• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Here's some Matt Baker art from the last three pages of Lassie #21 (March 1955).

One of the things I enjoy about a lot of the Dell comics is when the story concludes on the back cover.

I always look forward to seeing the artwork in three different formats on cosecutive pages. Standard comic page (color), glossy page (black and white) and glossy page (color).

Lassie21lastpageBaker_zps302930c4.jpg

Lassie21insidebackcoverBaker_zps789d407e.jpg

Lassie21outsidebackcoverBaker_zpsc0a0fc2a.jpg

Whoa! Time for a :bump:

Walked into the LCS this weekend with the missus looking for Pokemon cards for my son and walked out with this not long after it had been up on the wall. Low grade but with decent eye appeal; that’s where my budget is at and it’s not a book I come across often in my travels. Plus, it was on sale to boot. My first Atom Age Cap! I’m pretty stoked.

Cap78.jpg

Whoa! Time for a :bump:

Walked into the LCS this weekend with the missus looking for Pokemon cards for my son and walked out with this not long after it had been up on the wall. Low grade but with decent eye appeal; that’s where my budget is at and it’s not a book I come across often in my travels. Plus, it was on sale to boot. My first Atom Age Cap! I’m pretty stoked.

Cap78.jpg

:applause:

It's been more than one year since this got bumped. It's high time.

Though a little early for the thread, I read this Supersnipe last night.

Supersnipe is great in that you really feel you are reading a magazine dedicated to the main hero since not only do you get a typical fairly long Supersnipe story but Supersnipe also appears in the Ulysses Q. Wacky story (also by Ed Gruskin & George Marcoux) since Wacky is Supersnipe's friend but he is also mentioned in passing in the Wing Woo Woo story (also by the same writer / penciller duo). And then, even the Text story, One page filler and PSA feature our main heroes.

Supersnipe%20June%201944_zpswiuzno0u.jpg

Marcoux tends to like larger panels than small one and never hesitates to break the grid for his purpose (one might argue that he breaks the grid too often in a hap-hazzard manner and readability is hindered but nevertheless) -

Supersnipe%20June%201944%20-%20Page_zpstplbfcwa.jpg

The Huck Finn stories are always whimsy though they do show their age ...

Supersnipe%20June%201944%20Huck_zpseuyvxrec.jpg

And, recently I linked in BZ's thread to a pamphlet from the State of Oregon about the waste paper brigades. Here's the PSA from Supersnipe about organizing commandos. This is very appropriate from this one-staple 3(?) tipped in pages book -

Supersnipe%20June%201944%20-%20Paper%20Drive%20PSA_zpsjcde3dj9.jpg

IIRC, it was Damonwad who posted a really great looking copy of a G.I. Joe issue recently. That's a neat run with great painted covers, DeCarlo's Yardbirds feature and some funny G.I. humor stories (despite the cover themes, the stories inside are typically lighter fare). I've found my stack and I'll scan them as time permits. I'll go down in the run.

Issue # 38 is the last pre-code issue - April 1955 - [Note: the moiré caught by the scan below is not present on the book itself. Scanners be damned.] This is one of the most serious looking Joe face in the run of covers.

GI%20Joe%2038_zpssvmsotzo.jpg

Thanks for sharing the details of the interior (thumbs u

It's been more than one year since this got bumped. It's high time.

Though a little early for the thread, I read this Supersnipe last night.

Supersnipe is great in that you really feel you are reading a magazine dedicated to the main hero since not only do you get a typical fairly long Supersnipe story but Supersnipe also appears in the Ulysses Q. Wacky story (also by Ed Gruskin & George Marcoux) since Wacky is Supersnipe's friend but he is also mentioned in passing in the Wing Woo Woo story (also by the same writer / penciller duo). And then, even the Text story, One page filler and PSA feature our main heroes.

Supersnipe%20June%201944_zpswiuzno0u.jpg

Marcoux tends to like larger panels than small one and never hesitates to break the grid for his purpose (one might argue that he breaks the grid too often in a hap-hazzard manner and readability is hindered but nevertheless) -

The Huck Finn stories are always whimsy though they do show their age ...