• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

The one thing I always thought was "un-Bakerish" about that cover, was the woman's hand on the lantern. But now, after seeing the "official" Baker panel, the hand is drawn the exact same! That convinces me that the Secrets cover IS a Matt Baker cover.

I don't think it means the cover is by Baker- just that it's based on a Baker panel, and that's why it looks so much like his work. Why would Baker do a cover based on an obscure panel he'd done two years earlier? He could certainly come up with something better than that.

The GCD guesses that the cover is by D. Giordano.

The one thing I always thought was "un-Bakerish" about that cover, was the woman's hand on the lantern. But now, after seeing the "official" Baker panel, the hand is drawn the exact same! That convinces me that the Secrets cover IS a Matt Baker cover.

I don't think it means the cover is by Baker- just that it's based on a Baker panel, and that's why it looks so much like his work. Why would Baker do a cover based on an obscure panel he'd done two years earlier? He could certainly come up with something better than that.

I'm with the dog on this one.

The colors on these are really nice. Most copies of DS 16 suffer from significant fading.

Well, that DS 16 is really nice. It's got a date with CGC and I think it stands a chance at a 9.2.

I think so, too. :wishluck:

But wait ... where's the frog? :o

I kissed the Hypno-Toad and it changed into Mitzi in Hollywood from Movie Comics #4...

I guess that kiss lacked staying power! :D

I'm with the dog on this one.

Aren't all unsigned Charlton covers from the late 50s attributed to Giordano when no one can figure out who else might have done it.

Aren't all unsigned Charlton covers from the late 50s attributed to Giordano when no one can figure out who else might have done it.

Yup, that's right. In this case, it feels more Alascia to me than Giordano.

..... that's the other guy I was trying to think of...... I don't get a Giordano vibe either..... but my experience with early Giordano is admittedly limited. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well I'm hoping a boardie got it least. link My snipe bid didn't fire and I am bummed out

That one really snuck by under the radar of Baker collectors. There was a Giant Comics Editions #15 in there, and the entire lot only went for $66. That book alone probably would've sold for multiples of the winning bid, had the auction been listed in Comics.

Well I'm hoping a boardie got it least. link My snipe bid didn't fire and I am bummed out

That one really snuck by under the radar of Baker collectors. There was a Giant Comics Editions #15 in there, and the entire lot only went for $66. That book alone probably would've sold for multiples of the winning bid, had the auction been listed in Comics.

Sure did. I saw that listing but I didn't bother to flip through the pictures thinking that they were just misc beaters. Nice snag for someone.

If anyone is wondering who got that copy of Giant Comics Editions #15, it's now for sale here on the boards. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9148768&gonew=1#UNREAD

It was me...worked something out with the seller (but had to pay substantially more than that auction price)

If anyone is wondering who got that copy of Giant Comics Editions #15, it's now for sale here on the boards. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9148768&gonew=1#UNREAD

It was me...worked something out with the seller (but had to pay substantially more than that auction price)

Whoa! You mean he wouldn't honor the auction price? Very uncool of him.

No he was cool - remember I wasn't the auction winner there - but I suggested if he worked it out with the winner of the lot and pulled that one book that I would give him a very fair price for it. So everyone was happy ultimately.

No he was cool - remember I wasn't the auction winner there - but I suggested if he worked it out with the winner of the lot and pulled that one book that I would give him a very fair price for it. So everyone was happy ultimately.

Ah, ok. Got it.