• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Store from start to finish
1 1

132 posts in this topic

WHen you have a moment, howabout some thoughts on 'why' you're interested in opening up a shop at this time, and how you came to that decision, along with what you did to prepare, even before looking for a space?

The physical stuff is important, but the motivations for these types of things are always the most interesting to me. Of course these things can be deeply personal too, so its understandable if you want to keep things to nuts and bolts. Either way, I look forward to seeing what goes into it.

WHen you have a moment, howabout some thoughts on 'why' you're interested in opening up a shop at this time, and how you came to that decision, along with what you did to prepare, even before looking for a space?

The physical stuff is important, but the motivations for these types of things are always the most interesting to me. Of course these things can be deeply personal too, so its understandable if you want to keep things to nuts and bolts. Either way, I look forward to seeing what goes into it.

+1

I would love to hear about it as well, if it's possible. :foryou:

Agreed. What's your motivation, your business plan, what do you plan to specialize in and what do you hope to do better than any other local comic store?

No problem.

The why is because my son was born this year and i want to spend more time at home, i did shows before this and was on the road every month, 2 shows a month sometimes more. It was great, profitable, traveling, but i want to stay at home and see my son. He means everything to me and is only "why" in my case. I will still do shows but it wont be anywhere near the amount i was doing before. Ill probably do the bigger shows. Ill skip setting up at all shows until Chicago though, i might just go and buy/travel with the family until then. As far as preparing, no preparation.

Agreed. What's your motivation, your business plan, what do you plan to specialize in and what do you hope to do better than any other local comic store?

Motivation was my son. Dont want to miss out on him because i stayed a show dealer.

Business plan. This was a little hard for me because i thought i was going to need one. I mean, i have read other threads about people opening a store and looking for advice and one thing that was a common reply from others was, come up with a solid business plan. I mean its solid advice. Anyone not im my shoes should probably have one written down. I am fortunate enough that this doesnt have to be the case. Ill get a lot of flak for that answer but i will explain. Ill do it in a list, i think it might be easier. I dont get my point across very well most times. In person its different, i think. Board members who i have met might be able to understand me but sometimes i think most cant.

1. Im in a fortunate position in life, through marriage, that i was able to set aside $50k for me to Get the store running and if its lost, it would suck hard but wont break the bank and would probably just get me grounded for a few weeks.

2. I have been selling comics full time already for 3 years or so. 2 years fully doing shows and 1 year doing strictly ebay. Both were profitable for me. Contacts were made.

3. I originally planned to get a warehouse/storage space for my inventory. My wife wants my garage back. I have around 200 longboxes in the garage and more in the basement and my comic business needs to move out of my house. Wife wants the house back.

4.my plan changed to making it a store because buying new comics and toys and cards opens my inventory to other things. Id be able to have lots of different stuff at big shows instead of comics. Besides i make enough selling online to other people that adding in a lease and new diamond inventory wouldnt be bad, still would make profit.

5. Unless i have lots of contacts that these 20+ year dealers have, nothing will ever beat have a physical location that customers can bring books to sell. My clostest dealer friends have always told me to get a location for people to bring their stuff in to sell. Its awesome what walks in those doors. 1 new york dealer was telling me what walks in those doors will will be what makes you money. Besides, i think people are getting tired of bringing things to my house/garage for me to buy.

This was the next step for me honestly. I hope that answers my business plan of it. If not, im sorry, again i cant communicate well.

My specialization will be comics. I know thats way too general for me to say, i think you want, "golden age, modern, cards, etc.". It might be that way where most people live. But in georgia, its not as specific as we all want it to be. The comic stores here are weird. There is only 1 place to go for keys, daves in Fayetteville. The other stores have keys sure, or know what keys are sure, but they dont have dedicated customers specifically for that, only dave's. Most of us georgia board members frequesnt his place all the time. I will specialize in books that sell. Ill stock magic, pokeymans(i know but its what i call it) toys, but i really only want peoples comics. Im not sure if ill do anything better than any store here, but i wont have to try hard. In person im really easy to get along with, ill pay more for books than all the stores, and i cut deals like nobody else, besides dave that is lol. Good thing he's been helping me. In short, like i said above, this is a location to store stuff and have people come sell me stuff. The "store" is secondary and gives the illusion to my son that daddy is "working". I have local people i can call that will buy slabs and keys any day, i wouldnt really need to worry about new customers walking through the door to make rent that month.

I hope this answers some questions but hopefully all right now. Thanks. I love you.

Sounds like you are in a fortunate situation. I know David Pike on these boards had a similar good situation and posted his beginnings of shopping for space, then setting up the store, then the various promotions he held at the location. It was interesting to see the evolution of the space, and he has always been very sharp about what is hot right now in terms of shiny modern drek. He also always had a good well paying job in addition to store.

I have logged my years doing hundreds of shows, like you, a good 2 per month. That particular experience gives you great insight into current market trends, and more buying and selling opps than any sleepy town store could dream of, but has the downside of physically breaking you being on the road.

Long time contact of mine had 2 stores in my area at one time, then one, then closed shop and just does ebay. He does 500 fresh auction listings a week, and when I asked him about that vs store he said he does 10 times better than when he had the mountain of store expenses.

Another type of business model I know about we can call G, who travels as a customer to shows, is very savy bulk buyer always plugged into gpa. He will spend thousands at a show for material to press and grade and then its about plugging those pieces into various auctions. He also always had a good job as well as being a family dude. If I was smarter I would go that path, as the setting up at dozens of shows a year after you are on wrong side of 40 absolutely breaks you physically, at least for me it leaves me beat up.

1 1