• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Historical significance and current market dynamics are two different things today

15-20 yrs ago you weren't even considered a serious dc collector unless you had a run of all stars.

are you saying newbie GA collectors just want to make a buck off comics and aren't collecting them primarily for coolness and significance...? I wouldn't care if these books were worth half the dime they originally cost, because I'd still buy what I like.
never even implied that doh!
so the MMs just aren't cool enough for them to connect to and drive up interest. lol. MMs not cool enough?! I'm not poking at you Rick...maybe I need a newbie GA collector to speak up and say why they don't think MMs are cool enough. I'm guessing because of the the price points that are so high---they'd rather buy a Cap book than an early MM for $5000
This is definitely me. Despite my focus on Timelys I do not own even a single MM.

How about married copies? :kidaround:

I'd rather buy Cap books; any Cap books. :sorry:

Me lik'em all Timelys, but wha'da I know. :insane:

As a younger person (26) who would like to get into golden age collecting what do you recommend? I tend to be a bit of an unfocused collector, I'd prefer to have say, one example of each major book then 12 consecutive issues of one. I like to have variety. My price range of affordability is about up to $400 on one book once or twice a year right now, with my other cheaper collecting habits. I'd prefer to stay away from extremely low grade books, 1.5 or worse but I am less bothered by things like a detached cover that is really nice as opposed to having an attached cover that is very beat. DC characters of particular interest are Batman, Superman, and Flash, and on Timely side, Cap, and Submariner. I also have interest in Captain Marvel and Plastic Man, which would probably be less expensive to pursue in my current position. in What do you think would be desirable, realistic books to look out for given these parameters?

I highly recommend getting a set of Gerber photo guides (I have an inexpensive set available ) and peruse/study and find issues that appeal to you. Then search out budget copies. Everyone's taste is unique

+1 ...I'll second Gator's recommendation for the Gerber Photo-Journals. (thumbs u

Additionally, those new to GA collecting might consider purchasing a few of the color PD photocopies being sold on ebay to get a feel for the interiors. They're definitely not full blown replicas with wrap-around covers, but some reproduce the GA art better than DC Archives & Marvel Masterworks that are out there at around $10 a pop for complete issues (including house ads, text stories and misc. advertising).

Of the better duplications I've seen are rarer MLJ (Pep #34), Fawcett (Capt. Marvel #18), Fox (Wonderworld #3) and Quality titles (Police #1, Hit #5). Again, the vendor clearly never intended photocopies as substitutes for the original books and not all duplications being sold on ebay are as nice as those mentioned. That said, they're not bad as reading copies while hunting for the real thing on a budget. My 2c

Interesting! I will definitely have to check them out. Being able to read the comics is somewhat important to me. I care about the stories, delving into the past of the characters and learning about characters largely forgotten by the majority (I am fond of Ghost Patrol for example)

I am interested in getting this Gerber guide you mention if you want to PM me about it. And while everyone's tastes are of course unique, Im still interested in hearing what issues might be less costly but still contain particularly fun or interesting stories and art, things that might not be obvious seeing only a cover. I do own one Golden Age issue, a Detective Comics 73, as Scarecrow is my favorite Batman villain and one of my all time favorite villains, it is missing its center fold, which is why I was able to afford it so I am after a coverless copy or centerfold by itself in the rare chance that shows up . I believe a Worlds Finest 3 will be out of range for me for some time yet.

Interesting! I will definitely have to check them out. Being able to read the comics is somewhat important to me. I care about the stories, delving into the past of the characters and learning about characters largely forgotten by the majority (I am fond of Ghost Patrol for example)

I am interested in getting this Gerber guide you mention if you want to PM me about it. And while everyone's tastes are of course unique, Im still interested in hearing what issues might be less costly but still contain particularly fun or interesting stories and art, things that might not be obvious seeing only a cover. I do own one Golden Age issue, a Detective Comics 73, as Scarecrow is my favorite Batman villain and one of my all time favorite villains, it is missing its center fold, which is why I was able to afford it so I am after a coverless copy or centerfold by itself in the rare chance that shows up . I believe a Worlds Finest 3 will be out of range for me for some time yet.

There's some of my weird insight on early Archie and MLJ on my Undercover Archie blog, if you get a chance, check it out (though I need to get back to updating it a little more regularly!):

This week: Pep Comics #2 reviewed!

Ad_zps11zla6ox.jpg

I'm a recent entrant into G.A, but I have no desire to own either a Cap 1 or Marvel Comics 1.

I like Cap, but like every Cap fan, I have all the Silver Age appearances. If I had a Cap 1, I'd feel compelled finish that run as well, or else it would look out of place. Seeing how many seasoned collectors are perpetually hunting Caps, that doesn't seem enjoyable at all. Knowing what these books sell for, I feel it's too late to start now.

I'm 25 issues into a Captain Marvel Adventures run. There's plenty of supply, and the fact that they're cheap benefits me twofold: one, most of the run is easily accessible, and two, the big collectors only seem to want high grade copies, if at all.

I'll also buy G.A. Batmans. Filling in numbers ahead of my Silver Age issues is adding flavor to my existing collection, so it doesn't matter if I never have the first ten or twenty issues.

Vexsus, if you want an inexpensive golden age title to work on, try Joe Palooka. I had an issue show up in a stack of books, and I enjoyed it. The art was more cartoonish than I was used to, but I found it surprisingly well written. I can't understand why they don't sell.

G.A.tor,

What is it about Florida teams that they end up with elite defenses and no offense?

if referring about football, that was result of a defensive oriented hc over last 4 years. Under spurrier and Meyer we had good to elite offenses. And under current hc I believe we will see that shift back to offense soon enough.

G.A.tor,

What is it about Florida teams that they end up with elite defenses and no offense?

if referring about football, that was result of a defensive oriented hc over last 4 years. Under spurrier and Meyer we had good to elite offenses. And under current hc I believe we will see that shift back to offense soon enough.

I was referring to both the football and basketball teams. ;)

EDIT: Though it looks like their offensive woes may be over. Great win over West Virginia.

Edited by thunsicker

Our Bball team has offensive talent. But our shooting has been generally "offensive" outside of the auburn and wvu games. It's all about confidence.

G.A.tor

Do you think the team is missing Billy Donovan?

Our Bball team has offensive talent. But our shooting has been generally "offensive" outside of the auburn and wvu games. It's all about confidence.

G.A.tor

Do you think the team is missing Billy Donovan?

I'm sure. But white will continue the gator program admirably

Gator, who's gonna win the 50th Super Bowl, the Broncos or the Panthers? (shrug)

I'm torn. As a nostalgist, my inclination is to root for Manning (it's probably his swan song), but then again, how can I not support any team that sports a big CAT as a symbol?

Thoughts on a point spread? Dust off your crystal ball and let's see the prediction. :headbang: