• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what anyone thinks about receiving a PM from a member stating that he agrees to sell a book, and before you get to respond (even though you already gave him a price to agree upon) he sends another PM back to you saying "disregard my last PM". Seemed pretty lame to me.

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what anyone thinks about receiving a PM from a member stating that he agrees to sell a book, and before you get to respond (even though you already gave him a price to agree upon) he sends another PM back to you saying "disregard my last PM". Seemed pretty lame to me.

It seems to me that whenever you make an offer, you are setting a benchmark for that seller as a price to beat. The book was likely yours up until someone agreed to pay a little more. Edited by Junkdrawer

Hey everyone,

It seems to me that whenever you make an offer, you are setting a benchmark for that seller as a price to beat. The book was likely yours up until someone agreed to pay a little more.

Agreed. As disappointing as it can be for a buyer, an offer isn't a deal until accepted. (On eBay however counteroffers are binding)

Hey everyone,

It seems to me that whenever you make an offer, you are setting a benchmark for that seller as a price to beat. The book was likely yours up until someone agreed to pay a little more.

Agreed. As disappointing as it can be for a buyer, an offer isn't a deal until accepted. (On eBay however counteroffers are binding)

That's why we need the exact wording and timing in this instance.

If the buyer made a firm offer, then the seller's response is acceptance.

However if the buyer was tire kicking with a number, and the seller responded with a number there may be a need to confirm that the deal is sealed. Also the timing of the correspondence is needed.

Hey everyone,

I had interpreted Jonnywad to mean that the seller had first answered him accepting his offer, than replied again changing his mind. (shrug)

Hey everyone,

I do get that. I was just upset that he aslo never told me that he had a pending offer that he was waiting on.

Hey everyone,

I had interpreted Jonnywad to mean that the seller had first answered him accepting his offer, than replied again changing his mind. (shrug)

He did accept the offer that I had given him. Later he replied that he had gone ahead and accepted another offer that had been pending, although I was unaware of this offer.

Hey everyone,

He did accept the offer that I had given him. Later he replied that he had gone ahead and accepted another offer that had been pending, although I was unaware of this offer.

Thanks for clarifying that. I would not have been happy either.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for clarifying that. I would not have been happy either.

definitely frowned upon and possibly/probably. a breach of contract. Still might depend on wording, might need some language about payment terms, etc.

It started with him asking me what I offered to pay. I offered. He said he'd think about it. Then he pm'd later and said he would accept the offer but that I needed to pm him back to go ahead with everything. I couldn't even though I saw the message. (Work). Then he replied later with the response that he accepted a pending offer instead. Just a bit unethical. Bad timing for me too

It started with him asking me what I offered to pay. I offered. He said he'd think about it. Then he pm'd later and said he would accept the offer but that I needed to pm him back to go ahead with everything. I couldn't even though I saw the message. (Work). Then he replied later with the response that he accepted a pending offer instead. Just a bit unethical. Bad timing for me too

To me this implies that a deal was not reached unless you replied and confirmed.

When people ask me "what would you say to $X for this book?" I do not take it as a firm offer and ask them to confirm. When they say " I will give you $X for this book" I take it as a firm offer.

If the seller saw that you had read the PM but did not reply he may have assumed you were tire-kicking.

To me this implies that a deal was not reached unless you replied and confirmed.

When people ask me "what would you say to $X for this book?" I do not take it as a firm offer and ask them to confirm. When they say " I will give you $X for this book" I take it as a firm offer.

If the seller saw that you had read the PM but did not reply he may have assumed you were tire-kicking.

That's what I would think, as well. But I am impatient. Ask around.