• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

No intent to buy. Just asked whether the book got a pass because it is an AF 15.

It shouldn't have and I don't think it did. In my experience, CGC has lately tended to be pretty hard on tanning, much less hard on dust shadows. Without having bought the grader's notes, I would guess they considered this a dust shadow and, so, failed to hammer it.

I agree with you, though, that it's off-putting and the type of flaw I tend to avoid with books in my ballpark. Of course, this book is in a different ballpark -- actually, more like a different sport altogether. :D

Yep, but the spine has it as well. Yes, another sport altogether. Just doesn't justify the gift and it makes me wonder ...

edit: whether it is the submission or the submitter

Edited by KPR Comics

No intent to buy. Just asked whether the book got a pass because it is an AF 15.

It shouldn't have and I don't think it did. In my experience, CGC has lately tended to be pretty hard on tanning, much less hard on dust shadows. Without having bought the grader's notes, I would guess they considered this a dust shadow and, so, failed to hammer it.

I agree with you, though, that it's off-putting and the type of flaw I tend to avoid with books in my ballpark. Of course, this book is in a different ballpark -- actually, more like a different sport altogether. :D

+1

At worst it's a dust shadow.

"NM" is not a perfect book, and this is a solid NM copy.

-J.

+1

-J.

Yeah, I agree. I have no problem with it being graded 9.4.

It's also a scan. The book may look better (or worse) in person.

Oh yeah. Anyone who is seriously bidding on this one should go to Dallas to examine it closely. I know I would.

Heritage just passed on my offer of 500k Dazzler #1s. Told them I could go as high as 600k, but that's nearly 1/3 of my Dazzler #1 stock, and I couldn't go any higher since I get nervous when I have that few in stock.

:sorry:

Some day, you are going to be sooo thankful they turned you down.

It's also a scan. The book may look better (or worse) in person.

Oh yeah. Anyone who is seriously bidding on this one should go to Dallas to examine it closely. I know I would.

Would like to see the inside of that cover

Heritage just passed on my offer of 500k Dazzler #1s. Told them I could go as high as 600k, but that's nearly 1/3 of my Dazzler #1 stock, and I couldn't go any higher since I get nervous when I have that few in stock.

:sorry:

Some day, you are going to be sooo thankful they turned you down.

Maybe you're right!

:whee:

+1

-J.

Yeah, I agree. I have no problem with it being graded 9.4.

I'm an architect. We refer to this as patina. Patina can be a subjective asset by enhancing (changing) the thing it is affecting in a positive manner...showing its age if you will while adding something...in this case the light sepia tone actually plays well with the colors of the cover.

Annoying for some and, perhaps, adding something for another...just throwing this out there...we don't all think alike hence the diversity of the collecting community... (thumbs u

Edited by trmoore54

Are people still posting their AF 15's?

If so, I own 3. A 6.5 I got from Greg Reece 2 years ago, a 2.5 and a 3.0. One of them is a UK, can't remember which. I can post pics if needed. All are appropriately graded IMO.

Sure. We all love to see people's AF 15s. :D

Interesting story about these extensively restored high-grade CBCS books. Long thread about them on the GA board.

Are you sure this one was done by the Meyers? (shrug)

This one doesn't seem to be as overly glossed as some of their other books. I guess there must be a couple of flaws here as most of their extensively restored books tend to achieve higher grades than this. hm

Pretty sure it's IGB Productions.

AF 15 9.4 will end under 425k.

Nope ! Metro has an open offer of $450k for a 9.4, so it will hit at least that.

I'm sticking with an easy half a milly. :ohnoez:

-J.

Does this mean we can use the old Overstreet methodology in determining current prices on our books when the 9.4 ends?

9.0 = 90% of the 9.4 price

8.0 = 80% of the 9.4 price

6.0 = 50% of the 9.4 price, etc...

We wish!! lol