• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

Thanks guys and congrats to changer!

Well if anyone wants a Preacher page you can get one for the small sum of $8999.99 on Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREACHER-1-ORIGINAL-ART-PAGE-STEVE-DILLON-JESSE-CUSTER-TULIP-CASSIDY-1ST-SOK-/151308633158?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I love these listings. Do they ever really pan out for the crazy price they ask for?

When that first showed up, the BIN was $10K. It's been up on eBay for years, and as far as I can tell, no one's been willing to go anywhere near that price. But I wouldn't be surprised if it moved in the next 12 months; the seller will get offers and unless he absolutely won't budge, or raises the price, should be able to work something out with someone.

The best/worst part is that this page was originally sold on eBay back in 2008 or so. Also as a BIN. For $100. :cry:

Thanks guys and congrats to changer!

Well if anyone wants a Preacher page you can get one for the small sum of $8999.99 on Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREACHER-1-ORIGINAL-ART-PAGE-STEVE-DILLON-JESSE-CUSTER-TULIP-CASSIDY-1ST-SOK-/151308633158?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I love these listings. Do they ever really pan out for the crazy price they ask for?

When that first showed up, the BIN was $10K. It's been up on eBay for years, and as far as I can tell, no one's been willing to go anywhere near that price. But I wouldn't be surprised if it moved in the next 12 months; the seller will get offers and unless he absolutely won't budge, or raises the price, should be able to work something out with someone.

The best/worst part is that this page was originally sold on eBay back in 2008 or so. Also as a BIN. For $100. :cry:

$100? Man o man how times have changed. I had no idea it was up on Ebay for years. I absolutely loved the comic when it was out but never got bit for an original page yet. That may change...wonder if he will sell it for $8999.98?

Yeah, I go back and forth on that one. It's certainly not a killer example from #1, but it does have all three lead characters (how many pages in #1 have all 3? Can't be THAT many.).

The composition is weak and the bottom panels are just set-up. It's one of those pages that I WANT to like because of its importance, but it's just...meh.

I'm sure I'll regret not tire-kicking when it inevitably disappears.

Yeah, I go back and forth on that one. It's certainly not a killer example from #1, but it does have all three lead characters (how many pages in #1 have all 3? Can't be THAT many.).

The composition is weak and the bottom panels are just set-up. It's one of those pages that I WANT to like because of its importance, but it's just...meh.

I'm sure I'll regret not tire-kicking when it inevitably disappears.

I agree. The page is nice with the 3 leads, yet the bottom half has no substance but the setup as you said so it doesn't scream "own me" to me either.

The problem now is if you keep tire-kicking at what point does the owner not bother with you anymore. Or worse, they feel with the rise in interest with the upcoming show that the page is worth close to that price. :insane:

It was a steal back in 2008. I must have shed a few tears at the missed opportunity

The seller had two other pages, both also $100 BIN. IIRC, at least one of them was another #1 page.

:cry:

It's likely this seller got all three. I didn't know until someone showed me after the fact and asked "were these good deals?"

It was a steal back in 2008. I must have shed a few tears at the missed opportunity

The seller had two other pages, both also $100 BIN. IIRC, at least one of them was another #1 page.

It's likely this seller got all three. I didn't know until someone showed me after the fact and asked "were these good deals?"

I think all art dealers should have a special one day only "2008 prices" sale.

..... aaaaand that one looks like an "A-Level Preacher Page" to me. What should we update the price range to?

I don't want to let out exactly what I paid for this page but suffice it to say that if this is an "A-Level" page (and I sure think it is) then your bracket in the first page can stay the same as the final price falls with in that.

Not sure how I ended up so luck other than just being in the right place at the exact right time.

So thanks to all of you bums (I mean fellow friends and collectors really I do :grin: ) I had to go out and get myself a Preacher page. Not sure it's an A page, but it works for me. Plus who doesn't want a page with Arseface in it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1304124&GSub=135126

Also a fun tidbit. It has $75 written in pencil on the back of the page. Not even close to what I paid for it. Wish I knew I was going to get into this hobby 20 years ago and tell the younger me to save those pennies more.

Great page, congrats!!

I talked to Scott Dunbier recently. He was the dealer who sold all the early PREACHER pages (the first 30 or so issues?). The most expensive ones were $90. I also have pages that still have the original price in pencil. Incredibly cheap in retrospect, but in fairness, I wouldn't have guessed these pages would have shot up so much in value, either. Kirby, yes. Ditko, yes. Dillon PREACHER? Yeah right!