• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

Right? Why flush your reputation on the boards over $10?

Here's a story for you. It didn't happen on the Boards but at the local convention a few years ago, first really huge show, I was working for a seller with a lot of $2 bins, fresh stuff, clean books, and people were really buying.

One guy comes up to me with his two kids, young ones, obviously new to comics and cons, and asks me if we had copies of such and such books, I think it was the Indiana Jones movie adaptations, we did, in the $2 Bins, in great condition, if that mattered.

He wanted to get them and share them with his kids, who looked excited, and I was excited to be able to make it happen, for the huge sum of $2 a book.

He takes a look at them, and asks me if he can have them for $1 each. I didn't really know what to say, except, "well, its not my stuff, so I'll have to ask".

The seller said no, and I think justifiably in the circumstances. It was the first day of a monster show with lots of people making huge piles out of these bins. The seller was not going to suddenly announce to one customer that books could be had for $1 each.

So the customer hands them back to me and says he'll have to pass, and leaves with his two very sad and confused looking kids, so he could save like $3.

And I had the same feeling afterwards, "maybe I should have just paid for the difference for the kids...".

Someone said to me "no you shouldn't have, you can't save the guy from being a jerk".

Had a guy dig out a big stack from our dollar books...he said i'll take these. I count them out...that will be $13...he is like oh I thought they were a $1...yes and you have 13...oh no I thought it was just $1 doh!

now that's funny lol

Here's a story for you. It didn't happen on the Boards but at the local convention a few years ago, first really huge show, I was working for a seller with a lot of $2 bins, fresh stuff, clean books, and people were really buying.

One guy comes up to me with his two kids, young ones, obviously new to comics and cons, and asks me if we had copies of such and such books, I think it was the Indiana Jones movie adaptations, we did, in the $2 Bins, in great condition, if that mattered.

He wanted to get them and share them with his kids, who looked excited, and I was excited to be able to make it happen, for the huge sum of $2 a book.

He takes a look at them, and asks me if he can have them for $1 each. I didn't really know what to say, except, "well, its not my stuff, so I'll have to ask".

The seller said no, and I think justifiably in the circumstances. It was the first day of a monster show with lots of people making huge piles out of these bins. The seller was not going to suddenly announce to one customer that books could be had for $1 each.

So the customer hands them back to me and says he'll have to pass, and leaves with his two very sad and confused looking kids, so he could save like $3.

And I had the same feeling afterwards, "maybe I should have just paid for the difference for the kids...".

Someone said to me "no you shouldn't have, you can't save the guy from being a jerk".

Had a guy dig out a big stack from our dollar books...he said i'll take these. I count them out...that will be $13...he is like oh I thought they were a $1...yes and you have 13...oh no I thought it was just $1 doh!

How... What... Huh... Gotta sit down and resist the urge to let the aneurysm in my brain explode. How on earth did this person figure out how to operate a motor vehicle and arrive at the location where you were selling these books???

How... What... Huh... Gotta sit down and resist the urge to let the aneurysm in my brain explode. How on earth did this person figure out how to operate a motor vehicle and arrive at the location where you were selling these books???

What's even worse is if he thought it was $1 for as many as he wanted, why didn't he just pick up the whole box?

What's even worse is if he thought it was $1 for as many as he wanted, why didn't he just pick up the whole box?

lol

On a non-comic but similar mentality note, I drove by my neighbor's house (from a few houses down) one morning a few years ago and they had a huge table set up by the road with a ton of kids stuff (books, toys, etc.) on it with a sign taped to the table that read "FREE. HELP YOURSELF". I came home that evening and all the stuff was on the ground and the table was gone.

doh!

Some people need extremely specific instruction.

lol

On a non-comic but similar mentality note, I drove by my neighbor's house (from a few houses down) one morning a few years ago and they had a huge table set up by the road with a ton of kids stuff (books, toys, etc.) on it with a sign taped to the table that read "FREE. HELP YOURSELF". I came home that evening and all the stuff was on the ground and the table was gone.

doh!

I can't stop picturing your neighbors sitting on a couch, struggling to eat, with plates balanced on their knees. And the wife just keeps glaring over and saying "I told you to just leave the books out on the curb, but no you HAD to put the table out there. It will look nice for the kids, you said."

doh!

lol Now that's funny!!!

So many cheapasses around.

A few years ago, during one of the VCCs, I had some books priced at significant discounts to Overstreet. Had one guy try to low ball me on top of that, citing that I had them priced too high and he could get them for less in his area. I didn't respond the way I wanted to respond. :)

The best part is that the comics in question were Strange Tales 178-181. This was wayyyy before both Gamora and Adam Warlock got hot. Sucks to be him. Shouldn't have been a lowballing lol

Hello

I just joined the forum because my cousin and I also have many books that were sent to Akoni Kaholo. My main concern is recovering the books we sent because we spent a lot of money on signatures and grading alone and th last time I heard from him was in November where he said the books have already been sent to CGC and should be done by Mid December. nothing since then and I'm glad I wasn't being paranoid.

The books we sent were

Green Lantern 76 (CGC 9.0) to get signed by Neal Adams

Superman (New 52) #34 John Romita Sr variant (CGC 9.8) signed by JRSR JRJR

ASM #75, #97, #122, #129, #361, #375, #378 multiple signatures

Uncanny X-Men 211 (signed by JRJR / Chris Claremont, Stan Lee

TMNT amazing Hawaii comic con variant with Kevin Eastman sketch (to sa3ad)

TMNT amazing Hawaii comic con variant with Kevin Eastman sketch (to Mishari)

Edited by gtmcomics

Hello

I just joined the forum because my cousin and I also have many books that were sent to Akoni Kaholo. My main concern is recovering the books we sent because we spent a lot of money on signatures and grading alone and th last time I heard from him was in November where he said the books have already been sent to CGC and should be done by Mid December. nothing since then and I'm glad I wasn't being paranoid.

The books we sent were

Green Lantern 76 (CGC 9.0) to get signed by Neal Adams

Superman (New 52) #34 John Romita Sr variant (CGC 9.8) signed by JRSR JRJR

ASM #75, #97, #122, #129, #361, #375, #378 multiple signatures

Uncanny X-Men 211 (signed by JRJR / Chris Claremont, Stan Lee

TMNT amazing Hawaii comic con variant with Kevin Eastman sketch (to sa3ad)

TMNT amazing Hawaii comic con variant with Kevin Eastman sketch (to Mishari)

Welcome,

I sent you a Private Message. It'll appear as a little red and white flashing envelope icon to the right of "My Stuff" near the top of the page. Click on it and you'll see my message.

Sorry to hear that JD :( Let us know after 72 hours.
I finally received the $10 payment today. Movin on.

Thanks for the update JD. So he stays off the list, but man way to burn your bridges. Sorry you had to deal with this.

:whistle:

Good to hear you haven't had to resort the following methods, to get your ten bucks, from some character who just couldn't bear to part with his apparently beloved Alexander Hamilton......

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0LEVyvqYrFW_BwAnbNXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyYWNjYXM5BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjExNzhfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Paperboy+I+Want+My+5+Dollars&fr=tightropetb#id=4&vid=5c53f34fa786480ac7643b5435a85ddc&action=view

Good to hear you haven't had to resort the following methods, to get your ten bucks, from some character who just couldn't bear to part with his apparently beloved Alexander Hamilton......

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0LEVyvqYrFW_BwAnbNXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyYWNjYXM5BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjExNzhfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Paperboy+I+Want+My+5+Dollars&fr=tightropetb#id=4&vid=5c53f34fa786480ac7643b5435a85ddc&action=view

Nice stealth edit. I vote no. lol

Nice stealth edit. I vote no. lol

Well played, sir.

My vote for post of the day, would be yes...mostly because Better Off Dead is a classic 80's flick.

Probation List Nomination

davedawgbg

Reason: Transaction not Completed after 30 Days & No Communication

Claimed and Paid for Books on Dec 9th / 2015 in davedawgbg's Sales Thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=79&Number=9034932&Searchpage=1&Main=390016&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post9034932

Dec 9th / 2015 davedawgbg acknowledges payment has been received and books will be shipped next day and shipping info to be provided (Last I heard from him)

Sent PM on Jan 3 / 2016 asking for the Shipping Info as the books still have not showed up.

No Response, still shows as unread.

Sent PM on Jan 11 / 2016 asking for shipping details. No response still shows as unread

Sent PM on Jan 11 / 2016 informing davedawgbg that I am nominating him for the Probation List

Hi everyone, I have received the books from davedawgbg and would like to withdrawal my nomination. This was a simple case of life getting in the way of comics.

Thanks

Edited by Spracks919

5) Dutch74 reappears, following his attempts to delete his profile, claiming he had no interest in this forum

That should be irrelevant concerning this topic

though he went through at least one name change in the process ).

And that should be irrelevant as well. Although obviously it's not to you. Does that explain you biased posts? That would be plainly sad.

It's interesting as well that you mention these facts, suggesting many things, while leaving the conclusions in the open. Is this what you mean when you describe yourself as an honest person who does things in a calm and polite way? Sorry, but I disagree.

To all who are here for the right reasons, I am sorry about this off-topic discussion.

Well, I think Randall is awesome!