• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Showcase Collecting Thread
5 5

944 posts in this topic

That's one of the annoying aspects of the registry, that completeness of a set is not given any credit, only how much a person is willing to spend on a given copy of a book. Something should be said for the effort that goes into building an almost impossible to complete set like Showcase. Kudos to you Chris! I am honored you named your 1-64 set in, well, my honor. But seriously you deserve all the credit!

That's absolutely true.

Congratulations to Chris and the few others who completed the run.

I think about you of course Boba with your 1-64 set, that was a great one !

Thanks! That was a fun set to assemble and quite challenging. Some of my books were in the last clink auction in fact, the 55 6.0 white posted earlier and maybe others. That 6.0 was never pressed by the way and I think there may be improvable defects - but it's sweet just as it is too. I love having books with "potential" as opposed to marginal books.

Hey what's up with Showcase 22 - it seems to have really dropped off the radar here.

Also, I want to tip my hat to the person who beat me on the Pacific Coast copy 9.6 of Showcase 55 on clink. It finished at $4200. I really wanted that one. Maybe the nice price will pull out some other copies to try my luck again. :wishluck:

Showcase14-1.jpg

Mmmmm! Mr. Element's intro!

element11.jpg

:cool:

Mr. Element seemed very mysterious to me as a kid. I'd seen his picture gracing the cover of the Flash Annual that was given the glorious full page house ad treatment by DC in the summer of 1963 but I was unable to find that Annual on any newstand.

Aug63ad1_zps754b96ec.jpg

He didn't make a reappearance until the September 1964 issue of the Flash which was more than six years after his first appearance.

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat

Thanks Chris! The Cream pages bug me a little, but this book was slabbed 2 months into CGCs existence, and I just couldn't pass on the price.

That's still a beauty! I loved Heath's work on the Sea Devils.

PQ is as mysterious as numerical grading - tough to get a true consensus. I once had a Major Key resubbed and the PQ jumped two spots from Cr/ow to ow/white - go figure... ???