• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,625 posts in this topic

Right, it’s probably the inker (George Roussos/Bell?) – it’s an odd way to ink Ben, I usually prefer Sinnott or Chic Stone, but I love this cover too (and I missed #18 until recently, then picked a VGFN and upgraded to this very nice FN+ or so)- :)

..... the slab says Reinman, but I'm with you on Roussos..... this would be his first work on FF..... followed by covers on 19 and 20, before going on to covers and stories from 21-26...... for some reason, Marvel tried out new inkers for Kirby on covers first...... Chic Stone, for example, debuted on the cover of 27, Giacoia on the cover of 35, etc..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

thanks, buddy. i'm slowly upgrading anything #10 and up that i have below 9.0 to said level, if affordable [these days, that means 35, 45 and 52 are good as-is]. b/w 6-9, i'm going to try to get to 8.0 and above. my 1-5 books are ok, except i'd like to upgrade the 4.

I so respect this approach to collecting! I'm on a slower track but my goal is to fill in the holes in the earlier portion of my run too (#'s 1-20). All in good time…

In the meantime, good luck with the upgrades!

I just love your #18 as well, Stevie… Very solid for a midgrade book, as it presents like a high grade, it has very little flaws if you get past the spine wear… Do you mean it has a detached staple? If it’s your copy, destaple it, fix it and restaple it. Who cares? lol

Plus, all Kirby's FFs are pretty, as KJ once said… :cloud9:

We FF lovers are a special bunch…

I wish more collectors felt that way!

I get why people focus on keys. But if you consider yourself someone who knows comics, you need to at least read the Kirby issues.

I do the opposite. I collect everything but the keys because I can't afford the damn things.

I hate that the movies are making the keys multiply.

I used not to pay much attention to the so-called "keys" when I started. In fact, I went for my favorite issues, and when they happened to be "keys" I was annoyed because they were excessively costly. So, for example, I picked a #36 but skipped the #48 and only bought lowgrade copies of #49 and #50.

Since when I restarted, obviously this "key frenzy" which is mostly artificially driven by hollow speculation bubbles has influenced me, but I always try to go for the issues I consider more meaningful, or that are considered best stories and/or more importants when I am not a "completist" (like I am with FF, Defenders and Dr. Strange).

That’s what I do with most of the other Marvel titles, anyway. I have little to nothing of Atlas, but recently picked a Black Knight #1 (sorry, *Bronze_age_fan*… :sorry: ).

No problem. I keep missing that comic. Glad it went to a good home. :headbang:

No problem. I keep missing that comic. Glad it went to a good home. :headbang:

Thanks – Maneely is wonderful, and I always loved the Black Knight, but only recently learned it was already there in Atlas times! :)

Of course, I know it’s the original one, not Dane Whitman. Now I just miss the villainous one from the Iron Man issue… lol

Edited by vaillant

Of course, I know it’s the original one, not Dane Whitman. Now I just miss the villainous one from the Iron Man issue… lol

That's Dane's uncle (or some such), first appeared in TTA 52. That's easy to find.

Yup, I recall this, it was Dane's uncle I believe. And the original one in the Atlas book is one of his ancestors, right?

I love the Black Knight, one at a time… I just realized I might have the TTA #52, and in nice shape too… I have to check. :)

Woohoo! Just got my oldest FF, a #14 and it's a real beaut as you can see.

scan0021_zpsiwfuyqzj.jpg

Not only my oldest FF but tied with my JIM #92 (although that is a higher grade) as my oldest comic book.

Now, who has a FF#13 they really can't stand the look of any more? :P

scan0021_zpsiwfuyqzj.jpg

Not only my oldest FF but tied with my JIM #92 (although that is a higher grade) as my oldest comic book.

Nice! Longest journey starts with a single step, and all that jazz. :)

scan0021_zpsiwfuyqzj.jpg

What a great journey of discovery you're on. I'll never forget my own "piecing together" of those early FF's. Wish I could do it all again.

scan0021_zpsiwfuyqzj.jpg

Lovely Pence price. Relatively speaking, there are surely less UK copies around, and… it’s well loved! lol

scan0021_zpsiwfuyqzj.jpg

Congrats, and keep at it! Every copy of FF is deserving of love, not just the nosebleed high grades.

Am I crazy, or did everyone want an FF13 for not long ago? He's been killed in modern Marvel, so with luck, the prices don't move until everyone has their copy :)

scan0021_zpsiwfuyqzj.jpg

It actually is your oldest. FF #14 came out the same month as JIM #91, February 1963 in the U.S. Marvel having two 'cover' months for each newsstand month can occasionally vex. Goodwin did everything he could to confuse vendors into keeping his books on the stands as long as possible.

scan0021_zpsiwfuyqzj.jpg

Nice! I just upgraded my 14, on my old issue some kid had drawn a knife right in the middle of the Submariners back.

I call it my "knife in the back subby" copy.

I have several old FF undercopies that I will be eventually selling 7, 9, 11, 13

I'll keep you in mind for when the time comes