• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

The last 6.0 was high 20s. Sc4 owns the hulk for #2

Hey Eric! :hi: What kinda chronic is that you're smoking in Canada? lol

Hulk is still #2 SA book behind AF #15! :headbang::P

Its not legal here...Yet. JT is working on that.

Market has spoken :sumo:

15ftbsz.jpg

Sales for SC4 much less often, but think we can both agree they are all higher ;)

lol All you need is a prescription for the glaucoma if you can't see that IH #1 smash SC4!. (thumbs u

How about for high grade copies of SC4? Though many don't come to market that often. hm

15ftbsz.jpg

Sales for SC4 much less often, but think we can both agree they are all higher ;)

lol All you need is a prescription for the glaucoma if you can't see that IH #1 smash SC4!. (thumbs u

How about for high grade copies of SC4? Though many don't come to market that often. hm

That's all he can do. Hulk smash :baiting:

Don't think there has been a public offering of a high grade SC4...

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=650475 (will be fun to watch)

15ftbsz.jpg

That's all he can do. Hulk smash :baiting:

Don't think there has been a public offering of a high grade SC4...

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=650475 (will be fun to watch)

lol Wrong answer! (tsk)

Yeah, that SC4 CGC 7.5 will be interesting. What do you predict it will go for? hm

By the way I like both, just Hulk little more. ;)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8901197&fpart=1

That's the book IIRC so I guess we see if its a 50k, 65, or 85k book.

I know you do. I prefer Hulk over the AF15 cause I like the chase rather than being able to click Bin on eBay.

I think it will do ~50K even with the DC movie hype machine. hm

I predict this one will do >$70K. (thumbs u That fugly IH #1 CGC 8.0 went for $64K last November and this is a much better copy. ;)

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=645911

:roflmao: There are a bunch of them out there. :insane:

Until someone sees fit to spend $320k+ on any copy of an SC 4, hulk 1 is the number 2 book.

-J.

I hear you on that one Jay. ;)

By the way, whatever happened to that SC4 CGC 9.6 with an asking price of $900K+ that was on CL last year? hm

I think that one would probably top $320+ in today's market. (thumbs u

Until someone sees fit to spend $320k+ on any copy of an SC 4, hulk 1 is the number 2 book.

-J.

So because an ultra high grade copy hasn't been put out to the public market its not number 2...seems like a terrible qualifier in terms of which book is number 2..

I remember about a decade ago, when I scoured the NYCC for a copy of SC4 and only found a few low grade copies at the show (that I could afford anyway). But every dealer seemed to have at least one copy of Hulk 1. The funny thing is way back when the 6 issue Hulk run was like the runt of the Marvel litter. My, have times changed!

I think bringing the character to life via computer animation has a lot to do with Hulk's new found fame. America loves things that explode and smash on the big screen. Hulk appeals to the primal desire to smash anything that gets in our way.

It will definitely be interesting to see how both characters evolve over the next few years, as Flash is only in its 1st year of broadcast, and is also going to appear in the Justice League movies. It could help the character achieve more widespread appeal and maybe even spawn higher auction prices on high grade copies.

But I do think Hulks appeal is here to stay for quite some time. Even I love the depiction of him in the Avengers movies. He made that last one.

-J.

So because an ultra high grade copy hasn't been put out to the public market its not number 2...seems like a terrible qualifier in terms of which book is number 2..

Anymore "terrible" than declaring it the "#2" book based solely on three or four sales in low to mid grade on GPA last year ? (shrug)

-J.

-J.

Anymore "terrible" than declaring it the "#2" book based solely on three or four sales in low to mid grade on GPA last year ? (shrug)

-J.

Ya I guess when a book outperforms the other book in all grades from 0.5 to 6.0 (to which only have sales) no claim can be made. Those are the only data points on GPA. I'm sure you can dig around in GSB and see some of the other sales that also indicate that this book has moved ahead of IH1.

Such as this one:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=78&Number=9126076&Searchpage=4&Main=399439&Words=showcase&topic=0&Search=true#Post9126076

Call me crazy but I don't think the seller took around 8000 (which is around where a IH1 is trending).

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=398049&Number=9088638#Post9088638

Another sale on the boards here. Do I think NS took 10k when his asking price is 13.5 not a chance.

Edited by iceman399

I remember about a decade ago, when I scoured the NYCC for a copy of SC4 and only found a few low grade copies at the show (that I could afford anyway). But every dealer seemed to have at least one copy of Hulk 1. The funny thing is way back when the 6 issue Hulk run was like the runt of the Marvel litter. My, have times changed!

I think bringing the character to life via computer animation has a lot to do with Hulk's new found fame. America loves things that explode and smash on the big screen. Hulk appeals to the primal desire to smash anything that gets in our way.

It will definitely be interesting to see how both characters evolve over the next few years, as Flash is only in its 1st year of broadcast, and is also going to appear in the Justice League movies. It could help the character achieve more widespread appeal and maybe even spawn higher auction prices on high grade copies.

But I do think Hulks appeal is here to stay for quite some time. Even I love the depiction of him in the Avengers movies. He made that last one.

+1

The Hulk is certainly far more ingrained in pop culture than the Flash. The new show is obviously doing a lot to help but it is airing on a third rate network. Crossing over to supergirl seems more designed to help that struggling show than the Flash. Hopefully people will follow him back to his own show on the CW.

I do wish they would use the same actor for the movies as the show. The different actor might throw some people off (especially if he sucks). We'll just have to wait and see on that.

Not saying showcase 4 won't ever be the "#2" book. But I do seem to notice a certain price resistance at some levels that I do not see with hulk 1. Hulk 1 has obviously cooled in some mid grades the last few months. But that is likely the calm before the storm. The more I see about the third Thor movie the more it looks like Planet Hulk.

-J.

sc4 is out selling Hulk 1 in all grades these days...so from a value perspective, sc4 has usurped hulk 1 of late (might not be permanent)...

and as scarce as hulk 1 is compared to marvel keys , it is down right "common" compared to sc 4 (so scarcity is one factor that has driven sc4 pricing per point beyond hulk 1)

+1

The Hulk is certainly far more ingrained in pop culture than the Flash.

:facepalm:

The new show is obviously doing a lot to help but it is airing on a third rate network. Crossing over to supergirl seems more designed to help that struggling show than the Flash. Hopefully people will follow him back to his own show on the CW.

I do wish they would use the same actor for the movies as the show. The different actor might throw some people off (especially if he sucks). We'll just have to wait and see on that.

Not saying showcase 4 won't ever be the "#2" book. But I do seem to notice a certain price resistance at some levels that I do not see with hulk 1.

Hulk 1 has obviously cooled in some mid grades the last few months. But that is likely the calm before the storm. The more I see about the third Thor movie the more it looks like Planet Hulk.

-J.

:applause: congrats on the consistency!!

+1

The Hulk is certainly far more ingrained in pop culture than the Flash.

The new show is obviously doing a lot to help but it is airing on a third rate network. Crossing over to supergirl seems more designed to help that struggling show than the Flash. Hopefully people will follow him back to his own show on the CW.

Not saying showcase 4 won't ever be the "#2" book. But I do seem to notice a certain price resistance at some levels that I do not see with hulk 1.

Hulk 1 has obviously cooled in some mid grades the last few months. But that is likely the calm before the storm. The more I see about the third Thor movie the more it looks like Planet Hulk.

-J.

:applause: congrats on the consistency!!

:roflmao:

sc4 is out selling Hulk 1 in all grades these days...so from a value perspective, sc4 has usurped hulk 1 of late (might not be permanent)...

and as scarce as hulk 1 is compared to marvel keys , it is down right "common" compared to sc 4 (so scarcity is one factor that has driven sc4 pricing per point beyond hulk 1)

I agree with this also. This is from a guy who has a Hulk 1 and now SC 4.

+1

The Hulk is certainly far more ingrained in pop culture than the Flash. The new show is obviously doing a lot to help but it is airing on a third rate network. Crossing over to supergirl seems more designed to help that struggling show than the Flash. Hopefully people will follow him back to his own show on the CW.

Not saying showcase 4 won't ever be the "#2" book. But I do seem to notice a certain price resistance at some levels that I do not see with hulk 1. Hulk 1 has obviously cooled in some mid grades the last few months. But that is likely the calm before the storm. The more I see about the third Thor movie the more it looks like Planet Hulk.

-J.

Kinda makes you wonder if it's not time to think about getting a Hulk 1 if prices are a little weak. I was noticing one in the marketplace - a really nice looking 4.5 with nice paper that is (I believe) well below what a SC4 would sell for. If Hulk and Flash start trading positions, it's like a race. Imagine that!

Being a silver age collector I tend to go for the books that are harder to find, and thanks to roulette44 I've acquired many from him, and even though it looks like showcase 4 has definitely gone up in demand and value thanks to the new TV show and the upcoming DC movies, lets go to the numbers: the lowest amount of CGC unrestored copies has to go to Detective #225 here are the numbers.

Unrestored Copies as per the census

Tec #225 - 150 copies ^^

SC #4 - 241 copies

BB #28 - 642 copies

Hulk #1 - 854 copies

AMF 15 - 1,531 copies

Being a silver age collector I tend to go for the books that are harder to find, and thanks to roulette44 I've acquired many from him, and even though it looks like showcase 4 has definitely gone up in demand and value thanks to the new TV show and the upcoming DC movies, lets go to the numbers: the lowest amount of CGC unrestored copies has to go to Detective #225 here are the numbers.

Unrestored Copies as per the census

Tec #225 - 150 copies ^^

SC #4 - 241 copies

BB #28 - 642 copies

Hulk #1 - 854 copies

AMF 15 - 1,531 copies

If Detective 225 is sought due to the Martian Manhunter first appearance then it is interesting to note that his second appearance in 226 is an incredibly scarce book, with only around 40 graded copies and most of those low grade.