• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

I dig this place, but never posted enough to have it become a habitual stop in for me. I'm hoping that changes. Here are a few of my favorite framed pieces. I've been fortunate in what I've been able to gather. Up now is a page from my favorite childhood Hulk comic (227), Daredevil #23 and Amazing Spidey #169...

160246.jpg.e89e38794926ba24bac710388fd49f17.jpg

160247.jpg.7c68c4041ddef8a72b0219670c36b113.jpg

160248.jpg.85c6920d6dba2744c3bc146d8f1599b7.jpg

I saw my first framed piece of comic art with a double matting and this has been my automatic go-to as far as prized pieces. The extra, character-themed color makes the pieces pop and adds to the fun of the display. That said, I bought a bunch of frames from Frame-It-Again-Sam some years back and use these to display as well.

This piece was acquired last year, after Lee reached out to me, knowing my years long interest in buying it from him. He's a good man and a good artist. This piece, from Fall of the Kingpin, hangs in my counseling office (along with the 3 posted above). The theme of forgiveness is a powerful one and the image that Lee created to drive this point home is perfect for many of the clients that I see.

160249.jpg.b9ecfe4cfbc8093832dcf5bd6632522b.jpg

possily a dumb question that's been answered before, but does anyone recommend any cheap frames from Amazon? I'm assuming I just need something 11"x17"?

For cheap archive friendly frames I really like the ones from bags unlimited

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-200-frames.aspx

thanks, much appreciated! those do look nice.

any other recs, anyone?

For an alternative, check out my old post on our cheap, modular framing setup...

My wife and I finally got some pieces up on the wall in the office/den.

The plan was to keep this cheap. (After all, we'd rather spend the money on more art!) Also, we wanted frames that were easily opened so we could rotate new acquisitions up onto the wall.

We found these guys online-

http://www.wholesaleposterframes.com

10 Poster Frame

• Profile: D

• Color: Satin Black

• Cover: UV Clear Lens Cover

• Backing: Acid Free Foamcore

• Size: 13 x 19

We also looked at the Bags Unlimited 13x19 package which was very close in price and features-

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-200-frames.aspx

We added a piece of Gerber mylar just behind the poly that came with the frames. Then we floated each page in mylar stick-on corners on a second piece or Gerber mylar.

Lineco Mylar corners-

http://www.dickblick.com/products/lineco-archival-mounting-corners/

Gerber Item 1422L-

http://www.egerber.com/category.asp?CategoryID=450&SubcategoryID=560

Floating was necessary for the quick swap. Trying to mat each page would have been problematic with all of the subtle variations in size, cut edges, etc. And we went with 13x19 in case we want to swap in color convention prints at some point.

We cut half-inch strips of archival foamcore to create a thin spacer all around the edges. This goes between the two pieces of mylar, keeping the sandwich from pressing against the art.

The glare is a bit more than I would like, but I feel like we have decent UV protection as a trade-off. Also, we don't plan on leaving a set of pages up for too long.

The assembly was really easy. The only labor intensive steps were cutting the Gerber mylar to 13x19 sheets (at the local Kinkos paper cutter) and then cutting the 1/2" foamcore strips. Cutting the strips was a definite pain. You have to go slow and use a very sharp utility knife down a straight edge -- 10 frames x 4 sides = 40 strips!

Up first- 3 Bagley Ultimate Spider-Man pages, 2 Tony Daniel Flash pages (since we are digging the new show!), and our 5 Breyfogle Batman pages (trying to show a bit of solidarity for Norm's recent health challenges)

Overall, I am enjoying the artwork up on the walls more than sitting in portfolios. I wish we had put the time in to do this sooner!

frames%202015%201%20Custom.jpg

frames%202015%202%20Custom.jpg

frames%202015%203%20Custom.jpg

frames%202015%204%20Custom.jpg

frames%202015%205%20Custom.jpg

I don't think there are too many Valiant art collectors in here, but I just got back this Book of Death: The Fall of Ninjak #1 watercolor cover by Das Pastoras from the framer, and I thought it looks pretty nice.

6b2d31e9-3f9a-4520-aa15-57a4a23570b9_zps13s6wbia.jpg

Mike

Well, it took a while, but I finally got my Jerry Bingham Millennium cross-over covers framed up. When they went to printing, some of the covers were slightly resized, so the interlocking trees and branches didn't quite line up, but here you see them in all their glory.

The paper is actually really white, but the original overlay is starting to yellow...I opted to leave it as is since I bought these off the newsstand and seeing the complete package is what brings me back.

IMG_2182_zpsw95l2sqb.jpg

Well, it took a while, but I finally got my Jerry Bingham Millennium cross-over covers framed up. When they went to printing, some of the covers were slightly resized, so the interlocking trees and branches didn't quite line up, but here you see them in all their glory.

The paper is actually really white, but the original overlay is starting to yellow...I opted to leave it as is since I bought these off the newsstand and seeing the complete package is what brings me back.

IMG_2182_zpsw95l2sqb.jpg

Slow! (worship)

IMG_2182_zpsw95l2sqb.jpg

WOW!