• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Canuck Collecting Thread
1 1

46 posts in this topic

Here's where I get my numbers from

Reborn #3

The unofficial yet definitive Captain Canuck comicography says : "No French editions were printed. These issues were not distributed to Newsstand market. According to Richard Comely, 7700 copies were given away and probably not saved by collectors, 300 copies were distributed to the direct comic book market and that less than 50 copies still exist."

http://www.captaincanuck.net/original.html

But Doug Sulipa says:

"#3 (1996; ENGLISH Edition; Print Run of only 8,000 Copies; NOT distributed to Newsstand market. Richard Comely has confirmed that only 8000 copies were Originally Printed; About 4000 Copies went to the Newspapers that carried the Comic Strips, mostly used as PROMOTIONAL GIVEAWAYS, Most went to NON-Collectors and are long thrown out and/or Destroyed; Only about 900 copies sold to the Direct Market. About 3000 Copies were Sold at CONS and Used in SCHOOL WORKSHOPS including 800 made into Bagged Sets; Likely only 10% of the Original Print Run still Exists; It is Estimated that Less than 1000 Copies Still Exist Today; Now VERY SCARCE & RARELY seen for sale in the Collectors Marketplace; Oddity: Interior is collection of Comic Strips #128 thru #344 meant for publication in Daily Newspapers; >>> CGC; NM-, 9.2 = $299.00); >>> Mid-Grade copies #3 is RARE an usually sells for $100.00 to $200.00+ on eBay"

http://www.dougcomicworld.com/INVENTORY-CaptainCanuckRelatedItemsSite.html

So one site is saying 50, the other is saying less than 1000.

Considering the prices he quotes are ones that HE pays - his numbers and Speculation on Captain Canuck is not to be trusted. :(

Hey there guys ...

I am the owner of www.captaincanuck.org, The Captain Canuck Comicography.

First let me say that I am VERY welcoming of any updates I can put on the site. So if you find any issues, problems or discrepancies please let me know.

During a conversation with Richard Comely he himself said "... 7700 copies were given away and probably not saved by collectors, 300 copies were distributed to the direct comic book market and that less than 50 copies still exist." This is Richard's own speculation based on his experience with the number of Canuck collectors he has touched base with. Could more than 50 exist? Absolutely. And if you look at dollar sales the self published CC #15 with a confirmed print run of only 150 usually outsells CC Reborn #3, as it should.

One item I love to watch is CC Reborn #2. Online guides list it at about $3. Yet most collectors know this book is hard to find.

I will be at the Gotham Central party so if anyone here is going I'd love to touch base and chat further. Love the Captain.

- Marty

I scored this awesome photo earlier in the week. It just came in yesterday. It's a real beauty. Apparently from around the time of the Reborn series, it was given out to the press for them to run with any Canuck related stories. I got it from a fellow in Timmins, Ontario.

qntfs3.jpg

I had a nice conversation with Comely about how many copies are available of the Reborn #3.

I was unaware that he sold many copies directly to stores and even sent bundles to newspapers in certain cities - all numbers and sales previously ignored by the claim of books going to the direct market and additional copies being pulped.

Ask Comely if he thinks there are only 50 copies out there and he'll tell you that number is way too low.

:)

Yeah, of the 8000 that were printed, a lot of those were given out and *assumed* destroyed, right? Is it a rare book? Yes. But I don't think it's thaaaat rare. I know a guy with two, I have one, there's one on eBay right now. If there were only 50 left in existence it would be unlikely that I could just point out four copies easily, you know? There are probably 1000 copies out there, maybe more. The thing is that it's a sought after book, so once people get one they don't sell it.

Now that those two guys have it, I don't think there's anybody else looking for it.

Just kidding...

IIRC, I only have #0, and I'm moderately interested in Captain Canuck. There are just too many things to chase out there. Even though I like Captain Canuck, it never seems to be top of the acquisition list.

I suspect that most of the Captain Canuck market is somewhat like that... passive, rather than active interest.

Yes, I would 100% agree with you. I am actively out there looking. If I had the money to drop I could buy the remaining two rare books 4B and 15 that I need to complete my collection. There has been a reborn 3 on ebay for a long time at around $125CDN so nobody wants to pay that much for the book.

I wish there were a lot more interest in Canuck collecting from the general public. The character has been around for 40 years and is on his fourth series now. Maybe with the success of the new series it will start creating that demand for the older issues and then these rarer ones as well. It will be a very organic rise if it happens, unlike the movie hype rise that seems to hit every other franchise.

the fact that there isn't a whole lot of interest in Canuck didn't stop me from buying my second 9.8 slab of ebay last night. I want one to keep and one to sell if the value ever goes up significantly, just in case. It was a good deal $105US, cheap shipping. The BIN's for the book are usually at $200US. No, nobody is buying them at the BIN price yet, but if they do I have made a good amount of cash.