it.

Looking forward to your next entry, what ever you decide to post sir. (thumbs u

REEL ELEVEN: Rarities /Scarce /Oddities (v.1)

This Reel when bumped, will feature books that are considered as the subset suggests because they do not come up for sale often, are designated as such by Overstreet, fandom consensus, Gerber Journal, and or low (or no) CGC census numbers. Also books that may not be on the general collecting communities radar will be considered(oddities).

Four Favorites from Ace Periodicals began as your typical Wartime super-hero anthology title. The first issue featured Ace stars Magno and kid partner Davey, The Raven, Lash Lightning, and Vulcan all battling Hitler. It was 1941. Fast forward seven years and the title morphed into first a 'mild' mystery title, and then a Teen Humor anthology. The teen phase lasted three issues ending with this one. It was followed by 'Crime Must Pay The Penalty #33(#1), which soon branched into it's own series and numbering, and a one shot continuing the Teen theme "Four Teeners #34. All three books are tough. I believe i posted CMPTP #33 already in this Journal, Four Teeners i'll have to dig up.

This is a cool baby sitting cover, featuring leggy Betty and Veronica 'type' duo Bette and Barbara. iv'e only come across two copies in the last four years since i have wanted one, this one and one i passed on because of the grade (something i do less and less when considering golden age books, sometimes you have to get what you can get, but i got lucky here). Only two copies have passed through CGC since their inception. With those neat new cases, a third will join them in the not too distant future.

Four%20Favorites%2032_zpse6fxiamb.jpg

Edited by Sagii

2 2