• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hall of Shame and Probation Rules DISCUSSION
4 4

428 posts in this topic

I just wanted to say that I will no longer accept PayPal personal payments for goods or services.

If I want the fee-free way, I will request money orders. If I want the recipient to have no fees, I will also send a money order.

Going forward, the only PayPal personal payments that I send will be money truly sent to friends or family as a gift, or in charity events that have been given the OK by PayPal. (I've been behind the scenes in about 6 charity events, and I know that PayPal has been asked for permission beforehand every time-I've called and asked before, myself)

In most cases, we know what is "the right thing to do" but sometimes we have difficulty doing it. I, for one, am appreciative of RMA reminding me of this. (thumbs u

:gossip:

:whispers: Andy, wiggle your jello slowly if he's standing right behind you.... :whispers:

jurassic-jello.gif

"Is he in the room with you? If so, blink twice!"

I just wanted to say that I will no longer accept PayPal personal payments for goods or services.

If I want the fee-free way, I will request money orders. If I want the recipient to have no fees, I will also send a money order.

Going forward, the only PayPal personal payments that I send will be money truly sent to friends or family as a gift, or in charity events that have been given the OK by PayPal. (I've been behind the scenes in about 6 charity events, and I know that PayPal has been asked for permission beforehand every time-I've called and asked before, myself)

In most cases, we know what is "the right thing to do" but sometimes we have difficulty doing it. I, for one, am appreciative of RMA reminding me of this. (thumbs u

:whispers: Andy, wiggle your jello slowly if he's standing right behind you.... :whispers:

jurassic-jello.gif

Honestly, that's a pretty cool thing for Andy to say. Incredibly rare for anyone to say anyone on here ever taught them something or changed their mind on something. Wiggly jello excepted.

Welcome to the club. (thumbs u

jurassic-jello.gif

Honestly, that's a pretty cool thing for Andy to say. Incredibly rare for anyone to say anyone on here ever taught them something or changed their mind on something. Wiggly jello excepted.

That's for sure.

In the vernacular of my family, "Andy's good people." :)

Welcome to the club. (thumbs u

I never quibble if someone requests a check or M.O. ...... it wasn't that long ago where that was the only way to pay. I've never understood the reluctance. It takes a little longer, but a fund transfer from Paypal to your account takes about the same time. I have a few buyers who actually prefer to pay by check. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

jurassic-jello.gif

That's for sure.

In the vernacular of my family, "Andy's good people." :)

He's good people, for a coinee.

Welcome to the club! I've been Paypal abuse free for a couple of years (one of those other times RMA 'spoke at length' about this topic) and like you've now done, it made me 'think'. Them folks at Paypal have actually been pretty good to me (unlike those sheet heads at eBay), and I appreciate their service, and feel that paying for that service is the right thing to do!

This thread is to discuss changes to the community-determined rules for managing the probation and hall of shame rules.

It is NOT for discussing specific incidents with board members for the purpose of deciding if they go on the list (except as examples for why the rules might need changing). There are other threads for that.

This is the board I was referring to here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=80&Number=9085218&Searchpage=1&Main=163911&Words=+PovertyRow&topic=0&Search=true#Post9085218

Nice to come back to so many familiar faces.....names? Anywho, love you guys. Someone please please tell me the story of chip cataldo ending up on the HOS.

6 hours ago, Green said:

Nice to come back to so many familiar faces.....names? Anywho, love you guys. Someone please please tell me the story of chip cataldo ending up on the HOS.

Hey Green!  :hi:

Short version is Chip was holding a sales thread and telling folks that he was in dire straights and the money from the sales would help dig him out of a hole.  People bought from him and he never followed through on the deals.  After some digging, it was found that this is a pattern of his going back to several other message boards from years ago.  Repeatedly preying on people's sympathies seems to be the issue at the heart of this. 

On May 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM, Turtle said:

On May 4, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Green said:

Hey Green!  :hi:

Short version is Chip was holding a sales thread and telling folks that he was in dire straights and the money from the sales would help dig him out of a hole.  People bought from him and he never followed through on the deals.  After some digging, it was found that this is a pattern of his going back to several other message boards from years ago.  Repeatedly preying on people's sympathies seems to be the issue at the heart of this. 

But you left out the part about the gofundme ploy. The meltdown was epic. Linkydink:

Edited by Dick Pontoon

Not sure if I'm doing this right but please add or modify Matthew Glaspie (sslim66@aol.com)

Have done business with this person before but am not having a warm fuzzy feeling on our latest transaction.

Mailed him a check for $975 for a AS #101 CGC 9.2 Offwhite pages, AUG 24 1971 stamped on front cover/Silver Surfer #4 CGC 9.0 offwhite pages on 5/3/17 to

Matthew Glaspie
166 Hiawassee ave apt 108
Knoxville TN 37917

Check has been cashed.  

Had the following email correspondence with him up until 5/11/17.  Last email was this.  Am home from Detroit and have no books and no tracking number. 

Any help with this would be appreciated.  

On 5/22/2017 at 8:22 PM, blazingbob said:
Not sure if I'm doing this right but please add or modify Matthew Glaspie (sslim66@aol.com)

Have done business with this person before but am not having a warm fuzzy feeling on our latest transaction.

Mailed him a check for $975 for a AS #101 CGC 9.2 Offwhite pages, AUG 24 1971 stamped on front cover/Silver Surfer #4 CGC 9.0 offwhite pages on 5/3/17 to

Matthew Glaspie
166 Hiawassee ave apt 108
Knoxville TN 37917

Check has been cashed.  

Had the following email correspondence with him up until 5/11/17.  Last email was this.  Am home from Detroit and have no books and no tracking number. 

Any help with this would be appreciated.  

Bob, anything new on this? 

I would like to propose the addition of a new list for buyers and sellers who don't follow through on deals.  This is for people who don't qualify for PL or HOS because the other personally was not tangibly harmed (no money or book lost or taken).

I propose the FL - the Flake List

Example: person buys book, pays for book, seller never responds to communication, and person gets money back through PayPal.

Example: Person agrees to buy a book and then never sends payment.

These are people the community should be warned about, but who arguably don't fit into PL.

Edited by Red84

28 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I would like to propose the addition of a new list for buyers and sellers who don't follow through on deals.  This is for people who don't qualify for PL or HOS because the other personally was not tangibly harmed (no money or book lost or taken).

Example: person buys book, pays for book, seller never responds to communication, and person gets money back through PayPal.

These are people the community should be warned about, but who arguably don't fit into PL.

not a terrible idea, but how many lists do we want to have? although they do have something very similar in the ebay list in CG.  I don't have a strong opinion on this either way, I think most of the people who are forced into paypal refunds or stop responding after buying a book tend to disappear anyways... but I could be wrong.

On 6/1/2017 at 3:41 PM, Red84 said:

Arguably, I think both examples might be PL worthy because they both involve people reneging on deals.

I think your larger point, though, is well taken.  As things stand, there is no way of publicly alerting other boardies to a bad buying/selling experience other than nominating someone to the PL.  Crappy packaging, very slow shipment/payment, obnoxious PM exchanges, lousy grading, misleading info in sales listing, etc. don't become known unless someone gets nominated -- and the bad behavior may well not rise to the level of a PL nomination. The obvious -- to me, at any rate :) -- solution is to have true fb threads.  But, for better or worse, the consensus of the boards -- or, at least, the consensus of those willing to take a position -- has been against having them.