• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Magicians

130 posts in this topic

Found out Syfy had aired the 1st episode mid-December commercial-free so I watched that. Really enjoyed it. Pulled me in and left me wanting more.

Also found out Comcast bought Syfy and their app disappeared on Roku. Dumb move, when many premium-content providers are detaching themselves from cable-only. Less eyeballs for The Magicians, even if it does turn out to be good.

Found out Syfy had aired the 1st episode mid-December commercial-free so I watched that. Really enjoyed it. Pulled me in and left me wanting more.

Also found out Comcast bought Syfy and their app disappeared on Roku. Dumb move, when many premium-content providers are detaching themselves from cable-only. Less eyeballs for The Magicians, even if it does turn out to be good.

Saw it. What a great show!

:applause:

Thanks for calling this out.

THE MAGICIANS Pilot Streaming Online For Free

Next on SyFy’s schedule is The Magicians. They’ve already secretly aired the pilot for the series, based on Lev Grossman’s novels, late one night, and now they’ve made it available to stream for free on YouTube.

The Magicians Episode 1

If the cliffhanger is killing you, don’t worry. When the episode officially airs on Syfy on Jan. 25, it will immediately be followed by Episode 2.

Syfy’s ‘The Magicians’ Faithfully Translates a Beloved Book Series to TV

It’s perfectly suited to a television audience hooked on the postmodern genre fare of Game of Thrones, which indulges in some of high fantasy’s greatest thrills even as it undercuts others. It’s also a tricky thing to adapt while keeping its ethos intact.

Yet Syfy’s attempt, the first since the series’ final installment was released in the summer of 2014, is off to a promising start. Authorized by Grossman himself, who has a writing credit on one of the first season’s 13 episodes, and shepherded into being by TV natives like Sera Gamble (formerly a writer/producer for Aquarius and Supernatural) and John McNamara (also of Aquarius, and recent biopic/Bryan Cranston vehicle Trumbo), The Magicians may have neither the special effects nor the star power of higher-profile adaptations, yet it maintains its source material’s essential core: its themes of fantasy as escapism, and the inability of fantasies come true to provide true escape.

The Magicians’ greatest thrill parallels Quentin’s: witnessing a beloved story exit the page and come alive.

The Magicians premieres on Monday, January 25 at 9 pm on Syfy.

The Magic Of The Magicians: EP & Star Discuss Harry Potter Inspiration, Magical Finger-Tutting, & More

Tonight, Syfy officially premieres its latest original series, The Magicians, an adaptation of the fantasy novel trilogy written by Lev Grossman that will transport viewers to a world of modern magic.

The source material has often been paraphrased as “Harry Potter for adults,” following a group of gifted young magicians attending Brakebills University, a school in upstate New York where they learn to use their power. Of course, with an unofficial logline like that, comparisons to J.K. Rowling’s work are inescapable. In a phone conference with ComicBook.com and a small group of reporters, executive producer Sera Gamble says she both embraces that, but feels the series is more than what the elevator pitch would suggest.

“The idea for The Magicians came because [Grossman] was waiting for that next Harry Potter book that was taking too :censored: long,” Gamble explains. “And he kind of did this thought exercise that was instantly appealing to me when I read the books that I think it’s something that a lot of people do, which is apply the tropes and the stories of a fantasy story to your own life.

That is interesting. No wonder why it has that feeling.

Saw Episode 2 last night. Not bad!

:applause:

Knowing there is this alternate school that teaches dark magic at the same time you are learning about the light side training Quentin, it changes it up from Harry Potter. Especially since it is his sister being trained in the darker magic after being turned away from Brakebills University.

There is a small amount of confusion who is truly bad, as there are some secrets being kept by a few characters.

Oh man! I missed that.

When they were laying on the bed together, and her boyfriend came in and jumped on the bed, I thought it was because she was his sister that he didn't really get concerned.

doh!

Yeah, it would be easy to misinterpret. You can see the dynamic when the boyfriend/best friend calls Quentin to come help with her moodiness.

Quentin is long-suffering and it helps explain why he had self-admitted to a nuthouse. Julia's his lifelong anchor, and without her he's completely adrift.

I want to like this but there are a few things with shows like this (and how they did similar in HP) that bugs me. It's where the magical world people seem to act like everything in there world is and should be common knowledge, especially to the newly introduced, almost to the point of being insulting to the newbies.

At least Julia acts like we would act; Magic is real / embrace it!

as opposed to; Magic is real? I can't believe it?!?! (annoying)

my 2 cent rant....