• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,805 posts in this topic

This reinforces everyone's understanding that no Marvel or DC comic from the early 90s is difficult to find.

Unless you're looking for a barcode on one of those NM #98s.. lol

What would you say if I told you they were all Mark Jewelers' copies? :devil:

This reinforces everyone's understanding that no Marvel or DC comic from the early 90s is difficult to find.

I guess I'd say that even Mark Jeweler's copies must be easier to find than newsstand. :grin:

I guess I'd say that even Mark Jeweler's copies must be easier to find than newsstand. :grin:

Honestly, I doubt it here on the East Coast but I have not yet checked my issue.

I went to a garage sale today, but first I went to my LCS. The owner (a super nice guy) let me go into an area in the back that is usually chained off (I told him I was looking for some 90s Bat books for some custom binds). He showed me to two long boxes and told me $1 per book.

IMG_5287_zpssiujz2ox.jpg

IMG_5288_zpscmjlhn1s.jpg

I found a few books I needed especially the pre-Knightfall Banes.

I stopped at a garage sale on the way home that had a couple of long boxes and action figures on a table. $1 per book. I grabbed a few for my kids and this guy.

IMG_5290_zpszs6u09tk.jpg

Alright, how about a dumb question from an old GA guy? I know what Mark Jewelers copies are but what makes them special and why will people pay more for them?

This is an honest question as I don't dabble in "new" comics much...

Alright, how about a dumb question from an old GA guy? I know what Mark Jewelers copies are but what makes them special and why will people pay more for them?

Copper and moderns are much more common( and probably not much of a premium) - but earlier versions -bronze and silver- are rarer. They are kind of like the price variants - no real difference between the variant and standard other than somethings simple - but since there is a difference there are people specifically collecting them so there can be a premium. They are not in the same league as the price variants as far as increased value - but for non key books - you can get close to guide for them. Keys - maybe 10-25% above non insert.

CGC places a notation on the slab - but does not list them seperately in census so it is hard to track- but some - especially early versions - can be pretty rare. I have several early Archie's that are very uncommon (cuz really - what tough military member in the early 70s would buy and save Archie , lol) - and one of the 2 copies of iron man 55 that have been known to exist (on the boards - there are more out there for sure)

Copper and moderns are much more common( and probably not much of a premium) - but earlier versions -bronze and silver- are rarer. They are kind of like the price variants - no real difference between the variant and standard other than somethings simple - but since there is a difference there are people specifically collecting them so there can be a premium. They are not in the same league as the price variants as far as increased value - but for non key books - you can get close to guide for them. Keys - maybe 10-25% above non insert.

CGC places a notation on the slab - but does not list them seperately in census so it is hard to track- but some - especially early versions - can be pretty rare. I have several early Archie's that are very uncommon (cuz really - what tough military member in the early 70s would buy and save Archie , lol) - and one of the 2 copies of iron man 55 that have been known to exist (on the boards - there are more out there for sure)

Many thanks! I have heard the term but didn't know why.

The bad thing about the Mark Jewelers variants, is that the insert is easy to remove from one book, and insert into another. So...

Are they held in by the staples? And are they always in the middle of the book?

The bad thing about the Mark Jewelers variants, is that the insert is easy to remove from one book, and insert into another. So...

Are they held in by the staples? And are they always in the middle of the book?

Yes and yes.

Just remember, they only ever appear in newsstand copies of the comic. Never direct editions.

Oh, and I thought theres a Mark Jeweler movie coming or something...

a "mark jewlers" army flick....

:cloud9:

I still have many from the collection I found - some of the cooler ones were the army books. Armed forces inserts- in army books.......

Went back to Mcays bookstore today....

Everything in the picture cost a dime apiece, except for the WD variant and the SS 1 ($2.50 and $1.75 respectively). Got out of there spending only $10.75 in store credit....which was actually free since I traded in about 30 books I found in a recycling bin.

lol

Don't know what the hell I am going to do with them all, but wasn't going to leave them there!

3_zpsrbsqfvnl.jpg

2_zps2dbyxcke.jpg

1_zpsljdxkldc.jpg