• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,908 posts in this topic

Here's one I picked up at Comic-Con International way back in the summer of 1998. Submitted it to CGC about 4 or 5 years ago (No such animal as CGC in 1998) and it's still the single highest--graded copy. Actually, I had sold the book through Heritage over a year ago but then the buyer realized he didn't have the funds. Good thing 'cause I told the wife it was the one book I regretted selling.

HouseofMystery202OaklandCopy.jpg

I have that issue. Nowhere near that condition though. Beautiful book! I always love the artwork of the horror comics from the 70`s, the detail is outstanding. And many times they mixed in the florescent colors which just made them POP!

Nice books.

Love the Unexpected 121. It's a beast to find in 9.0+ and above.

Great HOS #107 as well. Wrightson cover's are terrific.

:applause:(thumbs u:headbang:

Howdy, partner. Hope everyone is doing great.

Hey Sterling! Great to see you about!

Nice books.

Love the Unexpected 121. It's a beast to find in 9.0+ and above.

Great HOS #107 as well. Wrightson cover's are terrific.

:applause:(thumbs u:headbang:

Howdy, partner. Hope everyone is doing great.

Hey Sterling! Great to see you about!

+1 Hope you're all good Sterling, and that goes for everyone else around here too!

Some recent pick-ups, sorry, it`s been a while since I posted.

Just had to have the beautiful Wrightson, so hard to find in this

condition. Cain & Abel

2hrnafp.jpg

I've been trying to get my hands on a high-grade copy of CoC #8 forever, I just LOVE that cover :cloud9: Nice pick-ups!

An ice cream cone from the House of Secrets. :eek:

House%20of%20Secrets%20123%20tag_zpsralxzlzu.jpg

House%20of%20Secrets%20123_zpsdtl8ngp9.jpg

The only Frank Robbins cover I like! (thumbs u

I was going to say the same thing.

(With that said, he actually did some crime stuff in the 50s that worked pretty well)

Well I'm going to post a few slabs as I got a old CCD scanner again after unwittingly donating my old Hp. In 2005 at WonderCon SFI for some reason didn't purchase the raw Northland of this book when I had the chance and it has never surfaced again.

The Savannah eluded me in 2013, 800ish was not enough. I was the under bidder at Comic Connect last year for the Mood Dog, Dr. Fate copy. Finally just cruising the boards a month or so ago the winner of the Mood Dog book lists it in the FS forum. We come to a deal and poof I finally have a HG copy. People have discussed that this book is a 9.4. I could actually see that, the corners are razors and the ink roller smudges shouldnt keep it out of 9.4, or else there wouldnt be any 9.4 Amazing Adventures 11s lol There are a couple spine ticks, but I've seen Hulk 181s in 9.4 slabs where you could use the spines as a measuring stick. I'm happy with it as is, nicely centered and white pages :cloud9:

HOM174CGC92.jpeg

Edited by jbud73

Well I'm going to post a few slabs as I got a old CCD scanner again after unwittingly donating my old Hp. In 2005 at WonderCon SFI for some reason didn't purchase the raw Northland of this book when I had the chance and it has never surfaced again.

The Savannah eluded me in 2013, 800ish was not enough. I was the under bidder at Comic Connect last year for the Mood Dog, Dr. Fate copy. Finally just cruising the boards a month or so ago the winner of the Mood Dog book lists it in the FS forum. We come to a deal and poof I finally have a HG copy. People have discussed that this book is a 9.4. I could actually see that, the corners are razors and the ink roller smudges shouldnt keep it out of 9.4, or else there wouldnt be any 9.4 Amazing Adventures 11s lol There are a couple spine ticks, but I've seen Hulk 181s in 9.4 slabs where you could use the spines as a measuring stick. I'm happy with it as is, nicely centered and white pages :cloud9:

HOM174CGC92.jpeg

:applause: I remember that sales thread and nearly pulled the trigger. Congratulations, that is a stunner.

Comic collectors are a crazy quirky bunch, and meticulously :censored:

One of my quirks is to have a double cover in every run of the titles I collect. This is my HOM DC, one of the sad parts about being in a slab (I bought it slabbed as I would never slab a double cover raw in my collection) is that the nuance of seeing both covers attached is gone. :( may crack this out one day, until then here it is. Seems my new scanner still refracts light in the slab a bit on some slabs. Sigh :tonofbricks:

HOM180CGC92-Double.jpeg

The Oakland pedigree was distinct for me in that it has a lot of HG House of Mystery books under 200, it has a lot above 200 too but we know the 174-200 run can be a tad tricky, heavy dark inks and spines are the flavor of many of those books. Here is the 187.

HOM187Oakland.jpg

It just takes time, patience is often the key and realizing that another one will come around or sometimes the same one will. This was the HOM 196 Oakland, could have had this one early on from Vinny, but the asks for the Oaks were a bit heavy, this was pre CGC and hey I was in my 20s, gas money was a real priority. Nabbed it at auction last year, gas money isn't quite in the same priority set, but I paid more than Vinny was asking 20 years ago lol:/

HOM196CGC92Oakland.jpeg

HOM174CGC92.jpeg

:applause: I remember that sales thread and nearly pulled the trigger. Congratulations, that is a stunner.

Beauty!! :o(worship)