• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to spot restoration....?
17 17

326 posts in this topic

I have a question, when is a cover being cleaned considered resto and when is it just like a press and does not lead to a Purple label?

Thanks,

-Kystix

When a cover is "wet" cleaned using solvents, water baths, etc. it's considered restoration. When a cover is "dry" cleaned using brushes, erasers, cloth, etc. it is not considered restoration.

Neither are like a press, but the wet leads to purple whilst the dry leads to blue (unless there's something hinky like a detached staple or a signature that's not been witnessed....then it it'd lead to a green (qualified) label.

That's my understanding, but I'm not an expert. I'm sure there are a billion folks here more knowledgeable than I.

I have a question, when is a cover being cleaned considered resto and when is it just like a press and does not lead to a Purple label?

Thanks,

-Kystix

When a cover is "wet" cleaned using solvents, water baths, etc. it's considered restoration. When a cover is "dry" cleaned using brushes, erasers, cloth, etc. it is not considered restoration.

Neither are like a press, but the wet leads to purple whilst the dry leads to blue (unless there's something hinky like a detached staple or a signature that's not been witnessed....then it it'd lead to a green (qualified) label.

That's my understanding, but I'm not an expert. I'm sure there are a billion folks here more knowledgeable than I.

Thank you.

Hi, newbie here!

I just put in my first submission to CGC...anxiously checking the status...the first 4 on the CGC coupon have been Verified...

Today I check the contents, and first information has appeared: my TOS 11 has a Pedigree notation of TRIMMED! Aigh! I have had this book since 1982 or so. I guess, now I will not be able to inspect it closely after I get it back without popping it out of the slab... I would never consider doing such a thing. I did not notice anything really wrong with it previous to this, but since it really was not in tip-top shape as it was, never thought that any kind of restoration had been applied to it.

Any comments? Does this usually result from a missing overhang, as noted in other threads? How much info can I get on why this determination was made?

I work as a professional art conservator and am very familiar with dry cleaning. Just know that there is some growing debate with using a "bag" as the chief complaint is that too much residue is left behind . there used to be a very good material for this which is called Skum_x from Germany and has been used since the turn of the century. Can't find it anymore except from one supplier based out of Milan Italy. I also spoke today to my Chief conservator about comics and conservation. seems that what is acceptable protocol for conservation is seen as unacceptable to comic dealers,collectors and grading companies. remember that these accepted methods of conservation have come to be through science,trial and error, and ethics,history, aand years of research. One has to understand the difference between Conservation and Restoration. As Higher Grade GA books disappear from the market books in poorer condition will have to be reevaluated . We need to start looking at older GA books as historical documents and treat them as such. what I do as a conservator on a daily basis for the Getty ,Smithsonian, and private estates is unexceptable to the majority of comic folk. What is unethical is allowing these treasures to fall apart to the point to were damage is too far gone. CGC has already embraced conservation ,and why? Because they are now Forced to embrace the inevetable. That nature and time will reclaim what was ignored

GC

I work as a professional art conservator and am very familiar with dry cleaning. Just know that there is some growing debate with using a "bag" as the chief complaint is that too much residue is left behind . there used to be a very good material for this which is called Skum_x from Germany and has been used since the turn of the century. Can't find it anymore except from one supplier based out of Milan Italy. I also spoke today to my Chief conservator about comics and conservation. seems that what is acceptable protocol for conservation is seen as unacceptable to comic dealers,collectors and grading companies. remember that these accepted methods of conservation have come to be through science,trial and error, and ethics,history, aand years of research. One has to understand the difference between Conservation and Restoration. As Higher Grade GA books disappear from the market books in poorer condition will have to be reevaluated . We need to start looking at older GA books as historical documents and treat them as such. what I do as a conservator on a daily basis for the Getty ,Smithsonian, and private estates is unexceptable to the majority of comic folk. What is unethical is allowing these treasures to fall apart to the point to were damage is too far gone. CGC has already embraced conservation ,and why? Because they are now Forced to embrace the inevetable. That nature and time will reclaim what was ignored

GC

I completely agree. The main reason I think people here don't like conservation/restoration is because of unscrupulous people in the past not disclosing it to buyers.

Personally, I have no problem buying a restored/conserved book.

GC

Welcome to the Boards!

Your knowledge will be an asset around here.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I was also thinking about "lead abatement" on books where old lead pencils have been used . Pure lead based pecils closely mimic grease pencils in feel and performance if you touch the lead it smudges on your fingers and modern pencils do not do that, with the exception of some specialized pencils .Is it unethical to PROPERLY and i mean PROPERLY remove this hazard from books? I don't know it's a way out there question and i don't mean to split hairs or turn over the rocks or put a twist on the idea take what you can use from this and leave the rest.

All the Best, Namaste

Kbron

Actual lead has not been used since graphite was discovered in the 16th century. Pencil "lead" is a mixture of graphite powder and clay that is extruded and heated at high temperatures.The higher the clay content the harder the pencil. The grade of hardness is expressed either numerically (a #4 pencil is harder than a #1 pencil) or with an alpha/numeric grade such as 4B (soft) of 4H (hard). These ranges go from the softest (9B) to the hardest (9H). You are probably thinking about the very soft pencils that can leave smudges on your hands. Those are closer to pure graphite with successively smaller amounts of clay as they get softer.

So no worries about lead poisoning. And graphite isn't toxic so no worries there.

Can you spot the color touch through the CGC case using a blacklight as well?

Not sure what other folks are gonna say, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "yes", because I have seen it visible through the case in some cases with said light.

I tried it with the only PLOD book I have. It has CT on the tips of the spine buy the CT is a shade of purple. It did not show up under the black light but I am uncertain if it would show up outside the case either. Purple and black can be tricky for the blacklight to pick up.