• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2012 VENOM 1:50 variants with Print Runs - ASM 678 Hulk 4 FF 14 etc

162 posts in this topic

Couldn't find a thread devoted to the entire month's worth of the Venom 1:50 variants from 2012, and since the ASM 678 hit astronomical prices, some others have gotten expensive raw such as Iron Man 512, Incredible Hulk 4 and Uncanny X-Force 20.

As we know, Marvel won't say what the print runs of variants are, but here are the print runs of the regular issues and with several being under 40,000 it's a safe bet that not many shops were ordering 50 copies to get the variant. Some of these variants could have a print run of just 300-400 copies!

I didn't check the CGC census for every book, but I did for some and they're noted (blue labels).

Happy hunting

*Standard cover print runs under 40,000 are in bold

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 678 (54,252) 9.8(17) 9.6 (30)

AVENGERS 21 (54,803)

CAPTAIN AMERICA 7 (46,954)

DEFENDERS 2 (38,935) 9.8(7) 9.6(1)

FANTASTIC FOUR 602 (45,131)

FF 14 (42,609)

INCREDIBLE HULK 4 (45,876) 9.8 (10)

IRON MAN 512 (35,159)

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 633 (23,869) 9.8 (2) 9.6 (1) **Lowest Print Run**

MIGHTY THOR 10 (37,487) 9.8(2) 9.6 (1)

NEW AVENGERS 20 (52,910) 9.8 (6)

SCARLET SPIDER 1 (53,410)

SECRET AVENGERS 21 (38,082) 9.8(2) 9.6 (3)

UNCANNY X-FORCE 20 (51,054) 9.8(8) 9.6(2)

UNCANNY X-MEN 5 (63,477) ***Highest Print Run***

VENOM 12 (28,728) 9.8(3)

WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN 4 (59,530)

X-MEN 23 (38,719)

X-MEN LEGACY 261 (37,160) 9.8(7) 9.6(2)

Edited by Lonzilla

We all know the spiderman 678 venom MJ sells for ridiculous prices. However, the Uncanncy X-Force 20 variant cover with Psylocke has been selling for crazy prices too. Beat and (below 9.8 raw) copies have been going for $300+. The psylocke cover is my favorite because the artwork is just so cool. Big time psylocke fine though.

how are the other venom variants doing? Why didn't I pick up all these for cheap when they came out? lol

We all know the spiderman 678 venom MJ sells for ridiculous prices. However, the Uncanncy X-Force 20 variant cover with Psylocke has been selling for crazy prices too. Beat and (below 9.8 raw) copies have been going for $300+. The psylocke cover is my favorite because the artwork is just so cool. Big time psylocke fine though.

how are the other venom variants doing? Why didn't I pick up all these for cheap when they came out? lol

The Hulk one seems to have the most copies on ebay regularly, maybe they were offered as a leftover stock sale from Diamond a few years back? Listings for the others are sporadic and some have gone pretty cheap, I guess not everyone is searching them out yet

I just picked up the Secret Avengers one at a LCS to get slabbed. Could be considered the 1st appearance of Agent Venom, but only on the cover. Foreshadowing of what was to come 2 issues later?

The Marvel incentives are distribution numbers, not print numbers.

The number of copies of the variants printed has nothing to do with how many accounts qualified for the incentive.

Once again: those are distribution numbers, NOT print numbers.

They are NOT the same thing, and never have been.

I understand that this idea keeps cropping up here, and elsewhere, but it's still not accurate, and never has been.

The number of regular copies ordered doesn't have anything to do with the number of copies of the variants printed. The print run number of the variants is a number that Marvel determines in-house, and has not made public (for the most part.)

Again: "1:X" are DISTRIBUTION numbers, NOT PRINT numbers.

The number of copies of the variants printed has nothing to do with how many accounts qualified for the incentive.

I understand that this idea keeps cropping up here, and elsewhere, but it's still not accurate, and never has been.

The number of regular copies ordered doesn't have anything to do with the number of copies of the variants printed. The print run number of the variants is a number that Marvel determines in-house, and has not made public (for the most part.)

If you're referring to Comichron numbers with the "1:X" applied....

Comichron doesn't include Diamond UK #'s & publisher digression.

They print whatever they feel like.

So all the monkey's applying "1:X" to that number can forget it...

( I've bought publisher warehouses with "1:X"'s piled to the roof. )

I don't understand why you feel the need to belabor your opinion on this point in every single thread that pertains to incentive variants. I doubt there is anyone who wonders what your thoughts are on this subject by now. I'm not even saying you are not technically correct, but come on.

But FYI "print numbers" and "distribution numbers" are not mutually exclusive. If only 500 accounts qualify for an incentive Marvel isn't going to print 2000 copies just for shigs and gittles. Hence why they have an FOC ("Final Order Cut-off") date.

-J.

Show me.

-J.

You all have been in the hobby longer than I have so I can't comment. Millennial over here. lol

I wish we knew the true print run number for these variants.I just continue to buy what I like and usually just buy modern books based on the cover art despite ratios and print runs. I.E. sucker for Campbell and Hughes.

I think the sour pusses should let people discuss the subject of the thread. If they want to attempt to completely undermine publisher dealer incentive programs, and basically call the whole thing a total fraud, they should start a thread dedicated to that fun topic. (thumbs u

-J.

I don't understand why you feel the need to belabor your opinion on this point in every single thread that pertains to incentive variants. I doubt there is anyone who wonders what your thoughts are on this subject by now. I'm not even saying you are not technically correct, but come on.

But FYI "print numbers" and "distribution numbers" are not mutually exclusive. If only 500 accounts qualify for an incentive Marvel isn't going to print 2000 copies just for shigs and gittles. Hence why they have an FOC ("Final Order Cut-off") date.

-J.

If only 500 accounts qualify for an incentive Marvel isn't going to print 2000 copies just for shigs and gittles

You DO understand that to print 500 is more expensive than to print 2-4k, right?

Edited by LarrysComics

This idea, that the Diamond order numbers reported on Comichron can be used to determine the print runs of variants, while certainly appealing on the face of it, is, and always has been, inaccurate, for the reasons you state here and others, such as newsstand distribution. Did the newsstand print run numbers, which Marvel was still printing as of these variants, have any effect on the variant numbers? The answer is both "no" and "we don't really know."

"No", because those numbers are independent of each other, and one doesn't determine the other, and "we don't really know", because Marvel doesn't make that information public. We don't know how Marvel comes up with the print runs for variants, but we DO know they are NOT tied to the order numbers for the variants, because of the scenario you provide here: Marvel and Diamond have regularly sold countless cases of "1:X" variants in numbers that obliterate the idea that they are tied to the print runs of the regular books.

And high back issue value has nothing to do with the actual number of copies in existence. 1,000-2,000-3,000 copies of ANY book are easily absorbed by the market. Spiderman #1 Platinum is always the best example. There were at least 10,000 copies printed, and yet, it still commands $100 or so in raw condition. When it first came out, there were places selling it for $500...in 1990 dollars...because it was "1 per store/retailer account."

It's a myth, but one that doesn't seem to be able to go away.

-J.

If only 500 accounts qualify for an incentive Marvel isn't going to print 2000 copies just for shigs and gittles

You DO understand that to print 500 is more expensive to print 2-4k, right?

That may or may not be true.

However I also understand that even indie publishers run micro prints all the time. So there's no reason to believe a larger publisher would find it cost prohibitive to do the same thing.

-J.

Can we get back on topic though?

lol

If anyone has these venom variants graded, I'd love to see them. Don't need to see the 678 since there is an appreciation thread for that. :roflmao:

This is on topic. The topic is "Venom month variants and their print runs", is it not? Isn't that what is being discussed?

Just for fun, let's look at the lowest sales numbers for the month, for books that had the 1:50 variants offered, which was Journey Into Mystery 633 with 23,869

The 4 previous issues with sales numbers were:

28,054 *

27,701 * (*bi weekly / 2 issues that month)

I would think that the previous few issues low sales numbers would have a bearing on how many (or few) copies of the variant to print.

Anyway, I did this list for those who would be interested in knowing

-J.

You DO understand that to print 500 is more expensive than to print 2-4k, right?

No, he does not understand that, and chooses not to understand it.

Hopefully, though, we can keep others from this misinformation.