• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are Comic Collectors?
4 4

How old are you?   

33 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

602 posts in this topic

The big Five-Oh for me.

I started when I was about nine and stopped about 15 years ago. About 3 years ago my wife said I needed to stop paying for storage, I.e. Get rid of my books. I got such a lowball offer for my collection that I told her I'm keeping it and will sell at least enough each month to cover the rent and miscellaneous expenses... And sneak in an original art purchase for my Man Cave.

I started reading digital copies during my train commute and it has brought back my youth.

James

I'm 34. I would say I first got into comics when the wolverine series came out, had them for a while, sold them and when a local store moved into a location near me around 1994, bought some comics again, though when the store closed in 97, I didn't buy another comic for many years, about 10 in fact. Then I bought stuff for about a year, stopped and another store opened up in 2009 and I began buying things again but when it closed 2 years later stopped again.

In late2013 I decided to get into again, bought some things and even purchased my first graded books, though that only lasted about 6 months because by the summer of 2014 I was out again.

On a whim I saw a trade that looked pretty cool and got it, and decided to buy the series the trade is for and now only get that book.

It has been a weird ride.

I'm 25. I got into comics when I was 8 or 9 with the kids' magazine, Spider-Man Magazine. I begged my parents to buy a subscription for me, but they didn't budge, so I tried to forge a check from their checkbook. That didn't work-- and my mom hid her checkbook pretty well after that ;)

Growing up, I read most of my comics through trades at the library. I never did get to buy a comic book, except for the odd Archie every now and then, until I started working at the box office in college, which is when I started buying digital comics with Manhattan Projects #1. Then I started buying physical comics with the #0s in the New 52, got my first slab with a Lee-signed Daredevil #2 in 2013, and the rest is (a very short) history.

I'll get off your lawns now!

36 I used to collect from the age of about 10 to 15. Then I started realizing comic book collecting would be a hindrance to my social standing in school lol. Moved on with life, did my time in the air force, came back home and found my dad had kept all my books.

A few years ago when my wife was pregnant, I thought if we had a boy, I could give him my books. Turned out we had a girl and I'm back into comics again. Strictly 80s stuff and older I have no interest in the new stuff.

I'm 32 and used to collect in the early to mid 90's and then stopped around Heroes Reborn. Around 99 a lot of local comic stores started closing and I would stop it and pick up some books on the cheap.Around 2001 the Ultimate Marvel lines and Wolverine Origin really got me back into reading and collecting.

35. Started reading and collecting since I was 10. Stopped here and there but always returned. McFarlane and Larsen Spiderman and Jim Lee Xmen is what I grew up with.

Today I am narrowing down my collection to a small amount of key golden and silver age books.

Still quite a bit into art and statues. :)

51. Started collecting comics before I was able to read because I loved the pictures. My grandfather would never let my mother have comics when she was growing up, so she always said that it wasn't going to be that way for me.

I'm 32, i was introduced to comics in 7th grade, while attending Ilima Intermediate on the island of Oahu. I was a loner who would lurk in the library, where i met my best friend at the time, Ryan Mossman. He let me borrow a few comics and a wizard and ive been hooked ever since.

Edited by Mailman_Comics