• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

So question:

If a buyer and a seller come to terms in a PM, then the seller decides that the buyer isn't paying fast enough and pulls the offer, does the buyer have a leg to stand on concerning a possible PL nomination?

This assumes the seller won't sell to the buyer and the buyer has no means to communicate with the seller.

Out them

Here are the rules as they were written:

RULES No HOS'ers or Probies, POS's

"I'll Take It" sign (or text) posted in the thread wins over PM's.

Note: Paypal only, payment must be received within 48 hours or book will be relisted.

Price shown is shipped to the USA. No overseas shipping.

Returns accepted within 7 days, but buyer pays return shipping.

And here's a rough outline of how the PM went:

Me: inquired about book on 12/4 at 11:39 am; had back and forth discussions about it, why I felt it was worth "x" and why seller thought it was worth "y". Made offer at 12:25 for $1600 via check or other fee-free methods.

Seller: says he will think about it at 12:30 pm

Me: says LMK; I can deliver payment very quickly (this was a Friday afternoon)

Seller: at 4:47 pm, seller counters at $1750

Me: at 9:00 pm, I respond saying I cannot justify at that price

At some point between then an 7 pm on 12/5, I received a PM that said I could have the book at $1600. When I got back online, that PM had since been deleted. I asked about this on 12/5 at 6:46 pm (Saturday - I was out of town and busy all day Saturday and Sunday)

Seller: at 8:24, says he didn't hear back from me (and pulled the PM) but if I wanted it, it would be mine. He marked it sold.

Me: on 12/7 at 12:07 pm, I asked for PayPal info to submit payment; seller responds with email address at 1:31 pm

At 2:17 am on 12/8, seller sends a PM stating that he's putting the book back up for sale at a higher price and that I didn't pay fast enough, saying that he doesn't have to wait forever

Seller removes himself from the PM at 2:23 am

For the record, I was sleeping at 2 am Sunday night

Thoughts?

Note: Paypal only, payment must be received within 48 hours or book will be relisted.

And here's a rough outline of how the PM went:

Me: inquired about book on 12/4 at 11:39 am; had back and forth discussions about it, why I felt it was worth "x" and why seller thought it was worth "y". Made offer at 12:25 for $1600 via check or other fee-free methods.

Seller: says he will think about it at 12:30 pm

Me: says LMK; I can deliver payment very quickly (this was a Friday afternoon)

Seller: at 4:47 pm, seller counters at $1750

Me: at 9:00 pm, I respond saying I cannot justify at that price

At some point between then an 7 pm on 12/5, I received a PM that said I could have the book at $1600. When I got back online, that PM had since been deleted. I asked about this on 12/5 at 6:46 pm (Saturday - I was out of town and busy all day Saturday and Sunday)

Seller: at 8:24, says he didn't hear back from me (and pulled the PM) but if I wanted it, it would be mine. He marked it sold.

Me: on 12/7 at 12:07 pm, I asked for PayPal info to submit payment; seller responds with email address at 1:31 pm

At 2:17 am on 12/8, seller sends a PM stating that he's putting the book back up for sale at a higher price and that I didn't pay fast enough, saying that he doesn't have to wait forever

Thoughts?

12 hours is too much time to wait? meh

Sounds like a deal was made and then the seller backed out after having second thoughts. I personally think it's probation list worthy.

Some devil's advocacy: Does anyone think it could be argued that the seller's 48 hour clock began running at 8:24pm on 12/5? If so, it follows that payment was not on time, per the seller's 48 hour rule.

Of course, this is splitting hairs...but, we're already in hair-splitting mode, and anytime hairs need splitting, the "personal list/moving on" option starts looking good...

Some devil's advocacy: Does anyone think it could be argued that the seller's 48 hour clock began running at 8:24pm on 12/5? If so, it follows that payment was not on time, per the seller's 48 hour rule.

Of course, this is splitting hairs...but, we're already in hair-splitting mode, and anytime hairs need splitting, the "personal list/moving on" option starts looking good...

Yes...I could see how you can make that argument, and in fact, it would be a good argument.

However, I ask this:

I offered PayPal personal (since I have bought many items from seller) but did not have PayPal email address until 12/7. Since I was exhausted after an all day show (not a particularly good excuse, but truth nonetheless), I was going to square up on 12/8 when I got into the office.

I felt that the clock started when the payment info was received. Perhaps I'm wrong. However, if I was going to send a check, the earliest it could have gone out would be 12/8.

Interesting point though.....I won't say it's not valid.

I just went back in to cgc boards and I sold this person the whole 666 and I said he did not receive 3 of them I sent the 3 again and he said he receive nothing then he said he received one of them so he wanted me to give him like 100 each for the 2 and I told him no that I would get him the comics after that I never heard back from him until now I tryed to email thru eBay but it was not working so now I'm a fraud even though I sold comics for 3 years and never a complain from anybody. Don't call me a fraud. If you want the comics That you don't have I will get the one that are missing.

Thank you seerojas

I just went back in to cgc boards and I sold this person the whole 666 and I said he did not receive 3 of them I sent the 3 again and he said he receive nothing then he said he received one of them so he wanted me to give him like 100 each for the 2 and I told him no that I would get him the comics after that I never heard back from him until now I tryed to email thru eBay but it was not working so now I'm a fraud even though I sold comics for 3 years and never a complain from anybody. Don't call me a fraud. If you want the comics That you don't have I will get the one that are missing.

Thank you seerojas

hm

Thank you seerojas

ummm....what?

Thank you seerojas

ummm....what?

The man is obviously talking to himself hm

Thank you seerojas

ummm....what?

3t0d2b_zps2f619db3.jpg

It may be that the seller saw it that way, but that would be, in my view, not credible. A counter offer is by definition not an agreement, and a change of heart on the seller's part does not carry with it a rightful presumption that the buyer is obliged to accept the original terms.

Everything about the negotiation was tentative up until the point the buyer asked for the paypal and the seller sent it, signalling that there was than an agreement.

Seller was uncomfortable from the start with the price, and looked for the first loophole out. Does not inspire confidence, but I would not recommend PL on this one, just my 2c

Thank you seerojas

Checkerboard reject pancakes. Hubris regards Pat Sajak triumph under fig stake. Rumpus dig butter gut hug jump. Ralph pro titan yawn!!

Thank you seerojas

Checkerboard reject pancakes. Hubris regards Pat Sajak triumph under fig stake. Rumpus dig butter gut hug jump. Ralph pro titan yawn!!

x6iM2TD.jpg

:cloud9:

I'm not fluent in seerojas, but a search on his name turned this up:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=80&Number=8263968&Searchpage=1&Main=163911&Words=seerojas&topic=0&Search=true#Post8263968

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8267315Post8267315

So it looks like his post was referring to a bungled ASM #666 variants transaction with Dutch74.

Paging Dutch if you're out there...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=80&Number=8263968&Searchpage=1&Main=163911&Words=seerojas&topic=0&Search=true#Post8263968

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8267315Post8267315

So it looks like his post was referring to a bungled ASM #666 variants transaction with Dutch74.

(worship)(worship)

My God, is this still going on? That link is to December of last year?!