• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

So you're a victim?

Help! I'm bein' repressed!

Hey, did you see that WTB request over in Modern? Maybe you can help them out.

:hi:

I generally stay out of the Modern forum. Unless you mean the Miracleman post in Copper.

So you're a victim?

Help! I'm bein' repressed!

Hey, did you see that WTB request over in Modern? Maybe you can help them out.

:hi:

I generally stay out of the Modern forum. Unless you mean the Miracleman post in Copper.

Yes, that is correct. I responded there after I found it.

Louise and I spent much of SDCC 2011 chatting about stuff while you ran around the floor buying books. I don't think she had a problem with me being chatty. If she did, I certainly never heard about it.

;)

When less is more, and conciseness isn't a problem, I'm pretty sure I handle that well, and I'm pretty sure my posting record is ample proof of that. But people focus on the "verbose" posts, and ignore the "concise" posts. Not a complaint, just pointing out the inconsistency of human nature.

However, less can be (and often is) less.

I say what I feel must be said, both to make the point AND to forestall possible objections/misunderstandings/misperceptions. Why is legalese so long? Because people WILL find a way to misconstrue/misunderstand/misrepresent, and there needs to be language to cover as many angles as possible.

One thing is speaking in person, one thing is writing on the internet. I would not assume that "people over 35" know how to discern: age has little to do with it, and besides you’ll find 80 year olds that are worse than some 15 year olds. :shrug:

I was not implying at all that you should change the way you communicate: but it’s not true at all that "less is less".

You will never "forestall" objections/misunderstandings/misperceptions just by "forethinking": if one is not much willing to reason and takes you "the wrong way" – that’s why I said that how your writing style "comes across" could be problematic, but it might just be me…

I know for sure that right now, in many cases, I feel put off by the length of posts, especially if the topic is not so delicate to spend so much time on it.

One thing is speaking in person, one thing is writing on the internet.

That was an anecdote, to ROY, about a situation involving us personally. It's not relevant to the discussion you and I are having.

I would not assume that "people over 35" know how to discern: age has little to do with it, and besides youll find 80 year olds that are worse than some 15 year olds. :shrug:

I didn't say anything even remotely like that. You've completely misred what I said. My comment had not a single thing to do with discernment of any kind relative to one's age. You've completely misred what I said. Read it again.

You totally misred/misinterpreted that particular comment, and you really wonder why people feel the need to "over"explain themselves..? Really...?

:shrug:

I was not implying at all that you should change the way you communicate:

No, you didn't imply it, true. You pretty well stated it.

:popcorn:

but its not true at all that "less is less".

It's true on a fairly regular basis. Less is FREQUENTLY less, especially when one does not clearly communicate what they are trying to say. I'm not even sure how you can make this statement.

You will never "forestall" objections/misunderstandings/misperceptions just by "forethinking": if one is not much willing to reason and takes you "the wrong way" thats why I said that how your writing style "comes across" could be problematic, but it might just be me

Again, that's simply not true, and I'm not the least concerned with the one who is not willing to reason. That is not, and never has been, my concern. My concern is for the other people reading the discussion, and making sure that what I have to say is understandable. It's my job to communicate clearly and effectively. It's not my job to make people understand who don't want to understand.

I know for sure that right now, in many cases, I feel put off by the length of posts, especially if the topic is not so delicate to spend so much time on it.

Again...that isn't my problem or responsibility, nor am I going to alter anything because of it. This is a tempest in a teapot. We're talking about posts that average, maybe, the length of a short internet article, and you think that's too taxing for people to have to read...? I say they ought to not be so lazy.

If I see a post that I think is too long, and not worth reading, you know what I do? I don't read it. I don't "feel put off" about it, and I certainly don't make an issue about it. I just move on to something that interests me.

That's what everyone, including you, should do. The concern...(?)...is appreciated, but really, truly, not necessary.

Well technically a dealer is going to offer 25 - 30% below market price right?

If you were to take the off the ebay and paypal fees of selling it yourself... the difference is kinda minimal.

Back in the day (pre-internet), one was lucky to get 50% market value on a hot book.