• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do any other publishers do "Linewide Variant" like Valiant?

79 posts in this topic

So, the entire Valiant line is around 70,000 copies in a month. There would be 700 copies of the 1:100 linewide variant. The 1:10 single issue variant is going to be 1:10 on the 12,000 copies sold. That's 1,200 copies. The 1:20 single issue variant is going to be 1:20 on the 12,000 copies sold. That's 600 copies. The books are identical (inside) except for the different covers.

Where do these numbers come from?

I imagine they're estimates based on actual Comichron numbers for recent issues.

Yes, the monthly numbers come from Comichron.

The incentive ratios come from Previews.

Not those numbers. :)

The straight calculation is done because Dinesh said they print all the ratio books. (As opposed to seeing how many stores qualify, the ratios are printed to the full amount.)

THOSE numbers. :D

It would be interesting to see if VEI would be willing to confirm that information. Not that I doubt either you OR Dino (is it passé to call him Dino anymore...? I'm so 2005) but as you know, DC and Marvel don't release these numbers, and, of course, we also know that neither DC nor Marvel prints to their ratios (because of the occasional sale of these books that Diamond puts together for retailer accounts.)

I believe that is what Greg is saying and that Dino has confirmed: VEI claims to actually print the number the ratios indicate they do, unlike Marvel/DC.

This recently came up with one of the Divinity (I think, maybe Harbinger Wars) Variants, where Dino confirmed they actually only printed like 350 of them.

That does not put them all in the hands of shops. For example, half the print run may have gone to shops that did not qualify, which would leave VEI with half of the 350 undistributed. So it is not entirely unlike Marvel/DC.

Thanks, Chris. As you know, Marvel and DC's incentive ratios are distribution numbers, rather than print numbers, so if Marvel prints 75,000 copies of a regular book, they don't (necessarily) print 750 copies of a 1:100 of that book plus 5-10% for damage, but rather an internal number that Marvel/DC come up with that they don't make public.

We know this because 1. Diamond and Marvel/DC already know how many stores qualify for any particular variant by the FOC, so they know exactly how many they need to cover the program (which is always a lower number than the actual ratio of regular to incentives would dictate), and 2. Diamond has regularly sold leftover ratio'd books in numbers far in excess of the original ratios, especially considering that a good portion of those regular copies ordered weren't enough to meet the requirements. That is, they have 1600 copies of a "1:100" book that the regular edition only sold 47,000 copies of, and for which only 374 retailers qualified to order.

In other words, they aren't tying the print run to the amount of qualifying orders.

If Valiant ties the print runs of the ratio'd incentives directly to the print run of the regular copies, that would be different than any other publisher is currently doing. Rather interesting, too.

If you're ready for another fun nugget... Dinesh said that the unearned books are only kept for 3 months to allow for returns/damages. The leftovers are then shredded. :o

And one more little one...

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%208.19.19%20PM_zpsnttq5wlv.png

About 225 worthless books sold off at one time over two years ago proves what, exactly? (shrug) (other than my point earlier?)

-J.

It proves that Marvel REALLY DID print more variants than retailers earned... AND...

It proves that Marvel REALLY DID sell variants for under a buck that SHOULD have cost retailers $30+ in orders before they earned one.

You have said Marvel wouldn't print more variants than they needed and that there's no chance they'd risk upsetting dealers by just giving away hard-to-earn books for next-to-nothing prices.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Plus... You're :signofftopic:

Three strikes buddy. Take a seat in the dugout.

Every event that Diamond Distribution has, they give us retailers 1:50 and 1:100 (and more) variants from Marvel and DC that are at least 6 months to a year old that they have extras of. At a typical event, they give out a minimum of 500 to 1000 each of these.

This year at SDCC is a perfect example at the Marvel Friday Lunch....

At SDCC this year they gave us:

1:300 Superman Unchained #1 Jim Lee Sketch Variant

1:100 Sandman Overture #1 Sketch Variant

1:200 Sandman Overture #1 Sketch Variant

1:300 Fantastic Four Alex Ross Sketch Variant

1:50 Venom #1 Sketch Variant

+ various other publisher variants.

I got two of each because my son, who is on my account, got a variant package as well. There was a MINIMUM of 500 accounts there.

Every event that Diamond Distribution has, they give us retailers 1:50 and 1:100 (and more) variants from Marvel and DC that are at least 6 months to a year old that they have extras of. At a typical event, they give out a minimum of 500 to 1000 each of these.

I got two of each because my son, who is on my account, got a variant package as well. There was a MINIMUM of 500 accounts there.

That rare phenomenon of why that occasionally happens was explained in my earlier post.

You are not factually disputing anything that I have said and are in fact once again using isolated anecdotes to draw an extremely broad conclusion that is in reality just your opinion (and since your disdain for incentive variants is now well documented and on the record , anything you have to say about them should be viewed with skepticism).

-J.

About 225 worthless books sold off at one time over two years ago proves what, exactly? (shrug) (other than my point earlier?)

-J.

It proves that Marvel REALLY DID print more variants than retailers earned... AND...

It proves that Marvel REALLY DID sell variants for under a buck that SHOULD have cost retailers $30+ in orders before they earned one.

You have said Marvel wouldn't print more variants than they needed and that there's no chance they'd risk upsetting dealers by just giving away hard-to-earn books for next-to-nothing prices.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Actually all it "proves" is what I outlined and explained in my earlier post. lol. I didn't say any of what you said I did so in will give you the benefit of the doubt and just chalk that up you simply not having read the post rather than a failure at reading comprehension.

But keep trying pal, maybe you will actually best me someday. :applause:

-J.

-J.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Actually all it "proves" is what I outlined and explained in my earlier post. lol

-J.

No. One. Believes. You. About. Comics. Whether. It. Is. What. You. Say. Or. What. You. Show. In. Your. Signature. You. Live. In. A. Fantasy. World.

P.S. You're still :signofftopic:

Are we still trying to float the nonsensical notion that Marvel and DC deliberately over print incentive variants that they have no intention of distributing based solely on the fact that they sell off their scant overages on a tiny microscopic percentage of their variants once in a blue moon?

(shrug)

That is nothing but baseless speculation constantly floated as "fact" by a select few who have been exposed as having some kind of "problem" with variants in general and incentive variants specifically.

Do Marvel and DC divulge the print runs of specific variants ?

Nope.

Do they print comic books that they have no intention of distributing and for the sole purpose of storing in a warehouse until the day they decide to sell them for below cover price two years later?

Nope.

Let's not be silly.

-J.

You are mistaken, on multiple levels, all of which have exhaustively been detailed many times, in many threads.

Please don't derail another thread with your caustic posts.

Thank you.

Actually no, that hasn't been done at all.

Yourself, and one or two others are very skilled at disguising your opinions as "settled fact". You speak in broad, sweeping absolutes yet can never cite more than one or two of the same isolated anecdotes or outliers to buttress your opinions. While it is a clever debate tactic, it is fraught with potholes and is easily defeated.

So let me drop some actual facts on you and clear up a few myths:

I have heard from multiple dealers and Diamond account holders over the last few months that have shed a lot of light on why a few incentive variants trickle out into Diamond fire sales and 5 packs every now and then.

According to them, Marvel/DC print books by the case for distribution. Each case holds 200/225 copies. Let's say for an example that a book is offered with a variant and say 610 retailers qualify for one copy AND order the variant. Marvel will print 675 copies (enough for three full cases to cover the order and this amount would also be enough to cover any overages for printing snafus, etc.). Marvel will not print less than enough to fill one full case. So in this instance we have 65 "extra copies" of this particular variant ultimately sitting around somewhere. Perhaps they are given away to employees or creators if it's a "hot release". Perhaps they are given away to retailers who didn't even necessarily qualify for it or order it at release who were shorted on a prior order as a "make good". Perhaps they will end up in a five pack. Perhaps they are given out at conventions. Or perhaps they are actually stored in a warehouse somewhere until the day comes that Marvel decides that they have enough of these printing overages on numerous books sitting stacked up to blow them out in a fire sale.

All of this easily explains why "some" variants do turn up from time to time after a book's release. It also explains why this is a very sporadic occurrence and why these RI variants are only blown out only once in a very blue moon.

But under no circumstance in the above scenario is the publisher printing the RI variant "by the thousands" to only fill a 610 copy order. That is simply a preposterous notion on its face.

Hope that clears things up a little. (thumbs u

-J.

One more time:

You are mistaken, on multiple levels, all of which have exhaustively been detailed many times, in many threads. We have gone over this and over this and over this and over this, you won't listen to anyone, and lie about the statements and positions of others to "make your points."

Thank you.

-J.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Actually all it "proves" is what I outlined and explained in my earlier post. lol

-J.

No. One. Believes. You. About. Comics. Whether. It. Is. What. You. Say. Or. What. You. Show. In. Your. Signature. You. Live. In. A. Fantasy. World.

P.S. You're still :signofftopic:

Yes I know.

Actual facts hurt.

Carry on.

lol

-J.

Dude, that rare phenomenon of why that occasionally happens was explained in my earlier post.

You are not factually disputing anything that I have said and are in fact once again using isolated anecdotes to draw an extremely broad conclusion that is in reality just your opinion (and since your disdain for inventive variants is now well documented and on the record , anything you have to say about them should be viewed with skepticism.

-J.

No Jay... EVERY major Diamond event, they give us books like that. Ask any retailer who travels to the summit each year or goes to the breakfast at C2E2, or the lunch in San Diego. They always have free packs of variants for us. Retailer Incentive Variants (that's where I got my Saga Retailer Incentive I sold on the boards 5 minutes after the breakfast that year).... EVERY event. A new batch of variants that are 6 months to over a year old.

I go to SDCC and attend that lunch EVERY year. I go to Baltimore and attend the Summit, EVERY YEAR (except when it's elsewhere). One of the reasons I go and listen to the publisher's presentations is because I know, that packet will help PAY for my trip. They do it for us, for that reason. They give us those EXTRA variants, so we CAN pay for the trip and come out and meet them. They know they have those extra variants to give us, and we'll put them to use.

Extra variants that YOU claim don't exist.

Like the 2013 sale showing ALL of those variants being sold for 75 CENTS.

Ask any seller why they would sell variants for 75 cents.... go on, ask them... the answer will always be the same - I got a chit ton of them and I need to move them before any trace of desire is gone for them. Diamond was blowing them out. Cause they had a but load of them. Not a chit load, a BUT load.

Deny all you want, I just knocked over your milkshake.

Are we still trying to float the nonsensical notion that Marvel and DC deliberately over print incentive variants that they have no intention of distributing based solely on the fact that they sell off their scant overages on a tiny microscopic percentage of their variants once in a blue moon?

(shrug)

That is nothing but baseless speculation constantly floated as "fact" by a select few who have been exposed as having some kind of "problem" with variants in general and incentive variants specifically.

Nope.

Do they print comic books that they have no intention of distributing and for the sole purpose of storing in a warehouse until the day they decide to sell them for below cover price two years later?

Nope.

Let's not be silly.

-J.

You are mistaken, on multiple levels, all of which have exhaustively been detailed many times, in many threads.

Thank you.

Yourself, and one or two others are very skilled at disguising your opinions as "settled fact". You speak in broad, sweeping absolutes yet can never cite more than one or two of the same isolated anecdotes or outliers to buttress your opinions. While it is a clever debate tactic, it is fraught with potholes and is easily defeated.

I have heard from multiple dealers and Diamond account holders over the last few months that have shed a lot of light on why a few incentive variants trickle out into Diamond fire sales and 5 packs every now and then.

According to them, Marvel/DC print books by the case for distribution. Each case holds 200/225 copies. Let's say for an example that a book is offered with a variant and say 610 retailers qualify for one copy AND order the variant. Marvel will print 675 copies (enough for three full cases to cover the order and this amount would also be enough to cover any overages for printing snafus, etc.). Marvel will not print less than enough to fill one full case. So in this instance we have 65 "extra copies" of this particular variant ultimately sitting around somewhere. Perhaps they are given away to employees or creators if it's a "hot release". Perhaps they are given away to retailers who didn't even necessarily qualify for it or order it at release who were shorted on a prior order as a "make good". Perhaps they will end up in a five pack. Perhaps they are given out at conventions. Or perhaps they are actually stored in a warehouse somewhere until the day comes that Marvel decides that they have enough of these printing overages on numerous books sitting stacked up to blow them out in a fire sale.

All of this easily explains why "some" variants do turn up from time to time after a book's release. It also explains why this is a very sporadic occurrence and why these RI variants are only blown out only once in a very blue moon.

But under no circumstance in the above scenario is the publisher printing the RI variant "by the thousands" to only fill a 610 copy order. That is simply a preposterous notion on its face.

-J.

One more time:

You are mistaken, on multiple levels, all of which have exhaustively been detailed many times, in many threads. We have gone over this and over this and over this and over this, you won't listen to anyone, and lie about the statements and positions of others to "make your points."

Thank you.

Once again.

That's your opinion.

And you've been very clear and repetitive with it.

Thank you.

-J.

So, the entire Valiant line is around 70,000 copies in a month. There would be 700 copies of the 1:100 linewide variant. The 1:10 single issue variant is going to be 1:10 on the 12,000 copies sold. That's 1,200 copies. The 1:20 single issue variant is going to be 1:20 on the 12,000 copies sold. That's 600 copies. The books are identical (inside) except for the different covers.

Where do these numbers come from?

I imagine they're estimates based on actual Comichron numbers for recent issues.

Yes, the monthly numbers come from Comichron.

The incentive ratios come from Previews.

Not those numbers. :)

The straight calculation is done because Dinesh said they print all the ratio books. (As opposed to seeing how many stores qualify, the ratios are printed to the full amount.)

THOSE numbers. :D

It would be interesting to see if VEI would be willing to confirm that information. Not that I doubt either you OR Dino (is it passé to call him Dino anymore...? I'm so 2005) but as you know, DC and Marvel don't release these numbers, and, of course, we also know that neither DC nor Marvel prints to their ratios (because of the occasional sale of these books that Diamond puts together for retailer accounts.)

I believe that is what Greg is saying and that Dino has confirmed: VEI claims to actually print the number the ratios indicate they do, unlike Marvel/DC.

This recently came up with one of the Divinity (I think, maybe Harbinger Wars) Variants, where Dino confirmed they actually only printed like 350 of them.

That does not put them all in the hands of shops. For example, half the print run may have gone to shops that did not qualify, which would leave VEI with half of the 350 undistributed. So it is not entirely unlike Marvel/DC.

Thanks, Chris. As you know, Marvel and DC's incentive ratios are distribution numbers, rather than print numbers, so if Marvel prints 75,000 copies of a regular book, they don't (necessarily) print 750 copies of a 1:100 of that book plus 5-10% for damage, but rather an internal number that Marvel/DC come up with that they don't make public.

We know this because 1. Diamond and Marvel/DC already know how many stores qualify for any particular variant by the FOC, so they know exactly how many they need to cover the program (which is always a lower number than the actual ratio of regular to incentives would dictate), and 2. Diamond has regularly sold leftover ratio'd books in numbers far in excess of the original ratios, especially considering that a good portion of those regular copies ordered weren't enough to meet the requirements. That is, they have 1600 copies of a "1:100" book that the regular edition only sold 47,000 copies of, and for which only 374 retailers qualified to order.

In other words, they aren't tying the print run to the amount of qualifying orders.

If Valiant ties the print runs of the ratio'd incentives directly to the print run of the regular copies, that would be different than any other publisher is currently doing. Rather interesting, too.

If you're ready for another fun nugget... Dinesh said that the unearned books are only kept for 3 months to allow for returns/damages. The leftovers are then shredded. :o

That's unfortunate. I'm sure there are several people who would be willing to take those books for more than the cost to shred.

However...if you have a mind, you might pass this on: please ask Dino and VEI to document and account for the numbers shredded. That way, we might have a better idea of what actually exists down the road.

In fact, you might ask them to document everything, because who knows what people will be interested in in 2036?

Dude, that rare phenomenon of why that occasionally happens was explained in my earlier post.

You are not factually disputing anything that I have said and are in fact once again using isolated anecdotes to draw an extremely broad conclusion that is in reality just your opinion (and since your disdain for inventive variants is now well documented and on the record , anything you have to say about them should be viewed with skepticism.

-J.

No Jay... EVERY major Diamond event, they give us books like that. Ask any retailer who travels to the summit each year or goes to the breakfast at C2E2, or the lunch in San Diego. They always have free packs of variants for us. Retailer Incentive Variants (that's where I got my Saga Retailer Incentive I sold on the boards 5 minutes after the breakfast that year).... EVERY event. A new batch of variants that are 6 months to over a year old.

I go to SDCC and attend that lunch EVERY year. I go to Baltimore and attend the Summit, EVERY YEAR (except when it's elsewhere). One of the reasons I go and listen to the publisher's presentations is because I know, that packet will help PAY for my trip. They do it for us, for that reason. They give us those EXTRA variants, so we CAN pay for the trip and come out and meet them. They know they have those extra variants to give us, and we'll put them to use.

Extra variants that YOU claim don't exist.

Like the 2013 sale showing ALL of those variants being sold for 75 CENTS.

Ask any seller why they would sell variants for 75 cents.... go on, ask them... the answer will always be the same - I got a chit ton of them and I need to move them before any trace of desire is gone for them. Diamond was blowing them out. Cause they had a but load of them. Not a chit load, a BUT load.

Deny all you want, I just knocked over your milkshake.

You keep saying "no" but it's clear you are either ignoring the point or did not catch it.

It has been explained why there are sometimes certain (modest ) quantities of "some" books handed out at cons or end up in five packs. You are a retailer you of all people know how many hundreds or thousands of variants are printed every year. And what tiny, infinitesimal amount end up being "given out" or sold off on the cheap several months or a year later. As a percentage of what is printed it is microscopic, which, again , is why Diamond only does those bulk offerings once every few years.

-J.

(shrug)

Nope.

Nope.

Let's not be silly.

-J.

Thank you.

-J.

One more time:

Thank you.

Once again.

That's your opinion.

And you've been very clear and repetitive with it.

Thank you.

-J.

No, it's documentable fact, Jay. Here's an example of your error:

That comment, as everyone can see, was aimed at me. And, as several can attest here, I am a variant fanatic, and have been since nearly the beginning of my days as a collector, the early 90's, when I discovered the Justice League #3 (1987) variant. I have long boxes filled with variants. I have perhaps 30 long boxes...full...of...variants.

Therefore, your statement that that was by someone who has been "exposed as having some kind of "problem" with variants" is false, demonstrably so, but you don't care about facts. I say this to once again demonstrate that you have no use for the truth, and never have.

Go derail some other thread, please.